Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Quotes or apostrophes showing up as code

Quotes or apostrophes showing up as code

Richard Fangnail

In IE OR Firefox, I've been seeing things like "& # 3 9" where there
should be quotes or apostrophes. This has been noticeable a few
months. I usually see it in Google Groups in the title bar at the top
or inside the text; I've also seen it on the Yahoo home page in the
news items.

What is going on?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Richard Fangnail wrote:

> In IE OR Firefox, I've been seeing things like "& # 3 9" where there
> should be quotes or apostrophes. This has been noticeable a few
> months. I usually see it in Google Groups in the title bar at the top
> or inside the text; I've also seen it on the Yahoo home page in the
> news items.

How about a specific link to a specific page (or two) where you see
this?

> What is going on?

' is a single-quote mark, " is a double-quote mark, and & is
an ampersand.

http://www.cookwood.com/entities/

Perhaps the page(s) are using a character set your computer doesn't
recognize?

--
-bts

Richard Fangnail

On Aug 3, 9:43 am, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Richard Fangnail wrote:
> > In IE OR Firefox, I've been seeing things like "& # 3 9" where there
> > should be quotes or apostrophes. This has been noticeable a few
> > months. I usually see it in Google Groups in the title bar at the top
> > or inside the text; I've also seen it on the Yahoo home page in the
> > news items.

> How about a specific link to a specific page (or two) where you see
> this?

this page has the problem in the top title bar. Instead of quote
marks, I see &quot.
This problem is in both my computer at home and some other in offices.

http://groups.google.com/group/ba.br...977d3e29219be6

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Richard Fangnail wrote:

> On Aug 3, 9:43 am, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Richard Fangnail wrote:
>>> In IE OR Firefox, I've been seeing things like "& # 3 9" ...

>> How about a specific link to a specific page (or two) where you see
>> this?

> this page has the problem in the top title bar. Instead of quote
> marks, I see &quot.
> This problem is in both my computer at home and some other in offices.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/ba.br...977d3e29219be6

Somewhere in the process of generating the page, Google transformed the
ampersand that goes with the "quot;" to &amp; - which is actually
correct.

<title>
&amp;quot;Gary from Oakland&amp;quot; was in the studio -
ba.broadcast |
Google Groups
</title>

Since it appears that was your own post, you could eliminate the problem
by not using quote marks in subject lines when posting from Google
Gropes. Since others are posting in that thread using real news clients,
it appears the group is not a *Google* group, but a *newsgroup* on
Usenet. Why don't you join them instead of using the inferior GG?

Ex: note that "Stratum" uses Thunderbird:

From: Stratum <(E-Mail Removed)>

So can you.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/
(and you might want to tell "Stratum" that he is woefully out of date
with version 1.0.7.

--
-bts

why?

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 10:03:03 -0700, Richard Fangnail wrote:

>On Aug 3, 9:43 am, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Richard Fangnail wrote:
>> > In IE OR Firefox, I've been seeing things like "& # 3 9" where there
>> > should be quotes or apostrophes. This has been noticeable a few
>> > months. I usually see it in Google Groups in the title bar at the top
>> > or inside the text; I've also seen it on the Yahoo home page in the
>> > news items.

>> How about a specific link to a specific page (or two) where you see
>> this?

>this page has the problem in the top title bar. Instead of quote
>marks, I see &quot.
>This problem is in both my computer at home and some other in offices.
>

>http://groups.google.com/group/ba.br...977d3e29219be6

<title>
&amp;quot;Gary from Oakland&amp;quot; was in the studio -
ba.broadcast |
Google Groups
</title>

It's assumed they meant "Gary....." as in

<title>
&quot;Gary from Oakland&quot; was in the studio -
ba.broadcast |
Google Groups
</title>

The & and ; identify an entity in HTML character sets, see the table

The why and in depth
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/sgml/entities.html
and a nice example showing the codes and what your browser sees.
http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40...s/symbols.html

So &amp; is a single & and the quot; is shown just as is.