Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Vista ram question

Vista ram question

Joe

A friend has 3 Gigs of ram in his pc, but I don't think that Vista can
actually use it all....'am I right?
Isn't 2 Gigs the maximum?

Joe.

Pee Jay

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 23:21:40 GMT, "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>A friend has 3 Gigs of ram in his pc, but I don't think that Vista can
>actually use it all....'am I right?
>Isn't 2 Gigs the maximum?

This site says 4gb (32 bit) 8gb + (64 bit)

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_02.asp

--
Pee Jay
NSW Australia

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A friend has 3 Gigs of ram in his pc, but I don't think that Vista can
>actually use it all....'am I right?
>Isn't 2 Gigs the maximum?

It's windows for gosh sake, it will use as much RAM as you can throw
at it.

And Vista uses it more than it's predecessors.

--
Turn A PENCIL Into A LIGHT
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/726251..._into_a_light/

Leythos

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >A friend has 3 Gigs of ram in his pc, but I don't think that Vista can
> >actually use it all....'am I right?
> >Isn't 2 Gigs the maximum?

> It's windows for gosh sake, it will use as much RAM as you can throw
> at it.
>
> And Vista uses it more than it's predecessors.

Actually, depending on the motherboard and version if Vista, it will
only use 4GB Max and many motherboards don't allow access to the full
4GB, so 3GB is fully available in Vista.

--
Leythos - (E-Mail Removed) (remove 999 to email me)

and put on his website: http://www.webservertalk.com/message1907860.html
3rd link shows what he's exposed to children (the link I've include does
not directly display his filth). You can find the same information by
googling for 'PCBUTTS1' and 'exposed to kids'.

Star@*.*

wrote:

>A friend has 3 Gigs of ram in his pc, but I don't think that Vista can
>actually use it all....'am I right?
>Isn't 2 Gigs the maximum?
>
>Joe.

No your wrong.
Vista depending on 32Bit or 64bit will accept 4G or 8G. The 32 bit
version will only use 3G or the 4G the rest is reserver for the system
I/O and mapping.

Art

Mr. Arnold

"Leythos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>> >A friend has 3 Gigs of ram in his pc, but I don't think that Vista can
>> >actually use it all....'am I right?
>> >Isn't 2 Gigs the maximum?

>> It's windows for gosh sake, it will use as much RAM as you can throw
>> at it.
>>
>> And Vista uses it more than it's predecessors.

> Actually, depending on the motherboard and version if Vista, it will
> only use 4GB Max and many motherboards don't allow access to the full
> 4GB, so 3GB is fully available in Vista.

Sometimes, you have to take the 4GB out take it down to 2GB or something
like that before Vista will even install. After the install, you can put the
ram back into the machine.

why?

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 23:21:40 GMT, Joe wrote:

>A friend has 3 Gigs of ram in his pc, but I don't think that Vista can
>actually use it all....'am I right?
>Isn't 2 Gigs the maximum?

4GB is okay,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605
The system memory that is reported in the System Information dialog box
in Windows Vista is less than you expect if 4 GB of RAM is installed

<snip>

For example, the System Information dialog box may report 3,120
megabytes (MB) of system memory on a computer that has 4 GB of memory
installed (4,096 MB).

<snip>

For Windows Vista to use all 4 GB of memory on a computer that has 4 GB
of memory installed, the computer must meet the following requirements:
The chipset must support at least 8 GB of address space. Chipsets that
have this capability include the following:

<snip>

As mentioned in another post the slack is memory mapping and I/O.

Read the rest of the article yourself.

Vista 64-bit
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ons/64bit.mspx
Home Basic 8 GB