Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Earthlink Friends

Earthlink Friends

Blinky the Shark

Mara wrote:
> On 2 Aug 2007 00:15:13 GMT, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
><snip>
>>> It seems they're having DSL and dialup problems both. No estimated repair time
>>> that I could find. Of course with EarthStinky it's hard to tell what's going on;
>>> I'm not sure *they* even know at times.

>>Been on all day, and no problems from this dialup, with respect to the
>>connection itself. In fact, it seems a little crisper than usual.
>>
>>As for news, it looks like they're in a transition from in-house to
>>Supernews.

> Only good can come from that.

Just got an email from them...

<q>

Dear Usenet User,

Great news! We've improved our Usenet service to make your
experience better than ever.

We've increased article retention for most subjects as well as
provided access to more newsgroups. Best of all, basic service
is still free!

</q>

It goes on for a few horn-blowing paragraphs and nothing is mentioned
about Supernews.

And the introduction of the term "basic service" smells -- there has
only been one level, so I believe the stink of an extra-cost tier is in
the air.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Blinky the Shark

Mr. Arnold wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>I just saw someone elsewhere mentioning that they couldn't get this
>> group via Earthlink's feed all of a sudden. I don't use their feed,
>> even though they are my ISP; I don't know how many times I've said "ISP
>> news feeds usually suck", and I know that many of you (yes, there *is* a
>> "you") are fully aware of that. I do have it set up on one of my news
>> clients, and I couldn't poll it, either. Other groups worked. One
>> /other/ one that that poster mentioned did not.
>>
>> This is just a heads-up to the rest that it looks like the group (yes,
>> there *is* a group) may be missing the contributors and trolls that
>> arrive via Earthlink, at least for a while.
>>

> Yeah, you are correct. I had to get on the phone with EL about NG access, as
> none of the NG(s) were showing any recent post activity. They had me delete
> my NG account off of WM and recreate it. I could then access the NG servers,
> see and make posts.

Just got a "NEW BETTER USENET FOR YOU!!!!"-style email from them. See
my reply to Mara, just posted.

> I have not gotten around to Thunderbird, but it has the same problem and
> I'll have to delete that account to and put it back.
>
> The problems started when all of a sudden the NG servers wanted my login
> credentials.
>
> As far as Internet access with a browser of email client for pop3, I have
> never had a problem with EL. It's always been with the NG servers. It was a
> couple of times NG access has been down with them for over a week where I
> had to get on the phone and go off on them to get results.

I'm still with EL after years because except for NNTP and Tech Support
it's been reliable.

--

Mike Easter wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> I'll pass that along to the guy who reported difficulties in the other
>> group.

> Also, the EL newsserver is very prone to getting its message
> identification management all screwed up. so people may have to do what
> I call 'resetting their pointers' which is to delete all of the
> downloaded headers for any given group and redownload them to get the
> newsreader and the newsserver back in sync again. Naturally all records
> of read and unread and such are wiped out.

See "Mr. Arnold"'s reply. And mine to Mara if about the rah-rah email I
just got from EL about their great new news service.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Mike Easter

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> the rah-rah
> email I just got from EL about their great new news service.

The rah rah mail has a real funky result to clicking on the link which I
posted about in the EL usenet support group. EL is very disorganized
about this, but the demo server is doing great.

--
Mike Easter

Mr. Arnold

> Just got a "NEW BETTER USENET FOR YOU!!!!"-style email from them. See
> my reply to Mara, just posted.

I'll check it out. However, don't mention that backstabbing heifer Mara's
name to me about anything. I sent her ass to the slaughter file. I don't
want to see that cow.

Blinky the Shark

Mike Easter wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> the rah-rah
>> email I just got from EL about their great new news service.

> The rah rah mail has a real funky result to clicking on the link which I
> posted about in the EL usenet support group. EL is very disorganized
> about this, but the demo server is doing great.

Well, of course they are. 99.9999 percent of Earthlink doesn't know
what Usenet is and that Earthlink has it.

--

Mr. Arnold wrote:

>> Just got a "NEW BETTER USENET FOR YOU!!!!"-style email from them. See
>> my reply to Mara, just posted.

> I'll check it out. However, don't mention that backstabbing heifer Mara's
> name to me about anything. I sent her ass to the slaughter file. I don't
> want to see that cow.

Tell it to the Marines.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Plato

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> news feeds usually suck", and I know that many of you (yes, there *is* a
> "you") are fully aware of that. I do have it set up on one of my news

Of course their is a you. Only trolls challenge that.

> This is just a heads-up to the rest that it looks like the group (yes,
> there *is* a group) may be missing the contributors and trolls that
> arrive via Earthlink, at least for a while.

Yes of course this is a group. And all the regulars are part of the
group. All the question askers are just asking the "group" for help.

"nuff said"

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

William Poaster

It was on, or about, Thu, 02 Aug 2007 00:48:47 +0000, that as I was
halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark wrote:

<snip drivel>

> Tell it to the Marines.

DooInane Asshole sent Mara into his kf, eh. She must be doing something
right. Maybe the jackass will put me in too.

--
The universe exploded out of nothingness 14 billion years ago.
14 billion years later, & some of us have 100 trillion

Mara

On 2 Aug 2007 00:33:36 GMT, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>

>Dear Usenet User,
>
>Great news! We've improved our Usenet service to make your
>experience better than ever.
>
>We've increased article retention for most subjects as well as
>provided access to more newsgroups. Best of all, basic service
>is still free!

></q>
>
>It goes on for a few horn-blowing paragraphs and nothing is mentioned
>about Supernews.
>
>And the introduction of the term "basic service" smells -- there has
>only been one level, so I believe the stink of an extra-cost tier is in
>the air.

You *could* just skip the middleman and go directly with Supernews. The cost is
cheap enough, and I can highly recommend it.

--
Og thought there was such thing as "evolution". How all these stupid
people still alive? Og boggle.