Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Weekend DC rebuild

Weekend DC rebuild

m0rk

what OS and method are you going to use for install?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Well this weekend I get to destroy (format) and rebuild our domain
| controller/print server. Who thinks I will f*** it up?
|
| I suppose the more I mess up, the longer it will take to rebuild, the longer
| it takes the more overtime pay I get....hmmmmmm

Rowdy Yates

"James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Well this weekend I get to destroy (format) and rebuild our domain
> controller/print server. Who thinks I will f*** it up?
>
> I suppose the more I mess up, the longer it will take to rebuild, the
> longer it takes the more overtime pay I get....hmmmmmm

you go goy. go goya. go! go!

Rowdy Yates, MCNGP #39
http://www.mcngp.com/
--
"Hate perfectly describes my feelings. I loathe you. I detest you. I think
CBIC, circa 2005

=?Utf-8?B?VGFseW4=?=

My boss messed up our domain couple of years ago doing the same thing your
getting ready to do. They ended up bringing me on board to fix everything.
six months ago I redid the entire domain. basically spent 8 hours getting
everything just right. Two weeks later the IT Committee asked when I was
going to do that. I don't know whats worse. Having lusers that don't relize
that the fact they had to change passwords one morning and are now on a
different domain. Or having a management group that doesn't think you have
done a thing in months but some how everything seems to be running better.

"James" wrote:

> well I've been here for 2 years now and haven't messed anything up yet
>
> "m0rk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:12IWe.5711$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > how much more of a negative experience are they in for now?
> >

> > nanu nanu
> >
> > "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > | They tried outsourcing before they hired me and had a really negative
> > | experience with it
> > |
> > | "MitchS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > | news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Manny Borges

You are rebuilding the domain. How is that not messing anything up?

Actually doing a domain rebuild from scratch is the first sign of a bad IT
dept.

--
Manny Borges
MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
-- Marty Feldman
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> well I've been here for 2 years now and haven't messed anything up yet
>
> "m0rk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:12IWe.5711$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> how much more of a negative experience are they in for now?
>>

>> nanu nanu
>>
>> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> | They tried outsourcing before they hired me and had a really negative
>> | experience with it
>> |
>> | "MitchS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> | news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> the

Jamco

well whoever setup the computer in the first place made the windows partion
too small, how would you suggest fixing this?

"Manny Borges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You are rebuilding the domain. How is that not messing anything up?
>
> Actually doing a domain rebuild from scratch is the first sign of a bad IT
> dept.
>
> --
> Manny Borges
> MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)
> MCT, Certified Cheese Master
>
> The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
> -- Marty Feldman
> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> well I've been here for 2 years now and haven't messed anything up yet
>>
>> "m0rk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:12IWe.5711$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> how much more of a negative experience are they in for now?
>>>

>>> nanu nanu
>>>
>>> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> the

Jamco

well I'm just rebuilding a domain controller, just will take off all of its
roles, demote it, format, reinstall windows 2000 server, promote it to a DC
and add all its roles back.

"m0rk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jeIWe.7916$(E-Mail Removed)...
> what OS and method are you going to use for install?
>
> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | Well this weekend I get to destroy (format) and rebuild our domain
> | controller/print server. Who thinks I will f*** it up?
> |
> | I suppose the more I mess up, the longer it will take to rebuild, the
> longer
> | it takes the more overtime pay I get....hmmmmmm

Kurt

Is it a RAID? If by chance it's a single drive, get a new one, create
partitions of the size you need, and ghost partition-to-partition.

.....kurt

"Jamco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> well whoever setup the computer in the first place made the windows
> partion too small, how would you suggest fixing this?
>
> "Manny Borges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You are rebuilding the domain. How is that not messing anything up?
>>
>> Actually doing a domain rebuild from scratch is the first sign of a bad
>> IT dept.
>>
>> --
>> Manny Borges
>> MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)
>> MCT, Certified Cheese Master
>>
>> The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write
>> with.
>> -- Marty Feldman
>> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> well I've been here for 2 years now and haven't messed anything up yet
>>>

>>> "m0rk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:12IWe.5711$(E-Mail Removed)...

Kurt

You have a second DC?
"Jamco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> well I'm just rebuilding a domain controller, just will take off all of
> its roles, demote it, format, reinstall windows 2000 server, promote it to
> a DC and add all its roles back.
>
> "m0rk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jeIWe.7916$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> what OS and method are you going to use for install?
>>
>> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> | Well this weekend I get to destroy (format) and rebuild our domain
>> | controller/print server. Who thinks I will f*** it up?
>> |
>> | I suppose the more I mess up, the longer it will take to rebuild, the
>> longer
>> | it takes the more overtime pay I get....hmmmmmm

Jamco

its raid 5

"Kurt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Is it a RAID? If by chance it's a single drive, get a new one, create
> partitions of the size you need, and ghost partition-to-partition.
>
> ....kurt
>
> "Jamco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> well whoever setup the computer in the first place made the windows
>> partion too small, how would you suggest fixing this?
>>
>> "Manny Borges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> You are rebuilding the domain. How is that not messing anything up?
>>>
>>> Actually doing a domain rebuild from scratch is the first sign of a bad
>>> IT dept.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Manny Borges
>>> MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)
>>> MCT, Certified Cheese Master
>>>
>>> The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write
>>> with.
>>> -- Marty Feldman
>>> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Jamco

yup