Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > EventLogWebEventProvider

EventLogWebEventProvider

Max2006

Hi,

Can I have EventLogWebEventProvider published event log entries as error
with red icon? (it publishes them as warning with yellow icons by default)

I also like EventLogWebEventProvider to publish entries to a separated
category node within event viewer's left hand side group tree. (It uses
application group by default) Is that possible?

Thank you,
Max

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Max,

Regarding on the EventLogWebEventProvider, I have performed some
investigation on it and it seems the underlying EventLog writing code is
encapsulated in a unamanged API (called in EventLogWebEventProvider through
PInvoke). e.g.

=====the code from reflector=========
}
}
int num = UnsafeNativeMethods.RaiseEventlogEvent((int) type, (string[])
dataFields.ToArray(typeof(string)), dataFields.Count);
if (num != 0)
{
throw new HttpException(SR.GetString("Event_log_provider_err or",
new object[] { "0x" + num.ToString("X8", CultureInfo.InstalledUICulture)
}));
}
}
====================

So far I'm afraid the built-in properties can not customize this behavior.
If you do need to change the output eventlog entry's level, I think one
possible approach is writing a custom EventLogProvider and call your own
unmanaged API to write EventLog.

#How to write to an event log by using Visual C#
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307024

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/k00ce235.aspx

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Max,

Do you have any further questions on this thread? If so, please feel free
to post here.