Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > USB Keyboard & Mouse

USB Keyboard & Mouse

udz2002

Last week, I moved my sister's computer to her new house. Once XP
loads you cannot use the USB mouse or keyboard, and the new hardware
wizard prompts you for device drivers. Using this wizard is impossible
because you cannot use the USB mouse and keyboard. I tried numerous
USB ports and rebooted many times, I even tried one without the other.
When I reboot and go into Dell Diagnostics or BIOS setup, the mouse
and keyboard work fine. So I have narrowed it down to windows.

I also used an Ubuntu LiveCD to access and backup her XP files.

How do I get the keyboard and mouse to work without restoring the
whole system?

Josh

Alfred

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 02:14:30 -0700, udz2002 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Last week, I moved my sister's computer to her new house. Once XP
>loads you cannot use the USB mouse or keyboard, and the new hardware
>wizard prompts you for device drivers. Using this wizard is impossible
>because you cannot use the USB mouse and keyboard. I tried numerous
>USB ports and rebooted many times, I even tried one without the other.
>When I reboot and go into Dell Diagnostics or BIOS setup, the mouse
>and keyboard work fine. So I have narrowed it down to windows.
>
>I also used an Ubuntu LiveCD to access and backup her XP files.
>
>How do I get the keyboard and mouse to work without restoring the
>whole system?

Tried safe mode?

If that fails then buy or borrow PS/2 ended mouse/kb and use them to
reinstall the drivers.

>Josh

ded

"udz2002" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Last week, I moved my sister's computer to her new house. Once XP
> loads you cannot use the USB mouse or keyboard, and the new hardware
> wizard prompts you for device drivers. Using this wizard is impossible
> because you cannot use the USB mouse and keyboard. I tried numerous
> USB ports and rebooted many times, I even tried one without the other.
> When I reboot and go into Dell Diagnostics or BIOS setup, the mouse
> and keyboard work fine. So I have narrowed it down to windows.
>
> I also used an Ubuntu LiveCD to access and backup her XP files.
>
> How do I get the keyboard and mouse to work without restoring the
> whole system?
>
> Josh

On your PC create a boot CD, and also copy to it the mouse+keyboard
drivers. Use the boot CD to access XP on your sis PC and install the drivers
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato

udz2002 wrote:

> Last week, I moved my sister's computer to her new house. Once XP
> loads you cannot use the USB mouse or keyboard, and the new hardware

One should always have a standard ps/2 mouse and keyboard for any new
windows pc to use.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

tinybot2k

On Jul 30, 7:24 am, Alfred <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 02:14:30 -0700, udz2002 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Last week, I moved my sister's computer to her new house. Once XP
> >loads you cannot use the USB mouse or keyboard, and the new hardware
> >wizard prompts you for device drivers. Using this wizard is impossible
> >because you cannot use the USB mouse and keyboard. I tried numerous
> >USB ports and rebooted many times, I even tried one without the other.
> >When I reboot and go into Dell Diagnostics or BIOS setup, the mouse
> >and keyboard work fine. So I have narrowed it down to windows.

> >I also used an Ubuntu LiveCD to access and backup her XP files.

> >How do I get the keyboard and mouse to work without restoring the
> >whole system?

> Tried safe mode?
>
> If that fails then buy or borrow PS/2 ended mouse/kb and use them to
> reinstall the drivers.
>

> >Josh

Also, some electronics stores sell a USB to PS/2 converter plug for
cheap. That way you can use your existing USB devices instead of
buying a new keyboard and mouse with PS/2 plugs to work.