Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > 3550 Traffic Policing Problem

3550 Traffic Policing Problem

Pouya Pouya is offline
Junior Member

Hi forum,

I am trying to limit traffic usage on one of my 3550's fastEthernet ports. This is the configuration I enter:

ip access-list extended test
permit ip any x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
deny ip any any
class-map test
match access-group name test
policy-map test
class test
police 200000 15000 exceed-action drop
interface fastEthernet0/6
service-policy input test
mls qos

So this should limit the receive of x.x.x.x users to 200,000 bps, right? but it doesn't. the "show mls qos int fast0/6 stat" shows that many bytes are dropped, but I can still download with whatever speed I like with a x.x.x.x IP (I tried upto 8Mbps). Is there any trick in configuring traffic policing on a 3550?

I should mention that int fast0/6 is a switchport, and the x.x.x.x users are connected to int fast0/7 which is also a switchport, but a member of a different vlan. Should I make both interfaces "no switchport"?!

Pouya Pouya is offline
Junior Member

Does anyone has experience in traffic policing using 3550?