Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless USB Adapter on XP VM machine

Wireless USB Adapter on XP VM machine

=?Utf-8?B?Z2FyeTAzNzE=?=

I realise this may sound a strange setup, but bear with me.....

I have a Netgear WN121T USB Wireless N adapter and I'm trying to get an XP
machine that is running on VMWare Server to work with it. My access point is
running WPA2 and I've downloaded the XP hotfix to support WPA2.

The XP machine recognises the adapter and actually sees what networks
(including mine) are available, but just can't connect.....Any ideas ?

Pavel A.

Can it connect with no WPA or other security?

--PA

"gary0371" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I realise this may sound a strange setup, but bear with me.....
>
> I have a Netgear WN121T USB Wireless N adapter and I'm trying to get an XP
> machine that is running on VMWare Server to work with it. My access point is
> running WPA2 and I've downloaded the XP hotfix to support WPA2.
>
> The XP machine recognises the adapter and actually sees what networks
> (including mine) are available, but just can't connect.....Any ideas ?

=?Utf-8?B?Z2FyeTAzNzE=?=

Pavel,

I must admit that i have yet to try that - next on my list - just wanted to
get an opinion from the board to see if I was missing something obvious.

I have a 'normal' XP machine that has no problem connecting using WPA2,
however that is a fully patched machine. It is difficult to do this with the
virtual XP machine as I can't get connected to the net - catch 22 situation.

"Pavel A." wrote:

> Can it connect with no WPA or other security?
>
> --PA
>
> "gary0371" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I realise this may sound a strange setup, but bear with me.....
> >
> > I have a Netgear WN121T USB Wireless N adapter and I'm trying to get an XP
> > machine that is running on VMWare Server to work with it. My access point is
> > running WPA2 and I've downloaded the XP hotfix to support WPA2.
> >
> > The XP machine recognises the adapter and actually sees what networks
> > (including mine) are available, but just can't connect.....Any ideas ?

Pavel A.

"gary0371" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Pavel,
>
> I must admit that i have yet to try that - next on my list - just wanted to
> get an opinion from the board to see if I was missing something obvious.
>
> I have a 'normal' XP machine that has no problem connecting using WPA2,
> however that is a fully patched machine. It is difficult to do this with the
> virtual XP machine as I can't get connected to the net - catch 22 situation.

Apologies for delay - I read this NG rarely these days.
Perhaps the answer is that security protocols are quite sensitive to latency and loss of packets,
and VMware USB layer creates such random delays.
The N can make the situation only worse: even though generally N improves signal quality, on VMware it's higher data rate causes
more bursty USB traffic and worse latency.

Regards,
--PA