Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Earthlink Friends

Earthlink Friends

Blinky the Shark

I just saw someone elsewhere mentioning that they couldn't get this
group via Earthlink's feed all of a sudden. I don't use their feed,
even though they are my ISP; I don't know how many times I've said "ISP
news feeds usually suck", and I know that many of you (yes, there *is* a
"you") are fully aware of that. I do have it set up on one of my news
clients, and I couldn't poll it, either. Other groups worked. One
/other/ one that that poster mentioned did not.

This is just a heads-up to the rest that it looks like the group (yes,
there *is* a group) may be missing the contributors and trolls that
arrive via Earthlink, at least for a while.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Mike Easter

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> I just saw someone elsewhere mentioning that they couldn't get this
> group via Earthlink's feed all of a sudden.

I can get this group from EL's server, but...

- EL news is extremely shabbily administered and resourced
- EL is undergoing an attempted transition to outsourcing
- EL news is acting even more erractically than normal, perhaps related
to transitional changes
- posted via EL news

--
Mike Easter

Blinky the Shark

Mike Easter wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> I just saw someone elsewhere mentioning that they couldn't get this
>> group via Earthlink's feed all of a sudden.

> I can get this group from EL's server, but...

I could "see" it because it was in my rc file, but the server wouldn't
respond. Same with the other group.

--

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>>> I just saw someone elsewhere mentioning that they couldn't get this
>>> group via Earthlink's feed all of a sudden.

>> I can get this group from EL's server, but...

> I could "see" it because it was in my rc file, but the server wouldn't
> respond. Same with the other group.

The EL server is acting funky with its auth process or something. I
don't use the EL server for anything but the EL support groups. The
supernews demo server for EL won't propagate the EL support groups
posted there on to the EL server. If everyone who wanted to talk in the
EL (nonsupport) groups would talk on the demo server then it wouldn't
matter about the propagation, since the demo carries the EL groups.
Everyone could stop using the EL server altogether and just go with
supernews.

--
Mike Easter

Blinky the Shark

Mike Easter wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Mike Easter wrote:
>>>
>>> I can get this group from EL's server, but...

>> I could "see" it because it was in my rc file, but the server wouldn't
>> respond. Same with the other group.

> The EL server is acting funky with its auth process or something. I
> don't use the EL server for anything but the EL support groups. The

I don't even use it for that. I pretty much don't use it for anything,
but I have it set up so I *can* if for some reason - like this one - if
I want to.

> supernews demo server for EL won't propagate the EL support groups
> posted there on to the EL server. If everyone who wanted to talk in the
> EL (nonsupport) groups would talk on the demo server then it wouldn't
> matter about the propagation, since the demo carries the EL groups.
> Everyone could stop using the EL server altogether and just go with
> supernews.

I'll pass that along to the guy who reported difficulties in the other
group. Thanks.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Mara

On 1 Aug 2007 23:39:10 GMT, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just saw someone elsewhere mentioning that they couldn't get this
>group via Earthlink's feed all of a sudden. I don't use their feed,
>even though they are my ISP; I don't know how many times I've said "ISP
>news feeds usually suck", and I know that many of you (yes, there *is* a
>"you") are fully aware of that. I do have it set up on one of my news
>clients, and I couldn't poll it, either. Other groups worked. One
>/other/ one that that poster mentioned did not.
>
>This is just a heads-up to the rest that it looks like the group (yes,
>there *is* a group) may be missing the contributors and trolls that
>arrive via Earthlink, at least for a while.

It seems they're having DSL and dialup problems both. No estimated repair time
that I could find. Of course with EarthStinky it's hard to tell what's going on;
I'm not sure *they* even know at times.

--
Og thought there was such thing as "evolution". How all these stupid
people still alive? Og boggle.

Blinky the Shark

Mara wrote:
> On 1 Aug 2007 23:39:10 GMT, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I just saw someone elsewhere mentioning that they couldn't get this
>>group via Earthlink's feed all of a sudden. I don't use their feed,
>>even though they are my ISP; I don't know how many times I've said "ISP
>>news feeds usually suck", and I know that many of you (yes, there *is* a
>>"you") are fully aware of that. I do have it set up on one of my news
>>clients, and I couldn't poll it, either. Other groups worked. One
>>/other/ one that that poster mentioned did not.
>>
>>This is just a heads-up to the rest that it looks like the group (yes,
>>there *is* a group) may be missing the contributors and trolls that
>>arrive via Earthlink, at least for a while.

> It seems they're having DSL and dialup problems both. No estimated repair time
> that I could find. Of course with EarthStinky it's hard to tell what's going on;
> I'm not sure *they* even know at times.

Been on all day, and no problems from this dialup, with respect to the
connection itself. In fact, it seems a little crisper than usual.

As for news, it looks like they're in a transition from in-house to
Supernews.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Mr. Arnold

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>I just saw someone elsewhere mentioning that they couldn't get this
> group via Earthlink's feed all of a sudden. I don't use their feed,
> even though they are my ISP; I don't know how many times I've said "ISP
> news feeds usually suck", and I know that many of you (yes, there *is* a
> "you") are fully aware of that. I do have it set up on one of my news
> clients, and I couldn't poll it, either. Other groups worked. One
> /other/ one that that poster mentioned did not.
>
> This is just a heads-up to the rest that it looks like the group (yes,
> there *is* a group) may be missing the contributors and trolls that
> arrive via Earthlink, at least for a while.

Yeah, you are correct. I had to get on the phone with EL about NG access, as
none of the NG(s) were showing any recent post activity. They had me delete
my NG account off of WM and recreate it. I could then access the NG servers,
see and make posts.

I have not gotten around to Thunderbird, but it has the same problem and
I'll have to delete that account to and put it back.

The problems started when all of a sudden the NG servers wanted my login
credentials.

As far as Internet access with a browser of email client for pop3, I have
never had a problem with EL. It's always been with the NG servers. It was a
couple of times NG access has been down with them for over a week where I
had to get on the phone and go off on them to get results.

I wish I could get rid of EL, but I won't do it as I move around the US and
need Internet access, at this time, and they have those NG servers.

I have been trying to get off the road for about a year now, so that I can
with surround sound I already have the Harmon Kardon and Bose speakers for
that, along with other things that are all sitting in storage.

Mike Easter

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> I'll pass that along to the guy who reported difficulties in the other
> group.

Also, the EL newsserver is very prone to getting its message
identification management all screwed up. so people may have to do what
I call 'resetting their pointers' which is to delete all of the
downloaded headers for any given group and redownload them to get the
newsreader and the newsserver back in sync again. Naturally all records
of read and unread and such are wiped out.

--
Mike Easter

Mara

On 2 Aug 2007 00:15:13 GMT, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>
>> It seems they're having DSL and dialup problems both. No estimated repair time
>> that I could find. Of course with EarthStinky it's hard to tell what's going on;
>> I'm not sure *they* even know at times.

>Been on all day, and no problems from this dialup, with respect to the
>connection itself. In fact, it seems a little crisper than usual.
>
>As for news, it looks like they're in a transition from in-house to
>Supernews.

Only good can come from that.