Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco 796xs SIP Backup proxy

Cisco 796xs SIP Backup proxy

sim

Hi all,
I have question about how the SIP backup proxy function works in Cisco
handsets. Im using both 7960 and 7961G.

Im connecting them to 2 Asterisk servers (dont shoot me!!) and they
work, very well, Asterisk1 is primary proxy and ASterisk 2 is backup
proxy. I know that they are B2BUA not true SIP proxies, but Im not sure
thatshould make any difference.

All handsets register to both Asterisk servers, they register to
Asterisk1 first and a telnet or ssh to the phone and a
"#show config" on the phones show that they are registered to the
backup. Problem is that when i drop the ethernet on Asterisk1, the 7961s
dont fail over to the backup.

I thought that the phones invite would be sufficient for the call to be
placed out the backup, i see the udp to the backup and then the Invite
and register, but the phone never actually initiates the call, only does
the registration, over and over.
I get the same problem using either model, so i dont think its IOS
problem. Im think that it may only be possible with CCM,

Any clues or hints??

Any help here would be very much appreciated,

Cheers

Simon

corb

"sim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46adb644$0$31395$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
> I have question about how the SIP backup proxy function works in Cisco
> handsets. Im using both 7960 and 7961G.
>
> Im connecting them to 2 Asterisk servers (dont shoot me!!) and they work,
> very well, Asterisk1 is primary proxy and ASterisk 2 is backup proxy. I
> know that they are B2BUA not true SIP proxies, but Im not sure thatshould
> make any difference.
>
> All handsets register to both Asterisk servers, they register to
> Asterisk1 first and a telnet or ssh to the phone and a
> "#show config" on the phones show that they are registered to the backup.
> Problem is that when i drop the ethernet on Asterisk1, the 7961s dont fail
> over to the backup.
>
> I thought that the phones invite would be sufficient for the call to be
> placed out the backup, i see the udp to the backup and then the Invite and
> register, but the phone never actually initiates the call, only does the
> registration, over and over.
> I get the same problem using either model, so i dont think its IOS
> problem. Im think that it may only be possible with CCM,
>
> Any clues or hints??
>
> Any help here would be very much appreciated,
>
> Cheers
>
> Simon

Just an idea (not an IPT Guru or anything - going on a CISCO IPT course
soon) if Ethernet is pulled from server 1 say, will the phone work if you
remove and re add the phone Ethernet, and also if you do a shut and no shut
on the interface? If so maybe you can have a method for checking that the
server is up, then maybe doing shut and then a no shut on the phone
interface if it goes down?