Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Session management

Session management

Kenny McCormack

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Antoninus Twink <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Look, what the hell is your problem? I don't have Asberger's, OK.

I never said you did.

Here's the deal. Although you have posted a perfectly reasonable C-related
question to a newsgroup called (gasp!) comp.lang.c, you will find out
very soon that nobody here ever discusses anything interesting relating
to C programming. About 75% of the traffic is endless meta-discussion
(such as this post); about 20% is nominally on-topic but trivial
(example: the thread about call-by-value, which is basic, basic C that
any textbook would cover) and about 5% language lawyering (which is
technically both on-topic and non-trivial, but, alas, only interesting
to about 6 people in the world).

So, everytime somebody posts something interesting (which, in the
terminology of the regulars here is pronounced "off topic"), it sets off
a feeding frenzy of the hardcores calling your post "off topic". As a
form of satire, I like to do my part, and try especially hard to be the
first in.

Finally, the wiki URLs are, IMHO, required reading for understanding the
whacky culture of this ng. Through the years, many have commented on
the amazing similarity between the observed psyches of the hardcores in
the NG and the symptoms described in the Asbergers article. We are, of
course, not psychiatrists, nor do we even claim to play them on the net,
but the similarity is nonetheless there. This does not, of course,
constitute a diagnosis.

Finally, let me advise you that you will find that the makeup of this
group can be summarized as:
1) About 6 (or so) hardcores
2) Another 6 (or so) HC sycophants
3) About 3 or 4 contrarians (also known as "trolls") - of which
I count myself a member.
4) An endless supply of newbies (presumably, the category in
which you fall)

Richard Heathfield

Malcolm McLean said:

> "Antoninus Twink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Look, what the hell is your problem? I don't have Asberger's, OK.
>>

> No. Kenny thinks that everyone who tries to enforce topicality has
> some sort of personality problem. Apart from that little fobile
> basically he's a constructive poster.

Really? You could have fooled me.

Email: -www. +rjh@

Keith Thompson

"Malcolm McLean" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> "Kenny McCormack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:f8fofj$tbu$(E-Mail Removed)...

[the usual crud]
> Please don't post this cookie-cutter with Asperger's links to
> reasonable off-topic redirections. Just let the thread die or, if you
> don't like the tone of the redirection and really must, say you don't
> like the tone.

Please don't feed the troll. I suggest simply ignoring him, using a
killfile if necessary. KM is obviously determined to continue
publicliy humiliating himself; helping him to do so is in poor taste.

Keith Thompson

Antoninus Twink <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Look, what the hell is your problem? I don't have Asberger's, OK.

[...]

Kenny McCormack is one of our resident trolls. Please ignore him.

Kenny McCormack

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Malcolm McLean said:
>

>> "Antoninus Twink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Look, what the hell is your problem? I don't have Asberger's, OK.
>>>

>> No. Kenny thinks that everyone who tries to enforce topicality has
>> some sort of personality problem. Apart from that little fobile
>> basically he's a constructive poster.

>Really? You could have fooled me.

That's not hard.

Malcolm McLean

"Kenny McCormack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f8g52n$cp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Finally, let me advise you that you will find that the makeup of this
> group can be summarized as:
> 1) About 6 (or so) hardcores
> 2) Another 6 (or so) HC sycophants
> 3) About 3 or 4 contrarians (also known as "trolls") - of which
> I count myself a member.
> 4) An endless supply of newbies (presumably, the category in
> which you fall)

Well I give up. I'm clearly not a 4, but which of 1, 2, 3 do I go in?

--
Free games and programming goodies.
http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm

Richard Heathfield

Malcolm McLean said:

> "Kenny McCormack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:f8g52n$cp$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Finally, let me advise you that you will find that the makeup of this
>> group can be summarized as:
>> 1) About 6 (or so) hardcores
>> 2) Another 6 (or so) HC sycophants
>> 3) About 3 or 4 contrarians (also known as "trolls") - of which
>> I count myself a member.
>> 4) An endless supply of newbies (presumably, the category in
>> which you fall)
>>

> Well I give up. I'm clearly not a 4, but which of 1, 2, 3 do I go in?

None of the above. Mr McCormack's summary, like most of what he posts,
is incorrect.

Email: -www. +rjh@

Kenny McCormack

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Malcolm McLean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Kenny McCormack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:f8g52n$cp$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Finally, let me advise you that you will find that the makeup of this
>> group can be summarized as:
>> 1) About 6 (or so) hardcores
>> 2) Another 6 (or so) HC sycophants
>> 3) About 3 or 4 contrarians (also known as "trolls") - of which
>> I count myself a member.
>> 4) An endless supply of newbies (presumably, the category in
>> which you fall)
>>

>Well I give up. I'm clearly not a 4, but which of 1, 2, 3 do I go in?

Agreed that you're not a 4.
Assuming that you don't subscribe to the lunacy of the hardcores (groups
1 and 2), I think we can accept you as a provisional member of our
group. Welcome aboard!

Based on your postings so far, this looks like a good placement.

Richard

(E-Mail Removed) (Kenny McCormack) writes:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Antoninus Twink <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Look, what the hell is your problem? I don't have Asberger's, OK.

> I never said you did.
>
> Here's the deal. Although you have posted a perfectly reasonable C-related
> question to a newsgroup called (gasp!) comp.lang.c, you will find out
> very soon that nobody here ever discusses anything interesting relating
> to C programming. About 75% of the traffic is endless meta-discussion
> (such as this post); about 20% is nominally on-topic but trivial
> (example: the thread about call-by-value, which is basic, basic C that
> any textbook would cover) and about 5% language lawyering (which is
> technically both on-topic and non-trivial, but, alas, only interesting
> to about 6 people in the world).
>
> So, everytime somebody posts something interesting (which, in the
> terminology of the regulars here is pronounced "off topic"), it sets off
> a feeding frenzy of the hardcores calling your post "off topic". As a
> form of satire, I like to do my part, and try especially hard to be the
> first in.
>
> Finally, the wiki URLs are, IMHO, required reading for understanding the
> whacky culture of this ng. Through the years, many have commented on
> the amazing similarity between the observed psyches of the hardcores in
> the NG and the symptoms described in the Asbergers article. We are, of
> course, not psychiatrists, nor do we even claim to play them on the net,
> but the similarity is nonetheless there. This does not, of course,
> constitute a diagnosis.
>
> Finally, let me advise you that you will find that the makeup of this
> group can be summarized as:
> 1) About 6 (or so) hardcores
> 2) Another 6 (or so) HC sycophants
> 3) About 3 or 4 contrarians (also known as "trolls") - of which
> I count myself a member.

members=members++?

> 4) An endless supply of newbies (presumably, the category in
> which you fall)

Richard

> Malcolm McLean said:
>

>> "Kenny McCormack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:f8g52n$cp$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Finally, let me advise you that you will find that the makeup of this
>>> group can be summarized as:
>>> 1) About 6 (or so) hardcores
>>> 2) Another 6 (or so) HC sycophants
>>> 3) About 3 or 4 contrarians (also known as "trolls") - of which
>>> I count myself a member.
>>> 4) An endless supply of newbies (presumably, the category in
>>> which you fall)
>>>

>> Well I give up. I'm clearly not a 4, but which of 1, 2, 3 do I go in?

> None of the above. Mr McCormack's summary, like most of what he posts,
> is incorrect.

Which part? It seemed like a reasonable assessment of this NG from where
I am sitting.

ps, Using a "debugger" which, I read in this NG , is unnecessary
"for any competent C programmer".