Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless connectivity with encryption woes

Wireless connectivity with encryption woes

Curt Christianson

Good evening all,

I'm hoping this is a simple problem, with just a configuration wrong
somewhere.

XP Pro SP2
D-Link WBR-2310 router to an ADSL modem
D-Link WUA-2340 USB adaptor

My wireless hookup performs flawlessly as long as there is *no* encryption
running, but as I climb the encryption ladder from least to most secure,my
connectivity suffers tremendously. I might lose the connection and re-gain
it multiple times in only 15-20 minutes. Signal strength is considered
"excellent", and Netstumbler consistently lists it at
-52 to-55dBm.. Any ideas why I'm not able to maintain a consistent
connection except w/o encryption?

My TIA,

Curt

Windows Support Center
www.aumha.org
Practically Nerded,...
http://dundats.mvps.org/Index.htm

Barb Bowman

what type of encryption are you using?
try WPA2, then WPA. is there an issue with both?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Curt Christianson

Hi Barb,

WPA is far better than WPA2. I haven't tried WEP yet. Very little Wi-Fi in
my neighborhood, so I could probably get by with WEP though. I still have
the feeling I have something configured wrong, but it's just a gut feeling.

--
HTH,
Curt

Windows Support Center
www.aumha.org
Practically Nerded,...
http://dundats.mvps.org/Index.htm

"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| what type of encryption are you using?
| try WPA2, then WPA. is there an issue with both?
|
| On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 17:28:50 -0500, "Curt Christianson"
| <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|
| >Good evening all,
| >
| >I'm hoping this is a simple problem, with just a configuration wrong
| >somewhere.
| >
| >XP Pro SP2
| >D-Link WBR-2310 router to an ADSL modem
| >D-Link WUA-2340 USB adaptor
| >
| >My wireless hookup performs flawlessly as long as there is *no*
encryption
| >running, but as I climb the encryption ladder from least to most
secure,my
| >connectivity suffers tremendously. I might lose the connection and
re-gain
| >it multiple times in only 15-20 minutes. Signal strength is considered
| >"excellent", and Netstumbler consistently lists it at
| >-52 to-55dBm.. Any ideas why I'm not able to maintain a consistent
| >connection except w/o encryption?
| >
| >My TIA,
| >
| >Curt
| >

| >Windows Support Center
| >www.aumha.org
| >Practically Nerded,...
| >http://dundats.mvps.org/Index.htm
| >
| --
|
| Barb Bowman
| MS Windows-MVP
| http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
| http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

Barb Bowman

first, please check to see that you are running the most current
firmware for the router

http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=470&sec=0

also make sure you have the latest driver for the USB wireless

http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=473&sec=0

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 12:02:30 -0500, "Curt Christianson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Barb,
>
>WPA is far better than WPA2. I haven't tried WEP yet. Very little Wi-Fi in
>my neighborhood, so I could probably get by with WEP though. I still have
>the feeling I have something configured wrong, but it's just a gut feeling.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Curt Christianson

Thank you Barb. I will check this out, and get back with you.