Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Session management

Session management

Antoninus Twink

I am writing a program using GTK+ 2. I'd like to register it with KDE's
session manager, ksmserver, so that it will start up once KDE is
restarted. How should I do that?

Thanks!

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Antoninus Twink <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I am writing a program using GTK+ 2. I'd like to register it with KDE's
>session manager, ksmserver, so that it will start up once KDE is
>restarted. How should I do that?

We don't know. If there is a KDE newsgroup or mailing list or web site,
they would probably know there. GTK and KDE and session managers
are not part of the C language, so we don't discuss them here.

Kenny McCormack

In article <f8fn1i$s1j$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Walter Roberson <(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:
>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Antoninus Twink <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>I am writing a program using GTK+ 2. I'd like to register it with KDE's
>>session manager, ksmserver, so that it will start up once KDE is
>>restarted. How should I do that?

>We don't know. If there is a KDE newsgroup or mailing list or web site,
>they would probably know there. GTK and KDE and session managers
>are not part of the C language, so we don't discuss them here.

IOW:

Off topic. Not portable. Cant discuss it here. Blah, blah, blah.

Useful clc-related links:
--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique

Malcolm McLean

"Kenny McCormack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f8fofj$tbu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <f8fn1i$s1j$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Walter Roberson <(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>Antoninus Twink <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>I am writing a program using GTK+ 2. I'd like to register it with KDE's
>>>session manager, ksmserver, so that it will start up once KDE is
>>>restarted. How should I do that?

>>We don't know. If there is a KDE newsgroup or mailing list or web site,
>>they would probably know there. GTK and KDE and session managers
>>are not part of the C language, so we don't discuss them here.

> IOW:
>
> Off topic. Not portable. Cant discuss it here. Blah, blah, blah.
>
> Useful clc-related links:
> --
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_programming_language

Obvious the Knome start-up sequence has got to be off-topic. It doesn't
matter what language you write your programs in, the method for launching
them at startup will be the same. And appropriate to discuss in a Linux
group.

GTK+ - well this needs to be off-topic as well. The reason is that there are
simply too many C libraries for GUIs, signals processing, graphics, etc to
reasonable handle them. If C were a little niche language matters would be
different.

Please don't post this cookie-cutter with Asperger's links to reasonable
off-topic redirections. Just let the thread die or, if you don't like the
tone of the redirection and really must, say you don't like the tone.

--
Free games and programming goodies.
http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm

Antoninus Twink

To give more detail: a KDE/QT program when it starts would somehow
communicate with the session manager to arrange for it's state to be
saved and it would be restarted if the session was closed then reopened.

For a GTK+ 2 program, what is the right API to communicate with the
session manager?

In other words, how to turn this psuedocode into actual code?

if(running_under_kde == True) // communicate with session manager
{
provide_sm_with_save_state_callback(ss); // ss is a fnuction pointer
provide_sm_with_load_state_callback(ls); // ls is a fnuction pointer
}

Thanks!

On 28 Jul 2007 at 15:23, Walter Roberson wrote:
> Antoninus Twink <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>I am writing a program using GTK+ 2. I'd like to register it with KDE's
>>session manager, ksmserver, so that it will start up once KDE is
>>restarted. How should I do that?

> We don't know. If there is a KDE newsgroup or mailing list or web site,
> they would probably know there. GTK and KDE and session managers
> are not part of the C language, so we don't discuss them here.

Kenny McCormack

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Antoninus Twink <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>To give more detail: a KDE/QT program when it starts would somehow
>communicate with the session manager to arrange for it's state to be
>saved and it would be restarted if the session was closed then reopened.
>
>For a GTK+ 2 program, what is the right API to communicate with the
>session manager?
>
>In other words, how to turn this psuedocode into actual code?
>
>if(running_under_kde == True) // communicate with session manager
>{
> provide_sm_with_save_state_callback(ss); // ss is a fnuction pointer
> provide_sm_with_load_state_callback(ls); // ls is a fnuction pointer
>}

It's still (and let me be the first of many to point this out):

Off topic. Not portable. Cant discuss it here. Blah, blah, blah.

Useful clc-related links:
--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_programming_language

Antoninus Twink

Look, what the hell is your problem? I don't have Asberger's, OK.

On 28 Jul 2007 at 18:16, Kenny McCormack wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Antoninus Twink <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>To give more detail: a KDE/QT program when it starts would somehow
>>communicate with the session manager to arrange for it's state to be
>>saved and it would be restarted if the session was closed then reopened.
>>
>>For a GTK+ 2 program, what is the right API to communicate with the
>>session manager?
>>
>>In other words, how to turn this psuedocode into actual code?
>>
>>if(running_under_kde == True) // communicate with session manager
>>{
>> provide_sm_with_save_state_callback(ss); // ss is a fnuction pointer
>> provide_sm_with_load_state_callback(ls); // ls is a fnuction pointer
>>}

> It's still (and let me be the first of many to point this out):
>
> Off topic. Not portable. Cant discuss it here. Blah, blah, blah.
>
> Useful clc-related links:

santosh

Antoninus Twink wrote:

> I am writing a program using GTK+ 2. I'd like to register it with KDE's
> session manager, ksmserver, so that it will start up once KDE is
> restarted. How should I do that?

We can't directly help you since this question is not topical. However try
the following links.

<http://www.linuxheadquarters.com/howto/programming/gtk_examples/index.shtml>
<http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/GTK+ProgrammingTips.html>
<http://developer.gnome.org/doc/tutorials/gnome-libs/gtk-programming.html>
<http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/>
<http://linux.omnipotent.net/article.php?article_id=12482&page=2>
<http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/vi....jsp?search_by
=gtk+fundamentals>

Also try these mailing lists:

You should also try the groups under <news:comp.os.unix.*> and
<news:comp.os.linux.*> hierarchies, perhaps like

Malcolm McLean

"Antoninus Twink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Look, what the hell is your problem? I don't have Asberger's, OK.

No. Kenny thinks that everyone who tries to enforce topicality has some sort
of personality problem. Apart from that little fobile basically he's a
constructive poster.

Unfortunately he's wrong. Personally I don't know (gnow?) anything about the
Knome GUI, but I'm sure there are some Linux buffs here who do. The problem
is that the newsgroup then becomes comp.everythingrelatedtoprogramming, and
there will be too many posts to read or maintain any sort of community. So
we redirect people to Linux groups. Your question has nothing to do with the
C language as such, and really precious little to do with the fact that your
program is written in C, though there might just be a C API that is a little
different from the facilities offered in other languages. clc isn't the
place for discussing this.

--
Free games and programming goodies.
http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Antoninus Twink <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Look, what the hell is your problem? I don't have Asberger's, OK.

Kenny is referring to the rest of us, the ones who are steadily
pointing out that your question is Not Relevant to comp.lang.c
and that you need to ask your question somewhere else.

comp.lang.c discusses the C programming language -- that is, the
language defined by the ANSI/ISO standards and ammending Technical
Reports. That language has no facilities for graphics or session
management or multiple processes or networking or any of a number
of other useful things: all of those facilities are considered
system-specific extensions.

This is not a newsgroup for programming "whatever can be programmed
in C, assuming implementation extensions to the language and
assuming various system-specific third-party libraries": this is
a newsgroup about the C language -without- system-specific extensions.
If you can't pick up your program and recompile it on (say) IBM MVS
then chances are that the program would not be considered topical here.

I've never used GTK or KDE; they aren't something that is part of C and
they would be of little relevance to my work. But less than two minutes
googling on the keywords of your question found
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/
which says that KDE uses the X11R6.4 Session Management Protocol (SM)
and points you to documentation on ftp.x.org . That link doesn't
actually work, but you should be able to find the needed information
on ftp.x.org somewhere.
--
All is vanity. -- Ecclesiastes