Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Indexing services under Windows XP SP2 - Can I disable MS Indexing Service to hasten Google's OR does Google Desktop uses this MS Indexing Service?

Indexing services under Windows XP SP2 - Can I disable MS Indexing Service to hasten Google's OR does Google Desktop uses this MS Indexing Service?

ricardodefaria

My question is

The "indexing services" (under Windows XP SP2): - Can I disable MS
Indexing Service to hasten Google's OR does Google Desktop uses this
MS Indexing Service?

I could not find any word about this in Google Kbase...

Thank you for your time and attention.

http://www.ricardodefaria.com

Another

ricardodefaria wrote:
> My question is
>
> The "indexing services" (under Windows XP SP2): - Can I disable MS
> Indexing Service to hasten Google's OR does Google Desktop uses this
> MS Indexing Service?
>
> I could not find any word about this in Google Kbase...
>
> Thank you for your time and attention.
>
> http://www.ricardodefaria.com

see

http://theeldergeek.com/indexing_service.htm

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

ricardodefaria wrote:

> My question is
>
> The "indexing services" (under Windows XP SP2): - Can I disable MS
> Indexing Service to hasten Google's OR does Google Desktop uses this
> MS Indexing Service?

My question is

Why would you want Google to know everything that is on your computer?

--
-bts

ricardodefaria

On 3 ago, 18:32, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ricardodefaria wrote:
> > My question is

> > The "indexing services" (under Windows XP SP2): - Can I disable MS
> > Indexing Service to hasten Google's OR does Google Desktop uses this
> > MS Indexing Service?

> My question is
>
> Why would you want Google to know everything that is on your computer?
>
> --
> -bts

First of all I like Google looks;

Second I like Google engeneering;

Third I do NOT mind sharing what I have in the instant computer and
its network (I have a *standalone* Data Center that uses proprietary
and hermetic algorithms):

The question is: Is Google Desktop using the native Windows XP
Indexing Services and keeping running it is a must for Google Desktop
to work OR CAN I DISABLE Windows XP Indexing Services - for REDUNDANCY
sake?

Tks.

ricardodefaria

thanatoid

ricardodefaria <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> On 3 ago, 18:32, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> ricardodefaria wrote:
>> > My question is

>> > The "indexing services" (under Windows XP SP2): - Can I
>> > disable MS Indexing Service to hasten Google's OR does
>> > Google Desktop uses this MS Indexing Service?

>> My question is
>>
>> Why would you want Google to know everything that is on
>> your computer?
>>
>> --
>> -bts
>> -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck

> First of all I like Google looks;
>
> Second I like Google engeneering;
>
> Third I do NOT mind sharing what I have in the instant
> computer and its network (I have a *standalone* Data Center
> that uses proprietary and hermetic algorithms):
>
> The question is: Is Google Desktop using the native Windows
> XP Indexing Services and keeping running it is a must for
> Google Desktop to work OR CAN I DISABLE Windows XP Indexing
> Services - for REDUNDANCY sake?
>
> Tks.
>
> ricardodefaria

Since I do not use either MS Office OR Google extras, I am just
guessing, but I very much doubt that the MS indexing/fast-find
mechanism is used by Google. Almost every place I have read
about it the author(s) say it is better to disable it as it is
basically useless to an organized person, but runs ALL THE TIME
and slows down your computer.

AFA whether it DOES interact with Google in any way, turn it off
and you should be able to tell pretty quickly.

Also, being highly suspicious of MS, I think the indexing is
probably more for their use than yours. (IMO they have been
keeping tabs on everything everyone does ever since XP came out.
I know it sounds insane, but so is Google continuing to
index/store all Usenet txt posts. It was a good idea for a few
years in the 80's but now it sounds like the ghost of communist
East Germany has taken over whatever brains people have left in
this century.)

FWIW, I would not use the Google Toolbar/Desktop/whatever
either, but it's your decision.

--
"...for the force that circles the earth most times in a second
is not electricity but pain."

ricardodefaria

On 4 ago, 00:31, thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ricardodefaria <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote innews:(E-Mail Removed) groups.com:
>

> > On 3 ago, 18:32, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> My question is

> >> Why would you want Google to know everything that is on
> >> your computer?

> >> --
> >> -bts
> >> -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck

> > First of all I like Google looks;

> > Second I like Google engeneering;

> > Third I do NOT mind sharing what I have in the instant
> > computer and its network (I have a *standalone* Data Center
> > that uses proprietary and hermetic algorithms):

> > The question is: Is Google Desktop using the native Windows
> > XP Indexing Services and keeping running it is a must for
> > Google Desktop to work OR CAN I DISABLE Windows XP Indexing
> > Services - for REDUNDANCY sake?

> > Tks.

> > ricardodefaria

> Since I do not use either MS Office OR Google extras, I am just
> guessing, but I very much doubt that the MS indexing/fast-find
> mechanism is used by Google. Almost every place I have read
> about it the author(s) say it is better to disable it as it is
> basically useless to an organized person, but runs ALL THE TIME
> and slows down your computer.
>
> AFA whether it DOES interact with Google in any way, turn it off
> and you should be able to tell pretty quickly.
>
> Also, being highly suspicious of MS, I think the indexing is
> probably more for their use than yours. (IMO they have been
> keeping tabs on everything everyone does ever since XP came out.
> I know it sounds insane, but so is Google continuing to
> index/store all Usenet txt posts. It was a good idea for a few
> years in the 80's but now it sounds like the ghost of communist
> East Germany has taken over whatever brains people have left in
> this century.)
>
> FWIW, I would not use the Google Toolbar/Desktop/whatever
> either, but it's your decision.
>
> --
> "...for the force that circles the earth most times in a second
> is not electricity but pain."
> - M.P.- Ocultar texto entre aspas -
>
> - Mostrar texto entre aspas -

I do think that Google Desktop uses MS Indexing Services - as I have
disabled same and - once you install or restart Google Desktop - MS
Indexing Services is... activated again!!!: Either this is another MS
"feature" or a Google Desktop installation "action"... This is the
gist of my initial question here...

Google Desktop MUST instruct either if it uses MS Windows XP (SP2) [or
whatever OS] *native Indexing Services* or if we, the users, may
DISABLE the native Indexing Service, as same is SLOW (Microsoft
"Indexing Services") for us to avoid redundant indexations (MS and
Google's) if this is the case.

thanatoid

ricardodefaria <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> On 4 ago, 00:31, thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> ricardodefaria <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> innews:(E-Mail Removed) groups.co
>> m:

>> > First of all I like Google looks;

>> > Second I like Google engeneering;

>> > Third I do NOT mind sharing what I have in the instant
>> > computer and its network (I have a *standalone* Data
>> > Center that uses proprietary and hermetic algorithms):

>> > The question is: Is Google Desktop using the native
>> > Windows XP Indexing Services and keeping running it is a
>> > must for Google Desktop to work OR CAN I DISABLE Windows
>> > XP Indexing Services - for REDUNDANCY sake?

>> > Tks.

>> > ricardodefaria

>> Since I do not use either MS Office OR Google extras, I am
>> just guessing, but I very much doubt that the MS
>> indexing/fast-find mechanism is used by Google. Almost
>> every place I have read about it the author(s) say it is
>> better to disable it as it is basically useless to an
>> organized person, but runs ALL THE TIME and slows down
>> your computer.
>>
>> AFA whether it DOES interact with Google in any way, turn
>> it off and you should be able to tell pretty quickly.
>>
>> Also, being highly suspicious of MS, I think the indexing
>> is probably more for their use than yours. (IMO they have
>> been keeping tabs on everything everyone does ever since
>> XP came out. I know it sounds insane, but so is Google
>> continuing to index/store all Usenet txt posts. It was a
>> good idea for a few years in the 80's but now it sounds
>> like the ghost of communist East Germany has taken over
>> whatever brains people have left in this century.)
>>
>> FWIW, I would not use the Google Toolbar/Desktop/whatever
>> either, but it's your decision.
>>
>> --
>> "...for the force that circles the earth most times in a
>> second is not electricity but pain."
>> - M.P.- Ocultar texto entre aspas -
>>
>> - Mostrar texto entre aspas -

> I do think that Google Desktop uses MS Indexing Services -
> as I have disabled same and - once you install or restart
> Google Desktop - MS Indexing Services is... activated
> again!!!: Either this is another MS "feature" or a Google
> Desktop installation "action"... This is the gist of my
> initial question here...
>
> Google Desktop MUST instruct either if it uses MS Windows
> XP (SP2) [or whatever OS] *native Indexing Services* or if
> we, the users, may DISABLE the native Indexing Service, as
> same is SLOW (Microsoft "Indexing Services") for us to
> avoid redundant indexations (MS and Google's) if this is
> the case.

Thank you for reminding me why I am on the internet with a 95B
machine and why I don't have ANY MS software installed except
the (heavily tweaked) OS.

As for Google, they, along with Adobe and MS are the Evil Three,
AFAIAC.