Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Server Down

Reply
Thread Tools

Server Down

 
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2007
Apparently my gnuish new newsserver was down for quite a while so if'n ya
cussed me out and I didn' cuss ya back, that's why.

I'm a-thinkin' I oughter transmigrate to Google Groups maybe.

--
Neredbojias
Half lies are worth twice as much as whole lies.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2007
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 04 Aug 2007 02:11:24
GMT Neredbojias scribed:

> Apparently my gnuish new newsserver was down for quite a while so if'n
> ya cussed me out and I didn' cuss ya back, that's why.
>
> I'm a-thinkin' I oughter transmigrate to Google Groups maybe.


Yeah, I should've included that a whole bunch of recent posts are missing
(to me).

--
Neredbojias
Half lies are worth twice as much as whole lies.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2007
Neredbojias wrote:
> Apparently my gnuish new newsserver was down for quite a while so if'n ya
> cussed me out and I didn' cuss ya back, that's why.


Which one's that?

> I'm a-thinkin' I oughter transmigrate to Google Groups maybe.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups.
Except in Thunderbird, which can't filter that well.
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
cwdjrxyz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2007
On Aug 3, 9:12 pm, Neredbojias <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 04 Aug 2007 02:11:24
> GMT Neredbojias scribed:
>
> > Apparently my gnuish new newsserver was down for quite a while so if'n
> > ya cussed me out and I didn' cuss ya back, that's why.

>
> > I'm a-thinkin' I oughter transmigrate to Google Groups maybe.

>
> Yeah, I should've included that a whole bunch of recent posts are missing
> (to me).
>
> --
> Neredbojias
> Half lies are worth twice as much as whole lies.


It is good to have more than one newsreader, as most I have seen have
problems from time to time. Google groups requires no sign up just to
read. To post there, about all you need is an email address that is
working at the moment so they can confirm you have an address. After
you are signed up you can delete the email address or set to dump all
incoming mail to avoid spam if you wish. Even if you like to use all
of the fancy filtering, etc that some news readers have, Google is a
good backup and alone it serves the needs of many. Your posting name
is unusual enough that there is a good chance that it is not taken on
Google or most newsreaders. Thus, if you can use the same name, many
would not notice if you are posting on your backup reader unless they
examined the headers.

 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2007
In article
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
cwdjrxyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Yeah, I should've included that a whole bunch of recent posts are missing
> > (to me).
> >
> > --
> > Neredbojias
> > Half lies are worth twice as much as whole lies.

>
> It is good to have more than one newsreader,


Yes, in Boji's case he should have a _million_ newsreaders. Then
he could take more time reading posts from every which angle and
less on talking so much useless rubbish. I have one newsreader
and I keep very stringent control on what is worth saying and
that is why I have built the reputation I have. I am willing to
sell this reputation, anyone interested?

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2007
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 04 Aug 2007 03:00:41
GMT cwdjrxyz scribed:

> It is good to have more than one newsreader, as most I have seen have
> problems from time to time. Google groups requires no sign up just to
> read. To post there, about all you need is an email address that is
> working at the moment so they can confirm you have an address. After
> you are signed up you can delete the email address or set to dump all
> incoming mail to avoid spam if you wish. Even if you like to use all
> of the fancy filtering, etc that some news readers have, Google is a
> good backup and alone it serves the needs of many. Your posting name
> is unusual enough that there is a good chance that it is not taken on
> Google or most newsreaders. Thus, if you can use the same name, many
> would not notice if you are posting on your backup reader unless they
> examined the headers.


You speak the truth but I can't seem to get used to the gg article layout.
However, it's nice to have it as a backup.

--
Neredbojias
Half lies are worth twice as much as whole lies.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2007
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 04 Aug 2007 03:43:43
GMT dorayme scribed:

> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> cwdjrxyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> > Yeah, I should've included that a whole bunch of recent posts are
>> > missing (to me).
>> >
>> > --
>> > Neredbojias
>> > Half lies are worth twice as much as whole lies.

>>
>> It is good to have more than one newsreader,

>
> Yes, in Boji's case he should have a _million_ newsreaders. Then
> he could take more time reading posts from every which angle and
> less on talking so much useless rubbish. I have one newsreader
> and I keep very stringent control on what is worth saying and
> that is why I have built the reputation I have. I am willing to
> sell this reputation, anyone interested?


Uh, it was the _newsserver_ giving me problems, not my _newsreader_, Miss
Stringent-Control-on-what-is-worth-saying. (Hah!)

--
Neredbojias
Half lies are worth twice as much as whole lies.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2007
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 04 Aug 2007 02:50:40
GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

> Neredbojias wrote:
>> Apparently my gnuish new newsserver was down for quite a while so
>> if'n ya cussed me out and I didn' cuss ya back, that's why.

>
> Which one's that?


UsenetMonster. $2.95 per month: 10 gigs. Cheap, but if I spent much more,
I might just as well get a discount dial-up account (-like I had before for
$8.95/mo.)

--
Neredbojias
Half lies are worth twice as much as whole lies.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2007
Neredbojias wrote:
> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 04 Aug 2007 03:00:41
> GMT cwdjrxyz scribed:
>
>> It is good to have more than one newsreader, as most I have seen have
>> problems from time to time. Google groups requires no sign up just to
>> read. To post there, about all you need is an email address that is
>> working at the moment so they can confirm you have an address. After
>> you are signed up you can delete the email address or set to dump all
>> incoming mail to avoid spam if you wish. Even if you like to use all
>> of the fancy filtering, etc that some news readers have, Google is a
>> good backup and alone it serves the needs of many. Your posting name
>> is unusual enough that there is a good chance that it is not taken on
>> Google or most newsreaders. Thus, if you can use the same name, many
>> would not notice if you are posting on your backup reader unless they
>> examined the headers.

>
> You speak the truth but I can't seem to get used to the gg article layout.
> However, it's nice to have it as a backup.


Luckly, kill filters *do* examine the headers.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups.
Except in Thunderbird, which can't filter that well.
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2007
Neredbojias wrote:
> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 04 Aug 2007 02:50:40
> GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:
>
>> Neredbojias wrote:
>>> Apparently my gnuish new newsserver was down for quite a while so
>>> if'n ya cussed me out and I didn' cuss ya back, that's why.

>>
>> Which one's that?

>
> UsenetMonster. $2.95 per month: 10 gigs. Cheap, but if I spent much more,


Ah. I thought since it went down you might be posting from a backup.

> I might just as well get a discount dial-up account (-like I had before for
> $8.95/mo.)


I don't need bunnies, so I use news.individual.net for $14/year as my
primary. I also have a few freebies, and use a couple-three of those most
every day, as well (as well as the in-house servers like at mozilla.org
and spamcop.net and grc.com).

Not counting the unused and unconfigured OE, I also have 7 news clients.

I'm kind of a Usenet junkie.


--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups.
Except in Thunderbird, which can't filter that well.
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
section page up/down keys down seem to work within <div> teds@intex.com HTML 2 02-16-2006 10:40 PM
Server to server = Server client to server? - Java 2 07-29-2005 10:46 PM
New to .NET, can I have one drop down box control the data of another drop down box using a database? SirPoonga ASP .Net 2 01-07-2005 10:44 PM
1700 series: S0 is up 2 hours, down 2 hours, up, down, arghgh! Ivan Cisco 11 10-14-2004 08:41 AM
how change from down to up to up to down einstein Java 1 09-28-2003 04:20 PM



Advertisments