Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DHCP client and TCP/IP NetBios Helperservice not auto starting

DHCP client and TCP/IP NetBios Helperservice not auto starting

Jack B. Pollack

Just removed lots of spyware & viruses from a WinXP SP2 computer.

After removing all the junk the network connection no longer worked. I have
spent the last few days rebuilding the TCP/IP stack, removing winsock etc.
Finally I got the internet working again, but am unable to see other
computers on the network.

I have traced the problem down to 2 services that are not starting DHCP
client and TCP/IP NetBios Helper. They are both set to Automatic, but do not
start when the computer boots. If I manually start them the startup
(quickly) and everything works correctly.

Why are they not auto starting and how do I fix this?

Thanks

Mr. Arnold

"Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46b3a4e6$0$12188$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just removed lots of spyware & viruses from a WinXP SP2 computer.
>
> Why are they not auto starting and how do I fix this?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...mt/sm0504.mspx

Tester

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 17:57:56 -0400, "Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Just removed lots of spyware & viruses from a WinXP SP2 computer.
>
>After removing all the junk the network connection no longer worked. I have
>spent the last few days rebuilding the TCP/IP stack, removing winsock etc.
>Finally I got the internet working again, but am unable to see other
>computers on the network.
>
>I have traced the problem down to 2 services that are not starting DHCP
>client and TCP/IP NetBios Helper. They are both set to Automatic, but do not
>start when the computer boots. If I manually start them the startup
>(quickly) and everything works correctly.
>
>Why are they not auto starting and how do I fix this?

How are you starting the services? services.msc? (start button and run
services.msc or type services.msc is a cmd box)

Are they set up to autostart?

(right click on the service and hit properties)

Jack B. Pollack

Solved it. The SecurityKey was wrong in the registry. Thanks all

"Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46b3a4e6$0$12188$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just removed lots of spyware & viruses from a WinXP SP2 computer.
>
> After removing all the junk the network connection no longer worked. I

have
> spent the last few days rebuilding the TCP/IP stack, removing winsock etc.
> Finally I got the internet working again, but am unable to see other
> computers on the network.
>
> I have traced the problem down to 2 services that are not starting DHCP
> client and TCP/IP NetBios Helper. They are both set to Automatic, but do

not
> start when the computer boots. If I manually start them the startup
> (quickly) and everything works correctly.
>
> Why are they not auto starting and how do I fix this?
>
> Thanks

Mr. Arnold

> Just removed lots of spyware & viruses from a WinXP SP2 computer.

There is no telling what's left on the machine that you don't know about
that has compormised the machine and is still there.