Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP.Net ReportingServices & CPU Usage

ASP.Net ReportingServices & CPU Usage

Blasting Cap

I tried turning off Async, and it didn't make any difference.

On the page (plain old dot net aspx page), what I've found out is that
it will load and act normally, but as soon as the page has been
rendered, it starts the clocking behavior. When you try to move the
scrollbars on the report, etc. it takes a long time to get them to
respond. And when they do, they immediately go back to maxing out the
CPU.

I tried the suggestion of putting a button that sets the report name,
and it didn't make any difference. Code is below.

What happened was that when I ran the page, with the
reportviewer1.visible = false, only the button rendered and the web page
was fine - it wasn't hanging the CPU. I hit the button, and it performs
exactly as I indicated earlier. It displays the report, and it pegs the
CPU at 100% and stays that way until I kill the page.

Here's the code in the codefile:

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
If Not Page.IsPostBack Then
Me.ReportViewer1.Visible = False
End If
ReportViewer1.ServerReport.ReportPath = ""

End Sub

System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
ReportViewer1.Visible = True
ReportViewer1.ServerReport.ReportPath = "/BA10listing"

End Sub

The code in the aspx part of the page:

<%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="false"
CodeFile="Default.aspx.vb" Inherits="_Default" %>

<%@ Register Assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=8.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
Namespace="Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms" TagPrefix="rsweb" %>

<head runat="server">
<title>Untitled Page</title>
</head>

<form id="form1" runat="server">
<asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" Text="Button" />
<rsweb:ReportViewer ID="ReportViewer1" runat="server"
Font-Names="Verdana" Font-Size="8pt" Height="400px"
ProcessingMode="Remote" Width="400px" AsyncRendering="False"
ShowDocumentMapButton="False">
<ServerReport ReportPath="/BA10listing"
ReportServerUrl="http://mycomputer/ReportServer$SQL2005/" />
</rsweb:ReportViewer>
&nbsp;

</form>

..... so you can see there's a lot going on here. The report returns
~100 records or so, no calculations, no summation, no grand totals.
Basically a "nothing" report, just listing product info data. Both the
IIS and the reportserver are on my computer.

In SQL Reporting Services in the web browser, this report displays fine,
no problems. It's only when I call it from the Reportviewer inside a
web page that it hangs.

Any ideas? Anyone?

BC

Bruce L-C [MVP] wrote:
> Again, note that I have only used this with Winform control not webform
> control. A couple of things to try. Try turning async off. Next, don't have
> the report hardcoded. Instead, put a button that sets the report name and
> other information (just as a test)

Bruce L-C [MVP]

I suggest posting this to the web based forums. I know the other MVP hangs
out there and he has used this control a lot. I suggest putting reportviewer
control in the subject.

http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/sho...id=82&siteid=1

--
Bruce Loehle-Conger