Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > VPN and MN-700

VPN and MN-700

12-26-2004
I already setup a forward for port 1723 but I still can't connect a VPN thru
my router. Any idea of what could be the problem? Is anyone here using
Windows XP VPN?

Thanks you all,
Alex

Sooner Al

12-26-2004
I use incoming PPTP VPN to my XP Pro box, its my VPN server, through a Linksys BEFSR41 (Version 1)
Broadband router.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...03PPTPVPN.html

I tried this same thing with my Buffalo WBR-G54 4-Port Broadband Router/Wireless Access Point but
could never get it to work. It comes down to being a firmware issue on both my Linksys and Buffalo
devices. With some versions of the firmware on the Linksys incoming PPTP VPN does not work at all.
With the newest version of firmware (1.42.6) it does. The Buffalo never did allow incoming PPTP VPN
even though Buffalo Tech Support said it did...

In addition to forwarding TCP Port 1723 on my Linksys I also have to enable "PPTP Pass Through".
That enables GRE Protocol 47 traffic. Does the MN-700 have something similar. Some routers also call
that "VPN Pass Through"...

So, more than likely its a firmware issue, at least in my experience...

You might post to the microsoft.public.broadband.hardware news group for a better answer...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

<Alex> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I already setup a forward for port 1723 but I still can't connect a VPN thru
> my router. Any idea of what could be the problem? Is anyone here using
> Windows XP VPN?
>
> Thanks you all,
> Alex
>