Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > retrieve a word document

retrieve a word document

bernar@bigpond.com

Hi,
I finished typing a word document, but forgot to save it, i went to
minimise it when i was accessing the internet, maybe i clicked on
close??? but there was no pop up to say if i wanted to save
document. i tried to go back to the document, but not there, then
went to the file tab to see if there was a trace of the last document?
nothing! have i lost it? or can I retrieve it! just happened a minute
ago

Maria

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

>Hi,
>I finished typing a word document, but forgot to save it, i went to
>minimise it when i was accessing the internet, maybe i clicked on
>close??? but there was no pop up to say if i wanted to save
>document. i tried to go back to the document, but not there, then
>went to the file tab to see if there was a trace of the last document?
>nothing! have i lost it? or can I retrieve it! just happened a minute
>ago

If you have save backup every so many minutes you can retrieve it.

You need to run recovery software http://tinyurl.com/gkktj and look
for something like wasdfas.tmp in the temp directory or a word
directory.

It will end in .TMP and be dated about the time you wrote it.

You might need to be able to view everything.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp

--

The 8 Strangest Communities on the Web
http://www.cracked.com/index.php?nam...=2271&pageid=2

Mike Easter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I finished typing a word document, but forgot to save it, i went to
> minimise it when i was accessing the internet, maybe i clicked on
> close??? but there was no pop up to say if i wanted to save
> document. i tried to go back to the document, but not there, then
> went to the file tab to see if there was a trace of the last document?
> nothing! have i lost it? or can I retrieve it! just happened a minute
> ago

Here's some advice someone gave that sounds pretty good for finding
where Word saved an unsaved temporary doc

// If you open Word, then go to TOOLS | OPTIONS, you will find a tab
where you ca set file saving options. Amongst them will be a setting to
tell WORD where to save TEMP files. By default it is under APPICATION
DATA in your user settings. By looking at the default on your system
you can determine which folder to look in for auto-saved files.
Navigate to that directory with Windows explorer and sort your right
side screen by DATE MODIFIED/ACCESSED and look for one of the strangely
named temp files closest to the time/date of your crash. DOuble click
that file and it will come up in Word where you can save it as you
like.//

Disregard the word 'crash' above and sub 'loss'.

--
Mike Easter

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I finished typing a word document, but forgot to save it, i went to
>> minimise it when i was accessing the internet, maybe i clicked on
>> close??? but there was no pop up to say if i wanted to save
>> document. i tried to go back to the document, but not there, then
>> went to the file tab to see if there was a trace of the last document?
>> nothing! have i lost it? or can I retrieve it! just happened a minute
>> ago

>Here's some advice someone gave that sounds pretty good for finding
>where Word saved an unsaved temporary doc
>
>// If you open Word, then go to TOOLS | OPTIONS, you will find a tab
>where you ca set file saving options. Amongst them will be a setting to
>tell WORD where to save TEMP files. By default it is under APPICATION
>DATA in your user settings. By looking at the default on your system
>you can determine which folder to look in for auto-saved files.
>Navigate to that directory with Windows explorer and sort your right
>side screen by DATE MODIFIED/ACCESSED and look for one of the strangely
>named temp files closest to the time/date of your crash. DOuble click
>that file and it will come up in Word where you can save it as you
>like.//
>
>Disregard the word 'crash' above and sub 'loss'.

I don't use word,
That sounds better than attempting a recovery.

I did have to save a doc file off a floppy once (as a computer tutor
at the college library) Undelete worked, and I was a 1 minute hero

--
Turn A PENCIL Into A LIGHT
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/726251..._into_a_light/

advisor

On Jul 29, 5:58 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi,
> I finished typing aworddocument, but forgot to save it, i went to
> minimise it when i was accessing the internet, maybe i clicked on
> close??? but there was no pop up to say if i wanted to savedocument. i tried to go back to thedocument, but not there, then
> went to the file tab to see if there was a trace of the lastdocument?
> nothing! have ilostit? or can I retrieve it! just happened a minute
> ago
>
> Maria

Here's some advice that might help: www.word-recovery.info .

ProfGene

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi,
> I finished typing a word document, but forgot to save it, i went to
> minimise it when i was accessing the internet, maybe i clicked on
> close??? but there was no pop up to say if i wanted to save
> document. i tried to go back to the document, but not there, then
> went to the file tab to see if there was a trace of the last document?
> nothing! have i lost it? or can I retrieve it! just happened a minute
> ago
>
> Maria

Some times temporary work is saved in a temporary file in places like
Window's Temp but most likely it is gone.

ded

"ProfGene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fc3shs$ub6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I finished typing a word document, but forgot to save it, i went to
>> minimise it when i was accessing the internet, maybe i clicked on
>> close??? but there was no pop up to say if i wanted to save
>> document. i tried to go back to the document, but not there, then
>> went to the file tab to see if there was a trace of the last document?
>> nothing! have i lost it? or can I retrieve it! just happened a minute
>> ago
>>
>> Maria
>>

> Some times temporary work is saved in a temporary file in places like
> Window's Temp but most likely it is gone.

To OP:
Do you have Tweak UI installed?
Until you answer, try this:
Open word
Click: File, a sort of click-on drop down menu appears
Scroll to bottom of that menu and Check the "Recently used file list",
it maybe there.