Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Weird sound problem

Weird sound problem

Jamie

Hi all,

I'm running XP sp2 (and can provide anymore system details upon request--not
sure what else I need to give for a problem like this) and having a really
annoying problem with the sound. On a few programs that play sound, I have
no trouble whatsoever, they're fine. But on 90% of things, I have a static
that plays at the same time as music or whatever. Itunes is especially bad
(and it also skips a bit sometimes), as is Windows Media Player and even
just background noises, if that makes any sense. If I leave the volume on
while I'm using Windows Explorer, there's a loud popping or clicking noise
when I load a new folder and it sometimes does this when I use Firefox. And
to be able to hear music enough to listen to it, I have to have the speakers
turned up almost all the way. So my question--is this a problem with my
sound card or my speakers? Again, I can provide any additional detail you
need and thank you in advance.

Jamie

sandy58

On Aug 5, 5:39 am, "Jamie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running XP sp2 (and can provide anymore system details upon request--not
> sure what else I need to give for a problem like this) and having a really
> annoying problem with the sound. On a few programs that play sound, I have
> no trouble whatsoever, they're fine. But on 90% of things, I have a static
> that plays at the same time as music or whatever. Itunes is especially bad
> (and it also skips a bit sometimes), as is Windows Media Player and even
> just background noises, if that makes any sense. If I leave the volume on
> while I'm using Windows Explorer, there's a loud popping or clicking noise
> when I load a new folder and it sometimes does this when I use Firefox. And
> to be able to hear music enough to listen to it, I have to have the speakers
> turned up almost all the way. So my question--is this a problem with my
> sound card or my speakers? Again, I can provide any additional detail you
> need and thank you in advance.
>
> Jamie

Check in "device manager">"sounds, video & games" for any faults. (wee
yellow signs
Reload your sound card drivers.
Open "volume control" and check there too. ie:all properties open &
only "mic" checked/ticked.
If you have a slot-in (as different to integral MB sound card) sound
card, slip it out of the slot & replace it.
Do the same with all sound connectors to m'board, cd/dvd drives.
If this makes no difference you have to consider your software, codecs
etc then your speakers but speakers don't sound like they are done.
Good luck, Jamie
Repost if you need codecs.

babaloo

Tic tic tic: something may be causing electrical interference with the
digital stream.
If this is it you can hear the same thing at times with interference in
digital phones (the new Iphone is supposedly extremely susceptible to this).
If this is a new problem and you have motherboard based sound all is not
lost.
Make sure all boards, memory chips etc are firmly seated.
Make sure all cable are snugly inserted and not hitting against anything,
like a fan.
On the other hand, have you tried using other speakers or earphones to make
sure its not a problem at that end?

Jamie

Sorry I'm so long responding! Real life tends to get in the way
sometimes...

*Check in "device manager">"sounds, video & games" for any faults. (wee
yellow signs

Nothin'.

*Reload your sound card drivers.

Not sure I know how to do that. ::feels really stupid::

*Open "volume control" and check there too. ie:all properties open & only
"mic" checked/ticked.

Everything looks all right there, too.

*If you have a slot-in (as different to integral MB sound card) sound card,
slip it out of the slot & replace it.

It's a MB sound card.

*Do the same with all sound connectors to m'board, cd/dvd drives.

Can do, but tomorrow.

*If this makes no difference you have to consider your software, codecs etc
then your speakers but speakers don't sound like they are done.

I went ahead and got new speakers; the old ones were a set of cheapies
(should've tried that before I bugged y'all, I guess--sorry). Sounds
excellent, no more static or popping, but if I'm listening to music (seems
like it only does this on iTunes) and I try to load a page on Firefox, the
music skips a lot. It'll also do that when I scroll on a page, too, and a
few other random times.

*Good luck, Jamie

Thank you!

*Repost if you need codecs.

I think I need codecs. When I tried to update them through device manager,
it said it couldn't find anything better than what I have installed.

Thank you again, your help is greatly appreciated!

Jamie

Jamie

Again, sorry I'm so long responding. This past week or so's been very
hectic for me.

*Tic tic tic: something may be causing electrical interference with the
digital stream. If this is it you can hear the same thing at times with
interference in digital phones (the new Iphone is supposedly extremely
susceptible to this).

It's not so much a ticking as a staticky popping. As I told the other
responder to my question, my old speakers were crap and I replaced them (as
I should've done before I bugged you nice folks). I've got a much higher
quality of sound, needless to say, and the static and popping is gone, but
my sound still skips a lot. I tried updating the drivers and codecs, but I
had all the most current stuff already.

*If this is a new problem and you have motherboard based sound all is not
lost.

Yes, I have MB-based sound. I guess I should've mentioned that before; my
apologies.

*Make sure all boards, memory chips etc are firmly seated.
*Make sure all cable are snugly inserted and not hitting against anything,
like a fan.

I'll have to do that tomorrow, though I'm kind of thinking that the
skipping's caused by something else, maybe? Would something like that be
caused by not enough RAM? It seems to only do it when I'm doing something
at the same time as playing music or whatever. iTunes is the worst for it;
it skips like mad if I try to load a new page on Firefox or to scroll the
page. It also does it at other random moments, but it's usually during some
action I'm trying to take.

*On the other hand, have you tried using other speakers or earphones to make
sure its not a problem at that end?

Yes, like I said above, I should've tried that first. I just didn't want to
have to go out and buy speakers if there was nothing wrong with the old
ones. But then I remembered how little I paid for the old ones, as well as
how long I'd had them, and figured it was a worthwhile investment.

Thank you SO much,

Jamie