Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Anchor colors

Anchor colors

tshad

My links/anchors in my site are a turquoise color.

a {
font-size:10px;
}
a:link {
color:#3EA2BC;
}
a:active {
color:#3EA2BC;
}

I have some tags I want to be a different color so I set up a class -
bodybold.

It seems the way I do it with my menu list doesn't work for my other links
For my menu Links I do it this way:

..nav-menu li a
{
height: 2em;
line-height: 2em;
color: #666666; /* Color of the Link - need to change it for a:visited as
well */
text-align: center;
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
font-weight: bold;
}
..nav-menu li a:visited
{
color: #666666; /* Color of visited link - should be the same as the "a"
tag */
}

The class name, then the list, then the link. This is then applied as so:

<ul>
<li><asp:HyperLink ID="HomeMenu" Text="Home" NavigateUrl="home.aspx
runat="server"/></li>
<li><asp:HyperLink ID="ViewBasicMenu"
NavigateUrl="viewPositionsNS.aspx?type=Basic" Text="Basic Search"
runat="server"/></li>
</ul>

This doesn't work for my normal links:

My <a> is:

<a class="bodybold" href="file:///C|/Inetpub/wwwroot/media_kit">media</a>

I tried this first:

..bodybold
{
font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-style:normal;
font-size:11px;
font-weight:Bold;
text-decoration:none;
color:#666666
}

That didn't work.

I then realized that I needed to specifically set the <a> specifically as I
do with my list menus, so I now have:

..bodybold a
{
font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-style:normal;
font-size:11px;
font-weight:Bold;
text-decoration:none;
color:#666666
}

..bodybold a:link
{
font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-style:normal;
font-size:11px;
font-weight:Bold;
text-decoration:none;
color:#666666
}
..bodybold a:active
{
font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-style:normal;
font-size:11px;
font-weight:Bold;
text-decoration:none;
color:#666666
}
..bodybold a:visited
{
font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-style:normal;
font-size:11px;
font-weight:Bold;
text-decoration:none;
color:#666666
}
This still didn't work work. But then I did this which did work.

a.bodybold:link
{
font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-style:normal;
font-size:11px;
font-weight:Bold;
text-decoration:none;
color:#666666
}
a.bodybold:active
{
font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-style:normal;
font-size:11px;
font-weight:Bold;
text-decoration:none;
color:#666666
}
a.bodybold:visited
{
font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-style:normal;
font-size:11px;
font-weight:Bold;
text-decoration:none;
color:#666666
}

Why didn't the previous ones work?

Thanks,

Tom.

John Hosking

tshad wrote:
> My links/anchors in my site are a turquoise color.

By which I guess you mean #3EA2BC. A URL would be useful.

> a {
> font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
> font-size:10px;
> }
> a:link {
> color:#3EA2BC;
> }
> a:active {
> color:#3EA2BC;
> }
>
> I have some tags

By which I guess you mean links, or elements, rather than tags.

> I want to be a different color so I set up a class -
> bodybold.

I get itchy when I see a class name suggesting its presumed formatting
rather than the semantic importance of the classed items. Here, I wonder
which link elements you want to be non-#3EA2BC, and *why*. Are they auto
models? Member names? Monitor brands? Planets? Species of primates? Name
the class "planet" and then you can style (and re-style) as your heart
desires. With bodybold you have to watch out constantly that you don't
change from using font-weight: bold anymore.

> It seems the way I do it with my menu list doesn't work for my other links
> For my menu Links I do it this way:
>
> .nav-menu li a
> {
> height: 2em;
> line-height: 2em;
> color: #666666; /* Color of the Link - need to change it for a:visited as
> well */
> text-align: center;
> margin: 0;
> padding: 0;
> font-weight: bold;
> }
> .nav-menu li a:visited
> {
> color: #666666; /* Color of visited link - should be the same as the "a"
> tag */
> }
>
> The class name, then the list, then the link. This is then applied as so:

> <ul>
> <li><asp:HyperLink ID="HomeMenu" Text="Home" NavigateUrl="home.aspx
> runat="server"/></li>

What the hell is asp This is why you should provide a URL, so we can
see what you've really got.

> This doesn't work for my normal links:
>
> My <a> is:
>
> <a class="bodybold" href="file:///C|/Inetpub/wwwroot/media_kit">media</a>
>
> I tried this first:
>
> .bodybold

> That didn't work.
>
> I then realized that I needed to specifically set the <a> specifically as I
> do with my list menus, so I now have:
>
> .bodybold a

You're just guessing. Read and digest an actual tutorial, like
http://css.maxdesign.com.au/selectutorial/
(http://css.maxdesign.com.au/selectut...tors_class.htm) or
http://www.htmldog.com/guides/cssint...pseudoclasses/ (although
beware because the HTMLDog page doesn't use the ordering :link,
:visited, :hover, :active.

> This still didn't work work. But then I did this which did work.
>
> a.bodybold:link
> {
> font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
> font-style:normal;
> font-size:11px;

BTW, please don't do this. Use % or em instead.

> font-weight:Bold;
> text-decoration:none;
> color:#666666
> }
> a.bodybold:active
> {
> font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
> font-style:normal;
> font-size:11px;
> font-weight:Bold;
> text-decoration:none;
> color:#666666
> }
> a.bodybold:visited
> {
> font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
> font-style:normal;
> font-size:11px;
> font-weight:Bold;
> text-decoration:none;
> color:#666666
> }
>
> Why didn't the previous ones work?

".bodybold a" selects the <a> elements which are descendants of elements
with the bodybold class. You don't have any of those. What you have are
<a> elements which have the bodybold class. Such elements are selected
with a.bodybold, as you have done.

Also BTW: since these three rule sets are identical, you can combine them to

a.bodybold:link, a.bodybold:visited, a.bodybold:active
{
font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-style:normal;
font-size:11px;
font-weight:Bold;
text-decoration:none;
color:#666666
}

or even

a.bodybold:link, a.bodybold:visited, a.bodybold:active
{
font: normal bold 11px Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
text-decoration:none;
color:#666666
}

but if they're identical, why are you specifying them at all? And what
about the :hover case?

HTH

--
John
Pondering the value of the UIP: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

tshad

I am not sure I understand your explanation on the differences between:

..bodybold a:link

and

a.bodybold:link

and the reason the first one works for my links in my lists but not for the
links by themselves.

I am looking at your suggestions for information on it now.

Thanks,

Tom

news:46b22034$(E-Mail Removed)...

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2007-08-02, tshad wrote:
> I am not sure I understand your explanation on the differences between:
>
> .bodybold a:link
>
> and
>
> a.bodybold:link

The first one is an anchor inside an element with class="bodybold";
the second is an anchor with class="bodybold".

> and the reason the first one works for my links in my lists but not for the
> links by themselves.

URL?

Author:

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit tshad:

> My links/anchors in my site are a turquoise color.

Bad idea, especially since you use the same color for unvisited and visited
links.

> font-size:10px;

Bad idea.

The symptoms strongly suggest that you should stop authoring web pages, take
a crash course on the basics, and start afresh. Don't try to fix the pages
you have already written; it's much faster and more productive to redesign
them from scratch.

I don't expect you to like this idea, but it's really the best advice.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

tshad

Unfortunately, I don't have a public site to use - just an intranet.

In the following, can I put the selectors together (the following works - I
just want to see if I can combine them)?

..nav-menu-side li a
{
height: 2em;
line-height: 2em;
color: #666666; /* Color of the Link - need to change it for a:visited as
well */
text-align: center;
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
text-decoration:none;
font-size:9px;
}
..nav-menu-side li a:link
{
color: #666666; /* Color of visited link - should be the same as the "a"
tag */
}
..nav-menu-side li a:visited
{
color: #666666; /* Color of visited link - should be the same as the "a"
tag */
}
..nav-menu-side li a:hover
{
color: #666666; /* Color of visited link - should be the same as the "a"
tag */
}
..nav-menu-side li a:active
{
color: #666666; /* Color of visited link - should be the same as the "a"
tag */
}

I tried

..nav-menu-side li a:link a:visited a:hover a:active
{
color: #666666; /* Color of visited link - should be the same as the "a"
tag */
}

And

..nav-menu-side li a:link a:visited a:hover a:active
{
color: #666666; /* Color of visited link - should be the same as the "a"
tag */
}

neither of these worked.

I am using them for my menu links that I want to be the same color and not
change when visted as these are just for navigation and they will be using
them constantly on all my pages.

<ul>
<li><asp:HyperLink ID="HomeMenu" Text="Home"
NavigateUrl="/jobSeeker/displayCompanyJobs.aspx" runat="server"/></li>
<li><asp:HyperLink ID="ViewBasicMenu"
NavigateUrl="/jobSeeker/viewPositionsNS.aspx?type=Basic" Text="Search"
runat="server"/></li>
<li><asp:HyperLink ID="NewAccountMenu"
NavigateUrl="/jobSeeker/create_new_account.aspx" Text="Create Account"
runat="server"/></li>
<li><asp:HyperLink ID="LoginMenu" NavigateUrl="/jobSeeker/EELogin.aspx"
Text="Login" runat="server"/></li>
</ul>

Thanks,

Tom

"Chris F.A. Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2007-08-02, tshad wrote:
>> I am not sure I understand your explanation on the differences between:
>>
>> .bodybold a:link
>>
>> and
>>
>> a.bodybold:link

> The first one is an anchor inside an element with class="bodybold";
> the second is an anchor with class="bodybold".
>
>> and the reason the first one works for my links in my lists but not for
>> the
>> links by themselves.

> URL?
>
> --
> Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfaj.freeshell.org>
> ================================================== =================
> Author:
> Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (2005, Apress)

John Hosking

tshad wrote:
> Unfortunately, I don't have a public site to use - just an intranet.

Please don't top-post.

Please get access to a public site and post your code there and a URL
here. Nobody wants to see all this code out of context. There are free
servers where you can put up a page for free, if your ISP doesn't
provide one.

> In the following, can I put the selectors together (the following works - I
> just want to see if I can combine them)?

Yes, did you not read my post up-thread? You responded to it.
In message <46b22034$(E-Mail Removed)> I said

> Also BTW: since these three rule sets are identical, you can combine them to
>
> a.bodybold:link, a.bodybold:visited, a.bodybold:active

Note the commas delimiting three selectors.

Back to your last post:

> I tried
>
> .nav-menu-side li a:link a:visited a:hover a:active

The delimiter is a comma. Between each comma you need the exact (full)
selector you want added to the list for the shared ruleset. So:

..nav-menu-side li a:link,
..nav-menu-side li a:visited,
..nav-menu-side li a:hover,
..nav-menu-side li a:active { color: #666666; }

> And
>
> .nav-menu-side li a:link a:visited a:hover a:active

How is this second attempt different from the first? I don't see it.

> neither of these worked.

Two (identical) stabs in the dark. Get a reference and use it.

BTW, if you have identical rules for :link, :hover, and :active, you can
probably just specify a:link, a:visited and leave out the others, as
they are affected by the a:link selector.

--
John
Pondering the value of the UIP: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

tshad

"John Hosking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46b923d6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> tshad wrote:
>> Unfortunately, I don't have a public site to use - just an intranet.

> Please don't top-post.
>
> Please get access to a public site and post your code there and a URL
> here. Nobody wants to see all this code out of context. There are free
> servers where you can put up a page for free, if your ISP doesn't provide
> one.

Where would I find one of those?

That would make it easier.

>> In the following, can I put the selectors together (the following works -
>> I just want to see if I can combine them)?

> Yes, did you not read my post up-thread? You responded to it.
> In message <46b22034$(E-Mail Removed)> I said
>
>> Also BTW: since these three rule sets are identical, you can combine them
>>
>> a.bodybold:link, a.bodybold:visited, a.bodybold:active

> Note the commas delimiting three selectors.
>
> Back to your last post:
>>
>> I tried
>>
>> .nav-menu-side li a:link a:visited a:hover a:active

> The delimiter is a comma. Between each comma you need the exact (full)
> selector you want added to the list for the shared ruleset. So:
>
> .nav-menu-side li a:link,
> .nav-menu-side li a:visited,
> .nav-menu-side li a:hover,
> .nav-menu-side li a:active { color: #666666; }
>
>> And
>>
>> .nav-menu-side li a:link a:visited a:hover a:active

> How is this second attempt different from the first? I don't see it.

My mistake. I actually meant to have commas between them but left it out.
And, as you pointed out, that wouldn't work as I needed the whole selector.

>> neither of these worked.

> Two (identical) stabs in the dark. Get a reference and use it.

I actually have a couple of references, but from them references I couldn't
figure out the differences between:

..bodybold a:link

and

a.bodybold:link

At least not directly. For example, I didn't see in my references (may have
missed it) that a:Link affects the other classes.

> BTW, if you have identical rules for :link, :hover, and :active, you can
> probably just specify a:link, a:visited and leave out the others, as they
> are affected by the a:link selector.

Are you saying that a:hover and a:active is affected by a:link or a:hover is
affected by a:link and a:active is affected by visited? Just wanted to make
sure.

Also, since we are using the pseudo selectors, is

a{
}

not really useful? I can't figure out why I would use the "a" tag by
itself.

So I assume that the following:

..bodybold a:link
{
[...]

Can be changed to:

..bodybold a:active, .bodybold a:visited, .bodybold a:hover, .bodybold
a:active
{
font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-style:normal;
font-size:11px;
font-weight:Bold;
text-decoration:none;
color:#666666
}

or

..bodybold a:active, .bodybold a:visited
{
font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-style:normal;
font-size:11px;
font-weight:Bold;
text-decoration:none;
color:#666666
}

The same with this:

a.bodybold:link
{
font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-style:normal;
font-size:11px;
font-weight:Bold;
text-decoration:none;
color:#666666
}
a.bodybold:visited
{
font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-style:normal;
font-size:11px;
font-weight:Bold;
text-decoration:none;
color:#666666
}
a.bodybold:hover
{
font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-style:normal;
font-size:11px;
font-weight:Bold;
text-decoration:none;
color:#666666
}
a.bodybold:active
{
font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-style:normal;
font-size:11px;
font-weight:Bold;
text-decoration:none;
color:#666666
}

can be changed to:

a.bodybold:link, a.bodybold:visited, a.bodybold:hover, a.bodybold:active
{
font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-style:normal;
font-size:11px;
font-weight:Bold;
text-decoration:none;
color:#666666
}

or

a.bodybold:link, a.bodybold:visited
{
font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-style:normal;
font-size:11px;
font-weight:Bold;
text-decoration:none;
color:#666666
}

Thanks,

Tom
> --
> John
> Pondering the value of the UIP: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Michael Fesser

..oO(tshad)

>"John Hosking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
>> BTW, if you have identical rules for :link, :hover, and :active, you can
>> probably just specify a:link, a:visited and leave out the others, as they
>> are affected by the a:link selector.

>Are you saying that a:hover and a:active is affected by a:link or a:hover is
>affected by a:link and a:active is affected by visited? Just wanted to make
>sure.

One of the pseudo-classes :link and :visited always applies. The other
three pseudo-classes (:hover, :active, :focus) might apply additionally
and even at the same time.

>Also, since we are using the pseudo selectors, is
>
>a{
>}
>
>not really useful? I can't figure out why I would use the "a" tag by
>itself.

For example to declare some general properties for all links, regardless
of their current state.

>So I assume that the following:
>[...]
>
>Can be changed to:
>
>.bodybold a:active, .bodybold a:visited, .bodybold a:hover, .bodybold
>a:active
>[...]

..bodybold a {
font-weight: bold;
text-decoration: none;
color: #666
}

You don't have to declare the font family, size etc. over and over
again.

>The same with this:
>[...]
>
>can be changed to:
>
>a.bodybold:link, a.bodybold:visited, a.bodybold:hover, a.bodybold:active
>[...]

a.bodybold {
font-weight: bold;
text-decoration: none;
color: #666
}

Same thing.

Micha

Jonathan N. Little

tshad wrote:
> "John Hosking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:46b923d6$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> tshad wrote:
>>> Unfortunately, I don't have a public site to use - just an intranet.

>> Please don't top-post.
>>
>> Please get access to a public site and post your code there and a URL
>> here. Nobody wants to see all this code out of context. There are free
>> servers where you can put up a page for free, if your ISP doesn't provide
>> one.
>>

> Where would I find one of those?

http://www.just****inggoogleit.com/s...ee+web+hosting

<snip code>

--
Take care,

Jonathan
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Is there any library that can convert RGB colors to ANSI colors? ZelluX Python 3 12-01-2008 11:08 AM
TreeNode colors come from anchor colors AAaron123 ASP .Net 1 08-07-2008 07:56 PM
Postback and set focus to Page anchor Janaka ASP .Net 0 10-28-2003 11:48 AM
anchor question Mike P ASP .Net 1 08-05-2003 12:14 PM
moving to an anchor point programmatically Craig Phillips ASP .Net 2 07-03-2003 01:32 PM

Advertisments