Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Selection of INTEL PROSet/wireless tomanage wi-fi connection

Selection of INTEL PROSet/wireless tomanage wi-fi connection

=?Utf-8?B?UmFuZHk=?=

Just purchased new Dell D630 with Windows XP and an INTEL wireless adapter.
When I select the option to have Intel PROSet/wireless manage the wi-fi (in
place of Microsoft) this election is not maintained when I shut down the
computer and then start up again. I would be OK with Microsoft managing the
wi-fi connection except I can't get it to save my passkey in the profile for
my wireless network, which requires hand entering the code each time I want
to connect. There is a check box in the microsoft options that indicates
Microsoft should manage the connection which I unchecked, but it is checked
each time I start up. The sequence on startup is for INTEL to manage the
connection, but then Microsoft takes over. I can get connected but it should
not be this difficult.
--
I appreciate the assistance

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
If you want to use Windows Wireless Zero configuration then here is No point
letting the Intel Utility run too, it waste memory and creates conflicts.
You can keep the Intel Utility if you want to, but get it out of the
StartUp.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Randy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just purchased new Dell D630 with Windows XP and an INTEL wireless
> adapter.
> When I select the option to have Intel PROSet/wireless manage the wi-fi
> (in
> place of Microsoft) this election is not maintained when I shut down the
> computer and then start up again. I would be OK with Microsoft managing
> the
> wi-fi connection except I can't get it to save my passkey in the profile
> for
> my wireless network, which requires hand entering the code each time I
> want
> to connect. There is a check box in the microsoft options that indicates
> Microsoft should manage the connection which I unchecked, but it is
> checked
> each time I start up. The sequence on startup is for INTEL to manage the
> connection, but then Microsoft takes over. I can get connected but it
> should
> not be this difficult.
> --
> I appreciate the assistance

Pavel A.

"Randy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just purchased new Dell D630 with Windows XP and an INTEL wireless adapter.
> When I select the option to have Intel PROSet/wireless manage the wi-fi (in
> place of Microsoft) this election is not maintained when I shut down the
> computer and then start up again. I would be OK with Microsoft managing the
> wi-fi connection except I can't get it to save my passkey in the profile for
> my wireless network, which requires hand entering the code each time I want
> to connect. There is a check box in the microsoft options that indicates
> Microsoft should manage the connection which I unchecked, but it is checked
> each time I start up. The sequence on startup is for INTEL to manage the
> connection, but then Microsoft takes over. I can get connected but it should
> not be this difficult.
> --
> I appreciate the assistance

This is strange, the selection of PROset should be persistent...
Are you logged on as administrator?
When you shut down, is there any crash, blue screen, black screen etc.?
Anything relevant in the eventlog?

Regards,
--PA

=?Utf-8?B?UmFuZHk=?=

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> If you want to use Windows Wireless Zero configuration then here is No point
> letting the Intel Utility run too, it waste memory and creates conflicts.
> You can keep the Intel Utility if you want to, but get it out of the
> StartUp.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Randy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Just purchased new Dell D630 with Windows XP and an INTEL wireless
> > adapter.
> > When I select the option to have Intel PROSet/wireless manage the wi-fi
> > (in
> > place of Microsoft) this election is not maintained when I shut down the
> > computer and then start up again. I would be OK with Microsoft managing
> > the
> > wi-fi connection except I can't get it to save my passkey in the profile
> > for
> > my wireless network, which requires hand entering the code each time I
> > want
> > to connect. There is a check box in the microsoft options that indicates
> > Microsoft should manage the connection which I unchecked, but it is
> > checked
> > each time I start up. The sequence on startup is for INTEL to manage the
> > connection, but then Microsoft takes over. I can get connected but it
> > should
> > not be this difficult.
> > --
> > I appreciate the assistance

> I would use Microsoft but it does not seem to "remember" the passkey for the secure router and requires me to enter it each time.

=?Utf-8?B?UmFuZHk=?=