Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > heat sink fan comes on for 2 seconds, stops

heat sink fan comes on for 2 seconds, stops

plaidthermos@hotmail.com

hello,
apologies if this is not the right group to post this, please point me
in the right direction.

i have a computer, i'm afraid i'm not too sure of the specs. i
believe the cpu is intel. the computer would not start at all when
pushing the front power button. not even a click. after flipping the
back power switch to off and back to on, the front power button would
cause the computer to come on for a couple seconds, see a black screen
with "windows loading" or some such on it, and then turn off. pushing
the front power button would not do anything after that until the back
power switch was flipped again, and then the front power button would
give the 2 seconds on again, et cetera.

i replaced the atx power supply, and this is what happens now:

after plugging in the power supply and flipping the back switch to on,
_without touching the front power button_, the computer powers up.
with the case open, i can see that the fan on the heat sink comes on
for about two seconds and then stops. i _believe_ i hear sounds from
the hard drive as well. there is NO activity on the screen
whatsoever. pushing the front power button has no effect, nor does
holding it down. the green power light on the front lights
continuously. the red light does not appear. the only way to get it
out of this state is to turn the back power switch back to off.

i removed three expansion cards (one modem, two network cards), and
tried powering up with the same result. i have reseated the ram.

if anyone has any advice, i would greatly appreciate it. i really
don't know much about electronics, and not familiar with the proper
vocabulary for much of what is inside the computer.

thank you,
-k

sandy58

On Aug 4, 8:42 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> hello,
> apologies if this is not the right group to post this, please point me
> in the right direction.
>
> i have a computer, i'm afraid i'm not too sure of the specs. i
> believe the cpu is intel. the computer would not start at all when
> pushing the front power button. not even a click. after flipping the
> back power switch to off and back to on, the front power button would
> cause the computer to come on for a couple seconds, see a black screen
> with "windows loading" or some such on it, and then turn off. pushing
> the front power button would not do anything after that until the back
> power switch was flipped again, and then the front power button would
> give the 2 seconds on again, et cetera.
>
> i replaced the atx power supply, and this is what happens now:
>
> after plugging in the power supply and flipping the back switch to on,
> _without touching the front power button_, the computer powers up.
> with the case open, i can see that the fan on the heat sink comes on
> for about two seconds and then stops. i _believe_ i hear sounds from
> the hard drive as well. there is NO activity on the screen
> whatsoever. pushing the front power button has no effect, nor does
> holding it down. the green power light on the front lights
> continuously. the red light does not appear. the only way to get it
> out of this state is to turn the back power switch back to off.
>
> i removed three expansion cards (one modem, two network cards), and
> tried powering up with the same result. i have reseated the ram.
>
> if anyone has any advice, i would greatly appreciate it. i really
> don't know much about electronics, and not familiar with the proper
> vocabulary for much of what is inside the computer.
>
> thank you,
> -k

Glossary of PC terms etc.
http://pctermdefinitions.com/
Codecs downloads
http://www.codec-download.com/top.php
PC repair forum
http://p201.ezboard.com/bpcparamedics

Start>click My Computer>right-click on blank space on page.
You will see your PC specs there.
Is the heat sink clean? (no gunk between the cooling fins)
Did you use the contact paste to "seat" your cpu?
(Central Processing Unit under the heat sink)
Did you check with your agent/supplier for the correct power supply?
Repost if needed, -k

plaidthermos@hotmail.com

> Glossary of PC terms etc.http://pctermdefinitions.com/
> Codecs downloadshttp://www.codec-download.com/top.php
> PC repair forumhttp://p201.ezboard.com/bpcparamedics
>
> Start>click My Computer>right-click on blank space on page.
> You will see your PC specs there.
> Is the heat sink clean? (no gunk between the cooling fins)
> Did you use the contact paste to "seat" your cpu?
> (Central Processing Unit under the heat sink)
> Did you check with your agent/supplier for the correct power supply?
> Repost if needed, -k

you don't seem to understand. there is no beep, no screen activity of
any kind when the power comes on, so "clicking my computer" is fairly
useless advice.

however, i did some research and i think i have identified many of the
components:

motherboard
fastfame 3slap

This slot socket 370 motherbaord uses the Intel i815EP chipset. It
features 6 PCI,1 CNR, AGP 4x, 3 dimm slots, and AC'97. The board
supports 66/11/133 MHz FSB, and UDMA 33/66/100. It comes with 2MB
Flash EEPROM, Award BIOS.

PC100 SDRAM (2 pieces)
IBM 01K1138

Matrox 32MB DDR AGP (256B Dual-head) video card
G45+MDHA32DB

i did not build this computer, so i couldn't say whether contact paste
was used.

the new power supply i put in is 250W, which is the same as the one i
removed.

the computer is not any particular brand name, it appears to be either
home- or custom-built. there is no printed documentation with it.

-k

plaidthermos@hotmail.com

> Glossary of PC terms etc.http://pctermdefinitions.com/
> Codecs downloadshttp://www.codec-download.com/top.php
> PC repair forumhttp://p201.ezboard.com/bpcparamedics
>
> Start>click My Computer>right-click on blank space on page.
> You will see your PC specs there.
> Is the heat sink clean? (no gunk between the cooling fins)
> Did you use the contact paste to "seat" your cpu?
> (Central Processing Unit under the heat sink)
> Did you check with your agent/supplier for the correct power supply?
> Repost if needed, -k

oh, and yes, the heat sink is full of furry dust. i have looked up
several pages about how to remove the cpu//heat sink, but none of the
pictures i have found seem to match what i have. i'm pretty sure it
is a slot (not zif) socketk though. i don't see any retention clips
on the heat sink like any i have seen on any pages though, and i can't
figure out how to get it off.

thanks,
-k

sandy58

On Aug 5, 2:29 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Glossary of PC terms etc.http://pctermdefinitions.com/
> > Codecs downloadshttp://www.codec-download.com/top.php
> > PC repair forumhttp://p201.ezboard.com/bpcparamedics

> > Start>click My Computer>right-click on blank space on page.
> > You will see your PC specs there.
> > Is the heat sink clean? (no gunk between the cooling fins)
> > Did you use the contact paste to "seat" your cpu?
> > (Central Processing Unit under the heat sink)
> > Did you check with your agent/supplier for the correct power supply?
> > Repost if needed, -k

> oh, and yes, the heat sink is full of furry dust. i have looked up
> several pages about how to remove the cpu//heat sink, but none of the
> pictures i have found seem to match what i have. i'm pretty sure it
> is a slot (not zif) socketk though. i don't see any retention clips
> on the heat sink like any i have seen on any pages though, and i can't
> figure out how to get it off.
>
> thanks,
> -k

>Start>click My Computer>right-click on blank space on page.
>You will see your PC specs there.

Sorry, this was advice on how to see specs.
Seems like daft advice if you can't see ANYTHING!
You can't even get into your bios.
You could buy a can of compressed air comes with a long thin nozzle
for blowing out the fins on the heat sink. Most PC outlets have them
on sale. About the on/off switching. It's quite usual for the PC to
restart when you have switched off using the rear power switch. When
did the problems start? Have you had it running properly recently or
have you just got it & from where? Why I am asking is, could you get
any history about it? If, as you say, you are not comfortable going
into the guts of it, your best bet is find someone who knows to have a
look at it. If the CPU WAS overheating you would at least get a few
minutes running from a cold start.
You obviously have access to the 'net so check out these two links.

The Other Doug

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

>> Glossary of PC terms etc.http://pctermdefinitions.com/
>> Codecs downloadshttp://www.codec-download.com/top.php
>> PC repair forumhttp://p201.ezboard.com/bpcparamedics
>>
>> Start>click My Computer>right-click on blank space on page.
>> You will see your PC specs there.
>> Is the heat sink clean? (no gunk between the cooling fins)
>> Did you use the contact paste to "seat" your cpu?
>> (Central Processing Unit under the heat sink)
>> Did you check with your agent/supplier for the correct power supply?
>> Repost if needed, -k

> oh, and yes, the heat sink is full of furry dust. i have looked up
> several pages about how to remove the cpu//heat sink, but none of the
> pictures i have found seem to match what i have. i'm pretty sure it
> is a slot (not zif) socketk though. i don't see any retention clips
> on the heat sink like any i have seen on any pages though, and i can't
> figure out how to get it off.
>
> thanks,
> -k

Just a thought....and it may sound stupid but it happened to me once. I had
an issue with my PC shutting down and/or freezing up. As it turned out my
video card was at fault. After replacing the video card I attempted to fire
up the PC only to have it go back off. Then it wouldn't start at all with
the power switch....then the weirdest of things happened....the cpu and case
fans went to cycling on and off and on and off as if possessed. After a bit
of prodding around I found that I had somehow dislodged the main power
connector from the mother board....just enough so that is was loosely making
occasional light contact. My guess is that initially there was partial
contact allowing the system to start the fans but no power to other
necessary circuits. Then no contact therefore not power through the switch.
Then the light contact that would power on the fans causing vibration or air
movement to lose contact causing it to power off allowing contact again
powering up and shutting off and so on...

All this to say don't overlook the obvious. Check to make sure that your
connectors to the mother board are secure. There should be a long one with
a dozen or so pins and then possibly another square one perhaps 4 pins.
Might just as well check the power connections to your drives while you're
in there....and even your IDE or SATA connectors.