Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > making a new drive the boot drive in a 2 hard drive system

making a new drive the boot drive in a 2 hard drive system

hi2u

hi, I am using windows XP.

I recently installed a new hard drive, but also wanted to keep the old
one.
So i have now 2 copies of windows XP installed on 2 different hard
drives.

I want to boot from the new hard drive it wont let me.
the old hard drive still boots fine.

please suggest what i should change so i can boot from the newly
installed hard drive.

any help much appreciated, thanks.

Cub

Put the new drive on as master if not already and remover the original

If the new drive boots ok add the original as slave

Cub

"hi2u" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> hi, I am using windows XP.
>
> I recently installed a new hard drive, but also wanted to keep the old
> one.
> So i have now 2 copies of windows XP installed on 2 different hard
> drives.
>
> I want to boot from the new hard drive it wont let me.
> the old hard drive still boots fine.
>
> please suggest what i should change so i can boot from the newly
> installed hard drive.
>
> any help much appreciated, thanks.

Ron Martell

hi2u <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>hi, I am using windows XP.
>
>I recently installed a new hard drive, but also wanted to keep the old
>one.
>So i have now 2 copies of windows XP installed on 2 different hard
>drives.
>
>I want to boot from the new hard drive it wont let me.
>the old hard drive still boots fine.
>
>please suggest what i should change so i can boot from the newly
>installed hard drive.
>
>any help much appreciated, thanks.

If you installed Windows to the second hard drive with the first one
still in place then it probably installed on that drive using drive
letter D: and, more importantly, the basic boot files are all on your
original hard drive (C.

In order to do what you want you will have to first remove the old
hard drive (or at least disconnect the power and data cables) and
configure your new hard drive as the master drive. Then you will
have to reinstall Windows XP onto that drive.

Once Windows is installed on the new drive and is booting properly you
can then configure (using jumpers or cable select) the old drive as
the slave drive (or connect it as the master drive on the secondary
IDe channel). The old Windows installation will not be bootable or
usable, but the files on the old drive will be accessible.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 200
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

philo

"hi2u" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> hi, I am using windows XP.
>
> I recently installed a new hard drive, but also wanted to keep the old
> one.
> So i have now 2 copies of windows XP installed on 2 different hard
> drives.
>
> I want to boot from the new hard drive it wont let me.
> the old hard drive still boots fine.

<snip>

No matter which drive you install windows on...the boot files are always
written to the first primary partition...

So you need to install your new drive as master and reinstall XP onto it