Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Default font Wordpad

Default font Wordpad

Andrew Chapman

I can't work out how to change the default font in Wordpad (Windows XP).
I think I have looked in the most obvious places. Can you help?

Thanks,

Andrwe

Evan Platt

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 18:03:32 +0100, Andrew Chapman
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I can't work out how to change the default font in Wordpad (Windows XP).
>I think I have looked in the most obvious places. Can you help?

Basically you can't.

You can create a file as a template, then open that template each
time, then just make sure to Save As a new file name.

Or use OpenOffice. It's free. And better.

Vanguard

"Andrew Chapman" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I can't work out how to change the default font in Wordpad (Windows
> XP). I think I have looked in the most obvious places. Can you help?

Um, how about using the Format toolbar? If you don't see it, look under
the View menu.

Evan Platt

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 12:47:19 -0500, "Vanguard"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Um, how about using the Format toolbar? If you don't see it, look under
>the View menu.

I understood the OP's question to be the DEFAULT font, ie the font
that wordpad uses when you open Wordpad, which defaults to Ariel.

Vanguard

"Evan Platt" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Vanguard" wrote:
>>
>> Um, how about using the Format toolbar? If you don't see it, look
>> under
>> the View menu.

> I understood the OP's question to be the DEFAULT font, ie the font
> that wordpad uses when you open Wordpad, which defaults to Ariel.

Which is also a font included by default in all installation of Windows
so it is guaranteed that someone ELSE reading your document can actually
read it as it was written.

I know of no registry setting that specifies what default font gets
selected when Wordpad is first opened. But me not knowing of such a
registry item doesn't mean there isn't one. I know that wordpad.exe
will accept a command-line argument that specifies what file to open,
but I haven't seen a command-line switch or argument to change the
default font.

The best "cheat" that I can think of is:
- Open Wordpad.
- In the blank document pane, select the font you want as the
pseudo-default.
- Hit the Enter key to force one blank line to be entered into the
document.
- Save the file, say, as WordPad.wri.
- Use that file or a shortcut to it as your replacement for Wordpad.
- The "template" file opens and the cursor is positioned at the head of
the document on that blank line that uses the font that you selected.

Vanguard

"Vanguard" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> The best "cheat" that I can think of is:
> - Open Wordpad.
> - In the blank document pane, select the font you want as the
> pseudo-default.
> - Hit the Enter key to force one blank line to be entered into the
> document.
> - Save the file, say, as WordPad.wri.
> - Use that file or a shortcut to it as your replacement for Wordpad.
> - The "template" file opens and the cursor is positioned at the head
> of the document on that blank line that uses the font that you
> selected.

Oops, actually you need a blank line. When Wordpad is open with a blank
document, double-click on the document pane to select the entire
document. The cursor will change from a thin to thick vertical bar
noting everything is selected (which is really just the insert point).
Then change the font and save that file to use a template to open
Wordpad.

Andrew Chapman

Vanguard wrote:
> "Vanguard" wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>
>> The best "cheat" that I can think of is:
>> - Open Wordpad.
>> - In the blank document pane, select the font you want as the
>> pseudo-default.
>> - Hit the Enter key to force one blank line to be entered into the
>> document.
>> - Save the file, say, as WordPad.wri.
>> - Use that file or a shortcut to it as your replacement for Wordpad.
>> - The "template" file opens and the cursor is positioned at the head
>> of the document on that blank line that uses the font that you selected.

> Oops, actually you need a blank line. When Wordpad is open with a blank
> document, double-click on the document pane to select the entire
> document. The cursor will change from a thin to thick vertical bar
> noting everything is selected (which is really just the insert point).
> Then change the font and save that file to use a template to open Wordpad.

Great, thanks. I've put a shortcut to the file on the bar at the bottom
of the screen - whatever that's called.

I do use Open Office for longer documents but it's slow to open for
something quick.

Regards,

Andrew

Re: Write Chinese in Wordpad Luigi Donatello Asero HTML 11 09-26-2005 01:54 PM
Re: Write Chinese in Wordpad Luigi Donatello Asero HTML 0 09-25-2005 11:39 PM
Re: Wordpad Shel-hed Computer Support 1 07-10-2003 11:59 PM
Re: Wordpad Merlin Computer Support 3 07-10-2003 11:26 PM

Advertisments