Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Good Reference Book

Good Reference Book

Dan Wenz

I'm looking for suggestions for a reference book, "layman" level - I
have one from the library, PC Magazine's "Guide for Home Networking", by
Les Freed, and see many others at Amazon. I do have a working 2 computer
wireless LAN setup at home and want the book in case of any problems
that might pop up, as they do from time to time.

Pavel A.

"Dan Wenz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking for suggestions for a reference book, "layman" level - I
> have one from the library, PC Magazine's "Guide for Home Networking", by
> Les Freed, and see many others at Amazon. I do have a working 2 computer
> wireless LAN setup at home and want the book in case of any problems
> that might pop up, as they do from time to time.

The Murphy Laws Complete - indispensable source of wisdom on wireless networking,
and networking in general.

Seriously, this technology is still in development, so any printed book you
could find will be either too academic or too technical, or obsolete.
The most current info in on the web and periodic press.
Keep handy links to support web sites for all your equipment.

--PA

Dan Wenz

Pavel A. wrote:

> The Murphy Laws Complete - indispensable source of wisdom on wireless networking,
> and networking in general.
>
> Seriously, this technology is still in development, so any printed book you
> could find will be either too academic or too technical, or obsolete.
> The most current info in on the web and periodic press.
> Keep handy links to support web sites for all your equipment.

Thanks! I always look for dates before buying a reference book in my
"hobbies", and invariably wish that they had been looseleaf editions!
The Web and newsgroups are my best sources of info., as my joining of
this Group exemplifies (Is that a real word?).

Pavel A.

"Dan Wenz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> as my joining of
> this Group exemplifies (Is that a real word?).

definitely! and don't forget the Murphy Laws.

--PA

Dan Wenz

Pavel A. wrote:

>>as my joining of
>>this Group exemplifies (Is that a real word?).

> definitely! and don't forget the Murphy Laws.

Sure, like, "Bread always falls jelly side down", etc.

Pavel A.

"Dan Wenz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sure, like, "Bread always falls jelly side down", etc.

Yep, and don't miss their technology story...

- No matter how good of a deal you get on computer components, the price will always drop immediately after the purchase.
- To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.
- Build a system that even a fool can use and only a fool will want to use it.
- If you are not thoroughly confused, you have not been thoroughly informed.
- A man with one watch is certain about time. A man with two watches isn't.

and...
- When all else fails, read the instructions.

oh, I have to stop now...
More pearls on http://www.murphys-laws.com/murphy/m...echnology.html