Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > find the first thursday from a given month

find the first thursday from a given month

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

HI I have a stored procedure that returns data with a date field in the form
of a DateTime type. I need to place data in variables based on days of the
week starting with the first thursday of the month. So the week would be
week 1= (first thursday of the month through the next wed). So for example
for July 07 the first thursday is july5th so the first week would be thursday
july 5th , friday july 6th, sat july 7th, sun july 8th, mon july 9th, tue
july 10th and wed july 11th. The second week would start with thursday july
12. I think I can do this if I can just get the first thursday of the month
of the date that is read in but not quite sure how to do this? I am also
passing in the day of the week string (mon, tue) ect from the same stored
procedure.
Thanks Paul.
--
Paul G
Software engineer.

Hans Kesting

> HI I have a stored procedure that returns data with a date field in
> the form
> of a DateTime type. I need to place data in variables based on days
> of the
> week starting with the first thursday of the month. So the week would
> be
> week 1= (first thursday of the month through the next wed). So for
> example
> for July 07 the first thursday is july5th so the first week would be
> thursday
> july 5th , friday july 6th, sat july 7th, sun july 8th, mon july 9th,
> tue
> july 10th and wed july 11th. The second week would start with
> thursday july
> 12. I think I can do this if I can just get the first thursday of the
> month
> of the date that is read in but not quite sure how to do this? I am
> also
> passing in the day of the week string (mon, tue) ect from the same
> stored
> procedure.
> Thanks Paul.

Find out what day the first of that month is, then you know how many
days to add to get to the first thursday.

Hans Kesting

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

Hi thanks for the response. Yes I think what I need is the integer value of
the first thursday of the month. I currently have read in the date as a
datetime type. Just wondering how to get the first day of the month?
--
Paul G
Software engineer.

"Hans Kesting" wrote:

> > HI I have a stored procedure that returns data with a date field in
> > the form
> > of a DateTime type. I need to place data in variables based on days
> > of the
> > week starting with the first thursday of the month. So the week would
> > be
> > week 1= (first thursday of the month through the next wed). So for
> > example
> > for July 07 the first thursday is july5th so the first week would be
> > thursday
> > july 5th , friday july 6th, sat july 7th, sun july 8th, mon july 9th,
> > tue
> > july 10th and wed july 11th. The second week would start with
> > thursday july
> > 12. I think I can do this if I can just get the first thursday of the
> > month
> > of the date that is read in but not quite sure how to do this? I am
> > also
> > passing in the day of the week string (mon, tue) ect from the same
> > stored
> > procedure.
> > Thanks Paul.

> Find out what day the first of that month is, then you know how many
> days to add to get to the first thursday.
>
> Hans Kesting

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Just wondering how to get the first day of the month?

public static DateTime GetFirstDayInMonth(DateTime dt)
{
DateTime dtRet = new DateTime(dt.Year, dt.Month, 1, 0,0,0); return dtRet;
}

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
======================================
"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi thanks for the response. Yes I think what I need is the integer value of
> the first thursday of the month. I currently have read in the date as a
> datetime type. Just wondering how to get the first day of the month?
> --
> Paul G
> Software engineer.
>

> "Hans Kesting" wrote:
>
>> > HI I have a stored procedure that returns data with a date field in
>> > the form
>> > of a DateTime type. I need to place data in variables based on days
>> > of the
>> > week starting with the first thursday of the month. So the week would
>> > be
>> > week 1= (first thursday of the month through the next wed). So for
>> > example
>> > for July 07 the first thursday is july5th so the first week would be
>> > thursday
>> > july 5th , friday july 6th, sat july 7th, sun july 8th, mon july 9th,
>> > tue
>> > july 10th and wed july 11th. The second week would start with
>> > thursday july
>> > 12. I think I can do this if I can just get the first thursday of the
>> > month
>> > of the date that is read in but not quite sure how to do this? I am
>> > also
>> > passing in the day of the week string (mon, tue) ect from the same
>> > stored
>> > procedure.
>> > Thanks Paul.

>> Find out what day the first of that month is, then you know how many
>> days to add to get to the first thursday.
>>
>> Hans Kesting

Mark Rae [MVP]

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi thanks for the response. Yes I think what I need is the integer value
> of
> the first thursday of the month. I currently have read in the date as a
> datetime type. Just wondering how to get the first day of the month?

DateTime dtmToday = DateTime.Now;
DateTime dtmFirstOfMonth = new DateTime(dtmToday.Year, dtmToday.Month, 1);

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

Thanks for the replies, it works!
--
Paul G
Software engineer.

"Mark Rae [MVP]" wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Hi thanks for the response. Yes I think what I need is the integer value
> > of
> > the first thursday of the month. I currently have read in the date as a
> > datetime type. Just wondering how to get the first day of the month?

> DateTime dtmToday = DateTime.Now;
> DateTime dtmFirstOfMonth = new DateTime(dtmToday.Year, dtmToday.Month, 1);
>

> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://www.markrae.net

Mark Rae [MVP]

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Thanks for the replies, it works!

DateTime dtmToday = DateTime.Now;
DateTime dtmFirstOfMonth = new DateTime(dtmToday.Year, dtmToday.Month, 1);
DateTime dtmFirstThursday = dtmFirstOfMonth;
while (dtmFirstThursday.DayOfWeek != DayOfWeek.Thursday)
{
dtmFirstThursday = dtmFirstThursday.AddDays(1);
}

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP