Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Sipgate, Many Devices Coneected To Single Account?

Reply
Thread Tools

Sipgate, Many Devices Coneected To Single Account?

 
 
Phil
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2007
I was wondering if Sipgate have a problem with lots of devices namely
X-Lite, at different locations been connected to the same account at the
same time? Would this cause any technical problems? Would Sipgate care?
Thanks in advance?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2007
"Phil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46b27379$0$24764$(E-Mail Removed)
> I was wondering if Sipgate have a problem with lots of
> devices namely X-Lite, at different locations been
> connected to the same account at the same time? Would
> this cause any technical problems? Would Sipgate care?
> Thanks in advance?


It depends on your definition of "lots" really..! I've never had a problem
with two devices; the Fritz!Box is permanently connected at home, but when
I'm away I'll either use my laptop with X-Pro or a Sipura 1001 and it
works fine.

Ivor


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Phil
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2007
"Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Phil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:46b27379$0$24764$(E-Mail Removed)
>> I was wondering if Sipgate have a problem with lots of
>> devices namely X-Lite, at different locations been
>> connected to the same account at the same time? Would
>> this cause any technical problems? Would Sipgate care?
>> Thanks in advance?

>
> It depends on your definition of "lots" really..! I've never had a problem
> with two devices; the Fritz!Box is permanently connected at home, but when
> I'm away I'll either use my laptop with X-Pro or a Sipura 1001 and it
> works fine.
>
> Ivor
>
>

We're probably talking about 10 X-Lite's being connected to the same account
at the same time, maybe slightly more maybe less.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Gordon Henderson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2007
In article <46b27379$0$24764$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Phil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I was wondering if Sipgate have a problem with lots of devices namely
>X-Lite, at different locations been connected to the same account at the
>same time? Would this cause any technical problems? Would Sipgate care?
> Thanks in advance?


SIP isn't designed to have more than 1 device connected to one account
at any one time. I'm surprised it works at all - My suspicion is that
the last device to register is the only one which will take incoming
calls though.

Gordon
 
Reply With Quote
 
mattpark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2007

You'll run in to trouble registering many sip devices against one
extension...

I'm not sure if sipgate even offer multiple extensions? They target
themselves at single users.


--
mattpark
------------------------------------------------------------------------
mattpark's Profile: http://www.ukvoiptalk.com/forum/member.php?userid=3
View this thread: http://www.ukvoiptalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22086

External post from http://www.ukvoiptalk.com

 
Reply With Quote
 
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2007
Phil wrote:
> I was wondering if Sipgate have a problem with lots of devices namely
> X-Lite, at different locations been connected to the same account at
> the same time? Would this cause any technical problems? Would Sipgate
> care? Thanks in advance?




I have tested having both lines of my PAP2 ATA set-up with the same account
and 3 PCs running X-Lite with the same Sipgate account.

All 5 rang when called, and could be answered, taking a call on the PAP2 I
could select call transfer and dial my own Sipgate number and the other
available lines would ring and you could answer the call, you could also
set-up 3-Way calling.


--
Items for sale: http://www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/NGN-use-by-GPs
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/MetricNow

 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2007
Gordon Henderson wrote:
> SIP isn't designed to have more than 1 device connected to one account
> at any one time. I'm surprised it works at all - My suspicion is that
> the last device to register is the only one which will take incoming
> calls though.


Actually, SIP is definitely designed to have more than one device connected.

Providing the SIP registrar can cope with forking the calls, then there
is no problem. sipgate use SER, so probably no problem here (unless
they have specifically disabled it).

Usually, both phones will ring together.


On the other hand, Asterisk can only really cope with 1 phone per account.


Tim
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gordon Henderson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2007
In article <46b31f14$0$647$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> SIP isn't designed to have more than 1 device connected to one account
>> at any one time. I'm surprised it works at all - My suspicion is that
>> the last device to register is the only one which will take incoming
>> calls though.

>
>Actually, SIP is definitely designed to have more than one device connected.
>
>Providing the SIP registrar can cope with forking the calls, then there
>is no problem. sipgate use SER, so probably no problem here (unless
>they have specifically disabled it).
>
>Usually, both phones will ring together.
>
>
>On the other hand, Asterisk can only really cope with 1 phone per account.


That's probably where my confusion is arising from then, but I did try
multiple phones with a sipgate account some time back and it all went
horribly wrong. Maybe things have changed in Sipgate since ...

Gordon
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2007
Gordon Henderson wrote:
> That's probably where my confusion is arising from then, but I did try
> multiple phones with a sipgate account some time back and it all went
> horribly wrong. Maybe things have changed in Sipgate since ...


Could be a nat problem or router ALG problem.

Tim
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gordon Henderson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2007
In article <46b325b2$0$642$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> That's probably where my confusion is arising from then, but I did try
>> multiple phones with a sipgate account some time back and it all went
>> horribly wrong. Maybe things have changed in Sipgate since ...

>
>Could be a nat problem or router ALG problem.


At the time I tried, there was no NAT involved and no "clever" routers
either... I was working in a place who had a real /24 routed to them down
an E1 line fronted by a Cisco, but it was maybe a year back, and it was
Sipgate, and TBH, I don't really care for them anymore. (Taking 3 days to
answer what should have been a simple query email wasn't acceptable!) So
I solved what I wanted to do with other means... (Which has let me into
all sorts of other bother in the past year - some of which you know about

Gordon
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Search for Bluetooth Devices - how many it will display? sp Wireless Networking 13 10-09-2006 02:49 PM
Create single application run on different devices communication with different interface nishadixit Java 0 05-24-2005 10:23 AM
Can security devices harm DVDs and electronic devices? curious@nospam.com DVD Video 12 03-02-2005 06:57 AM
How many devices in a Broadcase Domain before Segmenting? Joel M. Baldwin Cisco 2 11-04-2004 08:34 PM
"Windows CE Devices and Palm Devices Help Needed" Naveen Vaila ASP .Net Mobile 1 06-23-2004 10:12 AM



Advertisments