Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Unable to open the Web...You are not authorized to perform the current operation

Unable to open the Web...You are not authorized to perform the current operation

ssg31415926

I'm getting the error: "Unable to open the Web 'http://blah/blahblah'.
You are not authorized to perform the current operation". I have
changed a few things recently but I can't change them back as I need
them. I can't find anything about it using searches.

Yesterday, I removed the "Enable anonymous access" option from my web
(within the Default Web Site). The web has Integrated Windows
authentication checked. The site must check AD group membership so I
need these options set like this. (It runs with a particular AppPool
which uses a network account.)

Immediately afterwards, when I tried to access a page on the site the
User name/Password authentication pane appeared - this wasn't
happening before. A bit of research revealed that a site set up like
this needs an SPN. The server itself had two, one with the netbios
name and one with the fully qualified DNS name. So, I set up two for
the AppPool account. After this, when I tried to access the page, I
didn't get the authentication panel. So far, so good.

However, today I decided to tweak a page, so I went to open up the
site in VS2005 and got the User name/Password authentication pane - I
tried my ID (which is a member of Administrators on the server) and it
didn't work - the pane reappeared. When I clicked cancel I got this
error: "Unable to open the Web 'http://blah'. You are not authorized
to perform the current operation"

Any suggestions?

(The server is 2003 R2, patched to recent.)

Alexey Smirnov

On Aug 1, 2:51 pm, ssg31415926 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm getting the error: "Unable to open the Web 'http://blah/blahblah'.
> You are not authorized to perform the current operation". I have
> changed a few things recently but I can't change them back as I need
> them. I can't find anything about it using searches.
>
> Yesterday, I removed the "Enable anonymous access" option from my web
> (within the Default Web Site). The web has Integrated Windows
> authentication checked. The site must check AD group membership so I
> need these options set like this. (It runs with a particular AppPool
> which uses a network account.)
>
> Immediately afterwards, when I tried to access a page on the site the
> User name/Password authentication pane appeared - this wasn't
> happening before. A bit of research revealed that a site set up like
> this needs an SPN. The server itself had two, one with the netbios
> name and one with the fully qualified DNS name. So, I set up two for
> the AppPool account. After this, when I tried to access the page, I
> didn't get the authentication panel. So far, so good.
>
> However, today I decided to tweak a page, so I went to open up the
> site in VS2005 and got the User name/Password authentication pane - I
> tried my ID (which is a member of Administrators on the server) and it
> didn't work - the pane reappeared. When I clicked cancel I got this
> error: "Unable to open the Web 'http://blah'. You are not authorized
> to perform the current operation"
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> (The server is 2003 R2, patched to recent.)

What permissions do you have on the directory where the website is
located?

ssg31415926

My account is a member of local Administrators on the server (one of
many things I had to do to get remote debugging working). It has Full
Control over the folder. I've checked the individual files and the
Full Control permissions are inherited. I can access the pages using
a browser, I just can't edit the site.

I did have a Kerberos problem for a while but resetting the server's
SPN seems to have fixed it - at least, there are now no error messages
in the event log on restarting the server.

On 1 Aug, 20:27, Alexey Smirnov <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 1, 2:51 pm, ssg31415926 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > I'm getting the error: "Unable to open the Web 'http://blah/blahblah'.
> > You are not authorized to perform the current operation". I have
> > changed a few things recently but I can't change them back as I need
> > them. I can't find anything about it using searches.

> > Yesterday, I removed the "Enable anonymous access" option from my web
> > (within the Default Web Site). The web has Integrated Windows
> > authentication checked. The site must check AD group membership so I
> > need these options set like this. (It runs with a particular AppPool
> > which uses a network account.)

> > Immediately afterwards, when I tried to access a page on the site the
> > User name/Password authentication pane appeared - this wasn't
> > happening before. A bit of research revealed that a site set up like
> > this needs an SPN. The server itself had two, one with the netbios
> > name and one with the fully qualified DNS name. So, I set up two for
> > the AppPool account. After this, when I tried to access the page, I
> > didn't get the authentication panel. So far, so good.

> > However, today I decided to tweak a page, so I went to open up the
> > site in VS2005 and got the User name/Password authentication pane - I
> > tried my ID (which is a member of Administrators on the server) and it
> > didn't work - the pane reappeared. When I clicked cancel I got this
> > error: "Unable to open the Web 'http://blah'. You are not authorized
> > to perform the current operation"

> > Any suggestions?

> > (The server is 2003 R2, patched to recent.)

> What permissions do you have on the directory where the website is
> located?

ssg31415926

It's definitely to do with the SPNs: I deleted the two SPNs I added
the other day and the problem reverted back to the original: IE asked
for credentials but refused to accept them, VS2005 didn't ask for
creds and successfully accessed the site.

Then I added back the SPN (using SETSPN -A http/fqdn.of.server
NetBIOSDomainName\AccountName) and the problem swapped back: IE didn't
ask for creds and successfully accessed the site, VS2005 asked for
credentials but refused to accept them.

So, it's something to do with the Service Principal Name, but what?