Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Um, ok...ballot, or joke?

Um, ok...ballot, or joke?

Blinky the Shark

Rgr wrote:
> Mara wrote:

>> Another thing that amazes me is that you understood exactly what I was talking
>> about when no one else that I saw did. Was I unclear, or are people trying to
>> make this into something it isn't?

> No, I just have moments of lucidity. No telling when they'll happen.

When you sense one, could you put "[lucid]" in the Subject header so
it's obvious that the post is exceptional?

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Rgr wrote:
>> Mara wrote:

>>> Another thing that amazes me is that you understood exactly what I was talking
>>> about when no one else that I saw did. Was I unclear, or are people trying to
>>> make this into something it isn't?

>> No, I just have moments of lucidity. No telling when they'll happen.

> When you sense one, could you put "[lucid]" in the Subject header so
> it's obvious that the post is exceptional?

--
Whaddya think, SgtMinor? Was that sufficient?

Mara

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 17:25:12 -0400, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mara wrote:

>>> No, it's never immaterial. Even if you talk about it, you have the right
>>> to vote your conscience on the day of election. And there shouldn't be
>>> anyone breathing down your neck when you vote.

>> Exactly so. If your name, address, and VR number is on the envelope you use to
>> send the ballot in, there's no need whatsoever to have your VR number
>> hand-written on the ballot itself - unless someone wants to snoop.
>>
>> I've asked a few other people at work this morning if their ballots were marked
>> too. It will be interesting to see the results. I'm also wondering if maybe I
>> shouldn't ask the state AG about this. This thing just stinks.

Turns out another person at $orkplace had her number written on her ballot too.
I don't know if anyone outside work has yet.

I did e-mail the AG about this.

>> Another thing that amazes me is that you understood exactly what I was talking
>> about when no one else that I saw did. Was I unclear, or are people trying to
>> make this into something it isn't?

>No, I just have moments of lucidity. No telling when they'll happen.

Stop that immediately. As you well know moments of lucidity are not allowed in
24HSHD.

--
Og thought there was such thing as "evolution". How all these stupid
people still alive? Og boggle.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Mara wrote:
> Stop that immediately. As you well know moments of lucidity are not allowed in
> 24HSHD.

The last presidential race was the first time my area used touch-screen
computers for voting instead of the old "pull-the-lever" machines. I
knew most of the polling officials there, so after a while of standing
at the computer, I started whacking it on the side of the monitor. One
of them asked what's going on. I said "What the hell does 'ALL DATA HAS
BEEN DELETED' mean?" You should have seen the color drain from his face.

Mara

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:59:46 -0400, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mara wrote:
>> Stop that immediately. As you well know moments of lucidity are not allowed in
>> 24HSHD.

>The last presidential race was the first time my area used touch-screen
>computers for voting instead of the old "pull-the-lever" machines. I
>knew most of the polling officials there, so after a while of standing
>at the computer, I started whacking it on the side of the monitor. One
>of them asked what's going on. I said "What the hell does 'ALL DATA HAS
>BEEN DELETED' mean?" You should have seen the color drain from his face.

LOL I don't know why he'd get upset. The things are easy enough to hack.

The last time I voted was in a regular voting booth. Of course we don't use
computers here, but it's just as well. I'd be surprised if anyone could even
turn them on. Come to think of it, that's probably why they don't use them -
they probably think there's no chance for "influencing" the vote.

Mitch thinks I'm a cynic. Perhaps I am, but not about this - I'm being
realistic. I was born and raised here, and know the issue, know the issue
*behind* this issue, and know the people. If there's a way for people to turn
this into a big scandal that will drag on for decades, they'll find it.

JHC.

--
Og thought there was such thing as "evolution". How all these stupid
people still alive? Og boggle.
--Caveman Og, nanae, 5/11/2000

olfart

"Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:59:46 -0400, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> Mitch thinks I'm a cynic. Perhaps I am, but not about this - I'm being
> realistic. I was born and raised here, and know the issue, know the issue
> *behind* this issue, and know the people. If there's a way for people to
> turn
> this into a big scandal that will drag on for decades, they'll find it.

Back in the 1960's I lived in a small village in VA pop about 200.
The polling place was in the home of 2 elderly sisters. You went into their
dining room on on the table were 2 cardboard boxes one was state, the other
local election. The boxes had the tops folded closed, but they weren't
sealed shut.. Bet they knew the winners long before the election ended.

Mara

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:24:55 -0400, "olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:59:46 -0400, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> Mitch thinks I'm a cynic. Perhaps I am, but not about this - I'm being
>> realistic. I was born and raised here, and know the issue, know the issue
>> *behind* this issue, and know the people. If there's a way for people to
>> turn
>> this into a big scandal that will drag on for decades, they'll find it.
>>

>Back in the 1960's I lived in a small village in VA pop about 200.
>The polling place was in the home of 2 elderly sisters. You went into their
>dining room on on the table were 2 cardboard boxes one was state, the other
>local election. The boxes had the tops folded closed, but they weren't
>sealed shut.. Bet they knew the winners long before the election ended.

I'll bet they did too. But would they use that information against other
townspeople and try to make a huge issue of it, and keep the original issue
alive for years? Even today there's a huge "us against them" mentality in this
town. Ever since I moved back here both sides have tried to get me involved and
to take sides, which I refuse to do. Seems to me that writing the voter
registration number directly on the ballots would be an excellent way to try to
force the issue, and I'm not playing that game.

I refuse to vote at all until I've heard from the AG.

--
Og thought there was such thing as "evolution". How all these stupid
people still alive? Og boggle.
--Caveman Og, nanae, 5/11/2000

Brian Whiting

"Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:59:46 -0400, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Mara wrote:
>>> Stop that immediately. As you well know moments of lucidity are not
>>> allowed in
>>> 24HSHD.

>>The last presidential race was the first time my area used touch-screen
>>computers for voting instead of the old "pull-the-lever" machines. I
>>knew most of the polling officials there, so after a while of standing
>>at the computer, I started whacking it on the side of the monitor. One
>>of them asked what's going on. I said "What the hell does 'ALL DATA HAS
>>BEEN DELETED' mean?" You should have seen the color drain from his face.

> LOL I don't know why he'd get upset. The things are easy enough to hack.

Now Mara, you are out of touch with reality here. This is a favorite myth
in the United States. The machines being used here for the most part #1 are
impossible to hack into, and number 2 there would be no reason to hack into
the original machines. The Collecting machines (which take the information
and collate several machines at once thus giving totals for a particular
area would depend on a large number of people committing treason (and yes,
they sign forms stating that they would be charged with treason) in order to
have any problems with the vote. My voting area has used the machines for
this century and have never had a single issue that was the result of the
system breaking down. I have worked for the county in several elections and
the technical aspects have been completely limited to things like machines
power cords not providing power, paper jams, etc. So time has proven the
system works.

> The last time I voted was in a regular voting booth. Of course we don't
> use
> computers here, but it's just as well. I'd be surprised if anyone could
> even
> turn them on. Come to think of it, that's probably why they don't use
> them -
> they probably think there's no chance for "influencing" the vote.
>
> Mitch thinks I'm a cynic. Perhaps I am, but not about this - I'm being
> realistic. I was born and raised here, and know the issue, know the issue
> *behind* this issue, and know the people. If there's a way for people to
> turn
> this into a big scandal that will drag on for decades, they'll find it.
>
> JHC.

JHC?

--
Brian J. Whiting
(E-Mail Removed)

William Poaster

It was on, or about, Tue, 31 Jul 2007 09:43:55 -0400, that as I was
halfway through a large jam doughnut, Brian Whiting wrote:

> "Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>The last presidential race was the first time my area used touch-screen
>>>computers for voting instead of the old "pull-the-lever" machines. I
>>>knew most of the polling officials there, so after a while of standing
>>>at the computer, I started whacking it on the side of the monitor. One
>>>of them asked what's going on. I said "What the hell does 'ALL DATA HAS
>>>BEEN DELETED' mean?" You should have seen the color drain from his
>>>face.

>> LOL I don't know why he'd get upset. The things are easy enough to
>> hack.

> Now Mara, you are out of touch with reality here. This is a favorite
> myth in the United States.

Oh, this is a myth then:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/01/diebold_hack/

And perhaps this is too:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/06/d...acked-in-four-
minutes-flat/

And this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZws98jw67g

> The machines being used here for the most
> part #1 are impossible to hack into, and number 2 there would be no
> reason to hack into the original machines. The Collecting machines
> (which take the information and collate several machines at once thus
> giving totals for a particular area would depend on a large number of
> people committing treason (and yes, they sign forms stating that they
> would be charged with treason) in order to have any problems with the
> vote. My voting area has used the machines for this century and have
> never had a single issue that was the result of the system breaking
> down. I have worked for the county in several elections and the
> technical aspects have been completely limited to things like machines
> power cords not providing power, paper jams, etc. So time has proven
> the system works.

You sound like a sales rep for Diebold.

>> The last time I voted was in a regular voting booth. Of course we don't
>> use
>> computers here, but it's just as well. I'd be surprised if anyone could
>> even
>> turn them on. Come to think of it, that's probably why they don't use
>> them -
>> they probably think there's no chance for "influencing" the vote.
>>
>> Mitch thinks I'm a cynic. Perhaps I am, but not about this - I'm being
>> realistic. I was born and raised here, and know the issue, know the
>> issue *behind* this issue, and know the people. If there's a way for
>> people to turn
>> this into a big scandal that will drag on for decades, they'll find it.
>>
>> JHC.

> JHC?

Jesus H Christ.

--
The universe exploded out of nothingness 14 billion years ago.
14 billion years later, & some of us have 100 trillion

William Poaster

It was on, or about, Tue, 31 Jul 2007 06:58:11 -0500, that as I was
halfway through a large jam doughnut, Mara wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:59:46 -0400, Rôgêr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Mara wrote:
>>> Stop that immediately. As you well know moments of lucidity are not
>>> allowed in 24HSHD.

>>The last presidential race was the first time my area used touch-screen
>>computers for voting instead of the old "pull-the-lever" machines. I
>>knew most of the polling officials there, so after a while of standing
>>at the computer, I started whacking it on the side of the monitor. One
>>of them asked what's going on. I said "What the hell does 'ALL DATA HAS
>>BEEN DELETED' mean?" You should have seen the color drain from his face.

> LOL I don't know why he'd get upset. The things are easy enough to hack.

Yup, there's plenty of proof that they can be cracked.
More on cracking e-voting machines:-
"California e-voting machines have more holes than Swiss cheese"
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07...achine_review/