Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > How to create a modular ASP.NET application ?

Reply
Thread Tools

How to create a modular ASP.NET application ?

 
 
Canice
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2007

I'm working on a web application where 90% of it is common 'product'
code an the other 10% is customer specific.

I want some method of separating the customer specific presentation,
business and data access layers from the product code as I don't the
main product code to be bloated with customer specific code.

Ideally I'd like to have one solution for the product and one for each
customer. However I haven't found a way to separate the presentation
layer.
I thought that the Web Client Software Factory would work, however it
still requires the .aspx files for the modules to be part of the main
web-site/application - which doesn't seem very modular.

I would also like to be able to use the ASP.NET 2.0 features like
master pages, themes etc.

Anyone have experience of such a solution or should I just give up on
a modular approach

Thanks,
CJB.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2007
Move your functionality into the business layer, where it belongs. Add a
facade to aid the UI layer. And, if there is any business that is client
specific, put into its own library.

You can, in general, leave the ASPX files alone and use Themes for client
specific. On the pieces that the form works the same, essentially, for all
implementations, but slightly different for client, make a client version of
a library.

Experience? Sure, I am in the process of doing it now. It is a bugger to get
it right and you have to plan it out on paper before getting too far into
coding. If you are still embedding code in your ASPX pages, quit it now. It
will not be modular.

If you are not well-versed in tiered development, consider purchasing the
Design Pattern Framework 2.0 from dofactory.com. It is cheap and will teach
you patterns in addition to giving you a reference architecture.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com
Co-author: Microsoft Expression Web Bible (upcoming)

************************************************
Think outside the box!
************************************************
"Canice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
> I'm working on a web application where 90% of it is common 'product'
> code an the other 10% is customer specific.
>
> I want some method of separating the customer specific presentation,
> business and data access layers from the product code as I don't the
> main product code to be bloated with customer specific code.
>
> Ideally I'd like to have one solution for the product and one for each
> customer. However I haven't found a way to separate the presentation
> layer.
> I thought that the Web Client Software Factory would work, however it
> still requires the .aspx files for the modules to be part of the main
> web-site/application - which doesn't seem very modular.
>
> I would also like to be able to use the ASP.NET 2.0 features like
> master pages, themes etc.
>
> Anyone have experience of such a solution or should I just give up on
> a modular approach
>
> Thanks,
> CJB.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Canice
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2007
On Aug 1, 4:07 pm, "Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Move your functionality into the business layer, where it belongs. Add a
> facade to aid the UI layer. And, if there is any business that is client
> specific, put into its own library.
>
> You can, in general, leave the ASPX files alone and use Themes for client
> specific. On the pieces that the form works the same, essentially, for all
> implementations, but slightly different for client, make a client version of
> a library.
>
> Experience? Sure, I am in the process of doing it now. It is a bugger to get
> it right and you have to plan it out on paper before getting too far into
> coding. If you are still embedding code in your ASPX pages, quit it now. It
> will not be modular.
>
> If you are not well-versed in tiered development, consider purchasing the
> Design Pattern Framework 2.0 from dofactory.com. It is cheap and will teach
> you patterns in addition to giving you a reference architecture.
>
> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBAhttp://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com
> Co-author: Microsoft Expression Web Bible (upcoming)
>
> ************************************************
> Think outside the box!
> ************************************************"C anice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
>
>
> > I'm working on a web application where 90% of it is common 'product'
> > code an the other 10% is customer specific.

>
> > I want some method of separating the customer specific presentation,
> > business and data access layers from the product code as I don't the
> > main product code to be bloated with customer specific code.

>
> > Ideally I'd like to have one solution for the product and one for each
> > customer. However I haven't found a way to separate the presentation
> > layer.
> > I thought that the Web Client Software Factory would work, however it
> > still requires the .aspx files for the modules to be part of the main
> > web-site/application - which doesn't seem very modular.

>
> > I would also like to be able to use the ASP.NET 2.0 features like
> > master pages, themes etc.

>
> > Anyone have experience of such a solution or should I just give up on
> > a modular approach

>
> > Thanks,
> > CJB.


Thanks for the reply Gregory.

The application will be split into DAL, Business and Presentations
layered and within the presentation layer I'm using the MVP pattern,
so all that will be in the ASPX pages is the asp.net controls, HTML
etc. Any UI related logic will be in the Presenter class and all
business logic will be in a another layer.

However some of these ASPX pages will still be customer specific and
I'd prefer not to deploy them with every install.

Regards,
Canice.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
Supply Telephone Voice Modular Adapters,Telephone Modular Couplers,Modular Duplex Jack,Triplex Adapters,Telephone extension Cord samul888@vip.163.com Cisco 1 11-13-2005 09:23 AM
Supply Telephone Voice Modular Adapters,Telephone Modular Couplers,Modular Duplex Jack,Triplex Adapters,Telephone extension Cord samul888@vip.163.com Computer Support 0 11-12-2005 06:22 AM
Supply Telephone Voice Modular Adapters,Telephone Modular Couplers,Modular Duplex Jack,Triplex Adapters,Telephone extension Cord samul888@vip.163.com VOIP 0 11-12-2005 06:22 AM



Advertisments