Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > MSN Messenger and Remote Assistance

MSN Messenger and Remote Assistance

RedCell

Hi all,

I'm ready the first book for MCSE / MCSA, 70-290 - Managing and Maintaining
a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment.

In part II they are speaking about MSN Messenger and Remote Assistance.
In the case it says:

Case Scenario Exercise

As part of the Remote Administration of your enterprise, your company has
enabled Remote Assistance on each computer. Your sales representatives
travel frequently, and use laptops to perform their work while they travel.

On your internal network, you use Windows Messenger for spontaneous
communication with your clients, and for Remote Assistance. You do not,
however, allow for Instant Messenger traffic across the Internet by closing
port 1863 at the firewall.

You want to perform Remote Assistance for your remote users, but cannot
connect to them with Windows Messenger to determine whether they are online.

I was wondering, how do they use Messenger on the internal network when they
have blocked the MSN internet traffic?
I want to block the MSN traffic and blocked port 1863 but MSN still
connects, what port do i need to close to block MSN?

MitchS

"RedCell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:58ee2$434e5186$52cc236a$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I was wondering, how do they use Messenger on the internal network when
> they
> have blocked the MSN internet traffic?

Cause it's not going over the firewall to the intarweb.

> I want to block the MSN traffic and blocked port 1863 but MSN still
> connects, what port do i need to close to block MSN?

Personally I would disallow it's use in a GPO. I think that would be
easiest.
--
Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.
MCSA, A+, Net+, CCNA

Microcephalic S. Bob

Messenger uses three different servers. One for login, one for presence, and
one for messages. You'll need to block all three ports.

"MitchS" <m remove this http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u4AnMO$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "RedCell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:58ee2$434e5186$52cc236a$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> I was wondering, how do they use Messenger on the internal network when
>> they
>> have blocked the MSN internet traffic?

> Cause it's not going over the firewall to the intarweb.
>
>> I want to block the MSN traffic and blocked port 1863 but MSN still
>> connects, what port do i need to close to block MSN?

> Personally I would disallow it's use in a GPO. I think that would be
> easiest.
> --
> Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.
> MCSA, A+, Net+, CCNA
> "Place your bet - Ah say - place your bets, gentlemen.
> Winnner plays, loser stays. Everyone's a winne - well, not everyone."

Neil

did you hear "RedCell" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
news:58ee2$434e5186$52cc236a$(E-Mail Removed):

> I was wondering, how do they use Messenger on the internal network
> when they have blocked the MSN internet traffic?

Live Communications Server or MSN Messanger Conect for Enterprises.
Likely Live Comm though...

> I want to block the MSN traffic and blocked port 1863 but MSN still
> connects, what port do i need to close to block MSN?

becuase in many cases MSN IM will then drop down to using port 80 for
communication. As mentioned by Mitch, GPO in 2003 can resrtict usage of
software, either by path (then they install it into another directory),
or by hash (then the upgrade wont get caught), by internet zone or by
certificate. and all they will need to get around that would be to use
something like trillian for IM or even better, use the web version of
MSN. you may want to consider adding a black hole to your DSN entries for
http://webmessenger.msn.com/ and pull out a sniffer (ethereal) to find
what the full client uses for a URL and forward that one to Dave Null
too.

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue:

RedCell

Is the GPO available in Windows 2000 Server?

"MitchS" <m remove this (E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:u4AnMO$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "RedCell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:58ee2$434e5186$52cc236a$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> I was wondering, how do they use Messenger on the internal network when
>> they
>> have blocked the MSN internet traffic?

> Cause it's not going over the firewall to the intarweb.
>
>> I want to block the MSN traffic and blocked port 1863 but MSN still
>> connects, what port do i need to close to block MSN?

> Personally I would disallow it's use in a GPO. I think that would be
> easiest.
> --
> Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.
> MCSA, A+, Net+, CCNA
> "Place your bet - Ah say - place your bets, gentlemen.
> Winnner plays, loser stays. Everyone's a winne - well, not everyone."

RedCell

What are the port numbers?
I can only find one. (1863)

"Microcephalic S. Bob" <http://www.planetoftheheads.com/> schreef in bericht
news:OAst0a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Messenger uses three different servers. One for login, one for presence,
> and one for messages. You'll need to block all three ports.
>
> "MitchS" <m remove this (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:u4AnMO$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "RedCell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:58ee2$434e5186$52cc236a$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> I was wondering, how do they use Messenger on the internal network when
>>> they
>>> have blocked the MSN internet traffic?

>> Cause it's not going over the firewall to the intarweb.
>>
>>> I want to block the MSN traffic and blocked port 1863 but MSN still
>>> connects, what port do i need to close to block MSN?

>> Personally I would disallow it's use in a GPO. I think that would be
>> easiest.
>> --
>> Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.
>> MCSA, A+, Net+, CCNA
>> "Place your bet - Ah say - place your bets, gentlemen.
>> Winnner plays, loser stays. Everyone's a winne - well, not everyone."

Neil

did you hear "RedCell" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in news:9494a$434e6741
$52cc236a$(E-Mail Removed):

> Is the GPO available in Windows 2000 Server?

no

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- Hollow points: When you care enough to send the very best!

Neil

did you hear "RedCell" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in news:e0bb5$434e6900
$52cc236a$(E-Mail Removed):

> What are the port numbers?
> I can only find one. (1863)

often dymanically selected by the client.

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- "We're philosophers. We think, therefore we am."

Microcephalic S. Bob

"RedCell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> What are the port numbers?
> I can only find one. (1863)

My advice here is simple... Uninstall messenger. Put a dummy executable in
the place of msmsgs.exe that can't get overwritten by the install, and that
shows a picture of tubgirl whenever it's clicked. If she's as hideous as
people are saying, that should stop people from running the program. Also,
display the wrong number for tech support on the app, so people don't call
you about it.

CBIC

Microcephalic S. Bob wrote:
> "RedCell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> What are the port numbers?
>> I can only find one. (1863)

> My advice here is simple... Uninstall messenger. Put a dummy
> executable in the place of msmsgs.exe that can't get overwritten by
> the install, and that shows a picture of tubgirl whenever it's
> clicked. If she's as hideous as people are saying, that should stop
> people from running the program. Also, display the wrong number for
> tech support on the app, so people don't call you about it.

Bob, you are a freakin' genius.
--
aka
Doom MCNGP #38