Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Drop Your Camera In The Ocean And Get $500!!!

Drop Your Camera In The Ocean And Get $500!!!

Matt Clara

"G.T." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Paul Furman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:SqBqi.41532$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>> G.T. wrote:

>>> What if you're not paying with a credit card?

>> That's not paypal AFAIK, you can always use Western Union (no recourse).

> Actually, Paypal's preferred method of funding is direct from your bank
> account. And I believe the confirmed address means that you've gone
> through the process of them making two small deposits in your bank account
> to verify related account info. In fact, they highly discourage people
> from using credit cards with Paypal.
>
> Greg

Unless it's the PayPal credit card, of course...

--
www.mattclara.com

William Graham

"G.T." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "William Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>
>> "G.T." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Paul Furman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:M%yqi.46203$(E-Mail Removed). net...

>>> What if you're not paying with a credit card?
>>>

>> If you sign up with Paypal, you will have to give them either a credit or
>> a debit card number, and they will give you a user name and a
>> keyword.....From then on, you will be able to buy stuff on eBay (and lots
>> of other places) and Paypal will pay for it and bill your card number.

> It was a rhetorical question. See my last post.
>
> Greg

People use the words, "confirmed" and "secure" and "safe" like they use
"good" and "bad". - As if they were absolutes, rather than relative terms.

Kinon O'Cann

Speaks volums of the stupidity of the buyer, doesn't it? What parts are
still good? Who would buy crap like that without a complete teardown? Does
this explain why "Nikon Plastic" is so expensive? For the same reason that
people pay hugely inflated prices for harley-Davidson motorcycles?

Sheesh...

"Rita ─ Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> At least for the lens if it is a Nikon. It just goes to show you that the
> old Nikkors, even DX lenses, hold their value.
>
> <http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ290141483684>
>

> Rita

G.T.

Rita ─ Berkowitz wrote:
> G.T. wrote:
>
>>> That's not paypal AFAIK, you can always use Western Union (no
>>> recourse).

>> Actually, Paypal's preferred method of funding is direct from your
>> bank account. And I believe the confirmed address means that you've
>> gone through the process of them making two small deposits in your
>> bank account to verify related account info. In fact, they highly
>> discourage people from using credit cards with Paypal.

> PayPal does not like its users paying with a CC because they will be the
> ones holding the bag when the buyer does a chargeback for not getting the
> merchandise they paid for. This is why it is totally and utterly foolish
> and breaks every terrestrial and celestial boundary of stupidity to pay for
> any on-line transaction with anything other than a CC or a CC funded PayPal
> payment. Using any other mode of payment is just like wrapping cash in an
> envelope and sending it to a total stranger.

Damn, I agree with you.

Greg
--
The ticketbastard Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

Kinon O'Cann wrote:

> Speaks volums of the stupidity of the buyer, doesn't it? What parts
> are still good? Who would buy crap like that without a complete
> teardown? Does this explain why "Nikon Plastic" is so expensive? For
> the same reason that people pay hugely inflated prices for
> harley-Davidson motorcycles?
> Sheesh...

Hey, the way I look at it is if the stupid's money is still green I don't
argue with them. I love em stupid. You simply can't compare a Harley to a
Nikkor because anyone that buys a Harley is buying a status symbol and
expects to get junk. The Nikkor is a piece of precision optical equipment
that set the standard for all other manufacturers to try to emulate. I do
agree that a DX lens is the "Harley" in the pack and you expect to get junk.
It's still good to see that even crappy flooded out DX lenses commands a
decent price.

Rita

William Graham

"G.T." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rita ─ Berkowitz wrote:

>>> Actually, Paypal's preferred method of funding is direct from your
>>> bank account. And I believe the confirmed address means that you've
>>> gone through the process of them making two small deposits in your
>>> bank account to verify related account info. In fact, they highly
>>> discourage people from using credit cards with Paypal.

>> PayPal does not like its users paying with a CC because they will be the
>> ones holding the bag when the buyer does a chargeback for not getting the
>> merchandise they paid for. This is why it is totally and utterly foolish
>> and breaks every terrestrial and celestial boundary of stupidity to pay
>> for
>> any on-line transaction with anything other than a CC or a CC funded
>> PayPal
>> payment. Using any other mode of payment is just like wrapping cash in
>> an
>> envelope and sending it to a total stranger.

This is true if you are buying from total strangers, such as most eBay
purchases....However, if you buy from reputable dealers with whom you have
previous experience, then credit cards can be very handy.....Especially if
you are buying brand new merchandise.....For example, I buy sheet music and
music books new from Amazon.com using my VISA card, and have never had a
problem.....I also buy used lenses from KEH using my VISA.....A little more
risky perhaps, but I have never had any problem there either.

Jer

G.T. wrote:
> "Paul Furman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:SqBqi.41532$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>> G.T. wrote:

>>> What if you're not paying with a credit card?

>> That's not paypal AFAIK, you can always use Western Union (no recourse).

> Actually, Paypal's preferred method of funding is direct from your bank
> account. And I believe the confirmed address means that you've gone through
> the process of them making two small deposits in your bank account to verify
> related account info. In fact, they highly discourage people from using
> credit cards with Paypal.
>
> Greg

Agreed. My PP account is backed by a bank account with a $0 balance
until I choose to purchase something, shipping goes to a U.S. mail drop.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Jer

Kinon O'Cann wrote:
> Speaks volums of the stupidity of the buyer, doesn't it? What parts are
> still good? Who would buy crap like that without a complete teardown? Does
> this explain why "Nikon Plastic" is so expensive? For the same reason that
> people pay hugely inflated prices for harley-Davidson motorcycles?

No, not the cheapest wheels, but I still drive my '95 FLHTCUI when I'm
stateside. Bought new, still runs like it. I call it my two-wheel
Timex with a ho-lotta chrome.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

D.M. Procida

Rita ─ Berkowitz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> PayPal does not like its users paying with a CC because they will be the
> ones holding the bag when the buyer does a chargeback for not getting the
> merchandise they paid for. This is why it is totally and utterly foolish
> and breaks every terrestrial and celestial boundary of stupidity to pay for
> any on-line transaction with anything other than a CC or a CC funded PayPal
> payment. Using any other mode of payment is just like wrapping cash in an
> envelope and sending it to a total stranger.

I've done that several times. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Daniele

The Bobert

In article
<1i20zpn.1ta27te1hjqs4sN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (D.M. Procida) wrote:

> Using any other mode of payment is just like wrapping cash in an
> > envelope and sending it to a total stranger.

> I've done that several times. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
>
> Daniele

How about sending me $6,234 in bills of low denomination, (nothing over
$20) wrapped in a plain brown envelope, delivered by a brown shoed square
in the dead of night.

I'll be waiting breathlessly on the corner of 4th and 20th.
--
*Do witches run spell checkers?

Bob in Central California