Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > bad clusters/sectors on new laptop, chkdsk gets stuck trying to repair

bad clusters/sectors on new laptop, chkdsk gets stuck trying to repair

techman41973@yahoo.com

I recently bought a new HP laptop with an extended warrantee.
In the past few weeks, often I would get the blue screen of death and
the system will just spontaneously crash and then I have to reboot. I
ran chkdsk and it says there are errors on the drive (no specifics).
It then tells me it couldn't repair the problems because the drive was
locked by other processes. I then entered in the command prompt
chkdsk /F/R and answered Yes for to authorize CHKDSK to run on reboot.
When CHKDSK runs on reboot everything is fine until stage 4/5 where I
get a ton of error messages, all the same
"the disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters"
I then went into windows and noticed I have only 26GB filled with 74GB
free on a 100GB hard drive. There are no other partitions. So I don't
understand why I am getting this error.
I wonder if there is something seriously wrong with the hard disk
drive.
I want to avoid sending it in to HP as I don't want to be without a
laptop for a few weeks.
Is there anything I can do to fix this problem or diagnose it further.
Thanks

GreenieLeBrun

> I recently bought a new HP laptop with an extended warrantee.
> In the past few weeks, often I would get the blue screen of death and
> the system will just spontaneously crash and then I have to reboot. I
> ran chkdsk and it says there are errors on the drive (no specifics).
> It then tells me it couldn't repair the problems because the drive was
> locked by other processes. I then entered in the command prompt
> chkdsk /F/R and answered Yes for to authorize CHKDSK to run on reboot.
> When CHKDSK runs on reboot everything is fine until stage 4/5 where I
> get a ton of error messages, all the same
> "the disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters"
> I then went into windows and noticed I have only 26GB filled with 74GB
> free on a 100GB hard drive. There are no other partitions. So I don't
> understand why I am getting this error.
> I wonder if there is something seriously wrong with the hard disk
> drive.
> I want to avoid sending it in to HP as I don't want to be without a
> laptop for a few weeks.
> Is there anything I can do to fix this problem or diagnose it further.
> Thanks

Back up your data NOW. The disk is doomed and there is nothing you can do
about it but send the machine back to HP to get the HDD replaced.

Mike Easter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I recently bought a new HP laptop with an extended warrantee.

> I want to avoid sending it in to HP as I don't want to be without a
> laptop for a few weeks.

And there's the rub -- what is the value of an extended warrantee for
someone who can't be without the (concept of) a 'spare' computer?

If you have to do all of the troubleshooting and dirty work, what is the
value of the extra $$ for the extra warantee? If you don't already have
a spare one, then you could go buy another computer, and send your LT
off to HP for an indeterminate period. And forget about any data you
haven't recovered/ backed up/ somehow.

Who wants to be without any computer for 'a while'?

> Is there anything I can do to fix this problem or diagnose it further.

I would be very very worried about the integrity of my drive; and this
is one of the times, new, these problems show up.

I'm concerned that it took you a little thinking to realize that you
weren't going to get good chkdisk while running in gear, but at least
you worked your way to the appropriate scary result.

--
Mike Easter

JANA

It sounds like a failing hard drive. Back up the data, and send the computer
to have it serviced.

--

JANA
_____

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
[...]

Keme

(E-Mail Removed) skrev:
> I recently bought a new HP laptop with an extended warrantee.
> In the past few weeks, often I would get the blue screen of death and
> the system will just spontaneously crash and then I have to reboot. I
> ran chkdsk and it says there are errors on the drive (no specifics).
> It then tells me it couldn't repair the problems because the drive was
> locked by other processes. I then entered in the command prompt
> chkdsk /F/R and answered Yes for to authorize CHKDSK to run on reboot.
> When CHKDSK runs on reboot everything is fine until stage 4/5 where I
> get a ton of error messages, all the same
> "the disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters"
> I then went into windows and noticed I have only 26GB filled with 74GB
> free on a 100GB hard drive. There are no other partitions. So I don't
> understand why I am getting this error.
> I wonder if there is something seriously wrong with the hard disk
> drive.
> I want to avoid sending it in to HP as I don't want to be without a
> laptop for a few weeks.
> Is there anything I can do to fix this problem or diagnose it further.
> Thanks

Talk to HP and explain your situation. They may accept your diagnose and
allow you to change the HDD yourself, sending you a replacement and
requiring the faulty one to be returned.

Not likely, but it happens...

Cub

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I recently bought a new HP laptop with an extended warrantee.
> In the past few weeks, often I would get the blue screen of death and
> the system will just spontaneously crash and then I have to reboot. I
> ran chkdsk and it says there are errors on the drive (no specifics).
> It then tells me it couldn't repair the problems because the drive was
> locked by other processes. I then entered in the command prompt
> chkdsk /F/R and answered Yes for to authorize CHKDSK to run on reboot.
> When CHKDSK runs on reboot everything is fine until stage 4/5 where I
> get a ton of error messages, all the same
> "the disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters"
> I then went into windows and noticed I have only 26GB filled with 74GB
> free on a 100GB hard drive. There are no other partitions. So I don't
> understand why I am getting this error.
> I wonder if there is something seriously wrong with the hard disk
> drive.
> I want to avoid sending it in to HP as I don't want to be without a
> laptop for a few weeks.
> Is there anything I can do to fix this problem or diagnose it further.
> Thanks

You and your laptop should qualify for a home/office repair typically next
business day. go to the HP warranty checker and put the product code and
serial in to the checker. don't even think of a chkdsk fix , thats what
warranty is for (back up your data quick)

Cub

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Cub wrote:

> You and your laptop should qualify for a home/office repair typically next
> business day. go to the HP warranty checker and put the product code and

Him *and* his laptop?

Cub

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Cub wrote:
>
>> You and your laptop should qualify for a home/office repair typically
>> next business day. go to the HP warranty checker and put the product code
>> and

> Him *and* his laptop?

Well , he is able to log a call with HP direct rather than go via an agent
for the manufacturer and he will be able to talk to HP directly rather than
once again going via a reseller

Cub

Collinsia Annectans

JANA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...

> send the computer to have it serviced.

>> I want to avoid sending it in to HP

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Top-posting dumb**** JANATARD does it again.

Cub

"Cub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:f8obuf$jbt$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Cub wrote:
>>
>>> You and your laptop should qualify for a home/office repair typically
>>> next business day. go to the HP warranty checker and put the product
>>> code and

>> Him *and* his laptop?

> Well , he is able to log a call with HP direct rather than go via an
> agent for the manufacturer and he will be able to talk to HP directly
> rather than once again going via a reseller
>

> Cub

..