Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > COMPILER

COMPILER

Al Balmer

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 15:35:21 +0200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> newsgroup. That too, is a tool of sorts thought to be of interest to C
>> programmers.

>But of course that's not OT because the core element here are enjoying
>savaging it.

I haven't seen that. I've seen people discussing the deficiencies of
the *C code* in the book, which is clearly topical here. The book
itself is about algorithms, not language. I've seen little discussion
of the algorithms, which would not be topical.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

Al Balmer

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 14:56:40 +0000, Richard Heathfield
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Richard said:
>
><snip>
>
>> How can debunking be ok but singing the praises not be?

>If the product were any good, its proponents would not be driven to
>spamming techie newsgroups in a desperate attempt to drum up custom.

Now, that's not a nice thing to say about Richard

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

Richard

Al Balmer <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 15:35:21 +0200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> newsgroup. That too, is a tool of sorts thought to be of interest to C
>>> programmers.

>>But of course that's not OT because the core element here are enjoying
>>savaging it.

> I haven't seen that. I've seen people discussing the deficiencies of
> the *C code* in the book, which is clearly topical here. The book
> itself is about algorithms, not language. I've seen little discussion
> of the algorithms, which would not be topical.

I think someone posted a list of "definitions" for certain posters. I
guess you would call me a troll, but really, I am not - I'm just someone
who feels that this has become one of the most knee jerk, obnoxious and
unnecessarily rude groups on Usenet. Today's little "Undefined
behaviour" thread is a prime example.

The comments on the book are varied. Yes you are right, many are about
the C code. Many are also savaging the structure (OT) and the algorithms
(OT) themselves. It is not one rule for some and one rule for others. If
the core element here can wade off topic, then I think it's only fair
that the same people show a little understanding in new posters and
others doing much the same in order to help and cajole someone in the
right direction.

Kenny McCormack

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I think someone posted a list of "definitions" for certain posters. I
>guess you would call me a troll, but really, I am not - I'm just someone
>who feels that this has become one of the most knee jerk, obnoxious and
>unnecessarily rude groups on Usenet. Today's little "Undefined
>behaviour" thread is a prime example.

That someone would be me. And, we are now insisting on being called
"contrarians". We no longer respond to the "T word".

John Smith

Richard wrote:
> John Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

>>santosh wrote:

>>>I take responsibility for what I post. I have not got "worked up" by "the
>>>core elements", whatever that means.

>>Of course, anonymity is always an option on Usenet, but many of the
>>"core element" happily identify themselves. Why don't you?
>>
>>JS

> For the same reason many people don't. That Usenet is full of Kooks who
> take Usenet into the real world?
>
> Of course, being called "John Smith" you're fairly prolific enough not to
> be singled out ....

I think the word you're looking for is along the lines of
abundant, numerous, prevalent, etc. You have no way of knowing
whether I am prolific or not.

JS