Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > The chart of comp.lang.c

Reply
Thread Tools

The chart of comp.lang.c

 
 
Al Balmer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2007
On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 18:02:33 -0000, Ed Jensen <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>What does it matter if comp.lang.c goes down the crapper as long as
>you have comp.lang.c.moderated?


You've never actually participated in that group, have you? Try it for
a while.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Al Balmer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2007
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 16:47:20 +0200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If the newsgroup was dedicated to
>working environments and he DID do his work in his car, would you send
>him to a car NG instead as he extolled the virtues of the fold down
>seats, built in 19" monitor, keyboard tray and wireless antenna?


Irrelevant. This newsgroup is *not* dedicated to work environments,
such as IDEs, monitors, computers, task chairs, etc. If you want a
group about programming work environments, find one or start one.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2007
Al Balmer <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 16:47:20 +0200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> If the newsgroup was dedicated to
>>working environments and he DID do his work in his car, would you send
>>him to a car NG instead as he extolled the virtues of the fold down
>>seats, built in 19" monitor, keyboard tray and wireless antenna?

>
> Irrelevant. This newsgroup is *not* dedicated to work environments,
> such as IDEs, monitors, computers, task chairs, etc. If you want a
> group about programming work environments, find one or start one.


And again my point goes totally over a regulars head.

Here's another option : rather than savage some polite nOOb looking for
C programmers opinions in this NG, *you* ignore or kill the thread, and
I, and a heap of others, will offer advice on where to go and what to
consider when choosing an IDE to support his C programming. It'll all
stay in one thread and will probably result in LESS replies than when
the regulars here embark on a feeding frenzy of posturing and shouting
"OT" to some unfortunate.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Kenny McCormack
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Al Balmer <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 16:47:20 +0200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> If the newsgroup was dedicated to
>>>working environments and he DID do his work in his car, would you send
>>>him to a car NG instead as he extolled the virtues of the fold down
>>>seats, built in 19" monitor, keyboard tray and wireless antenna?

>>
>> Irrelevant. This newsgroup is *not* dedicated to work environments,
>> such as IDEs, monitors, computers, task chairs, etc. If you want a
>> group about programming work environments, find one or start one.

>
>And again my point goes totally over a regulars head.
>
>Here's another option : rather than savage some polite nOOb looking for
>C programmers opinions in this NG, *you* ignore or kill the thread, and
>I, and a heap of others, will offer advice on where to go and what to
>consider when choosing an IDE to support his C programming. It'll all
>stay in one thread and will probably result in LESS replies than when
>the regulars here embark on a feeding frenzy of posturing and shouting
>"OT" to some unfortunate.


What this all boils down to is that if you (rhetorical you, but "you"
know who I am talking about) can't learn to ignore the things in life
that don't affect you, then you are going to have a rough life. There's
just too much noise in the world, and you can't fix everything. For the
most part, you can't fix anything, and you have to learn to ignore it.

The HCs will quibble with this, but deep down, you know I'm right.

I'm reminded of this every day, when I observe the world. The
princesses (great turn of phrase, that!) in here just wouldn't stand a
day out there.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Al Balmer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2007
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 18:08:17 +0200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Al Balmer <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 16:47:20 +0200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> If the newsgroup was dedicated to
>>>working environments and he DID do his work in his car, would you send
>>>him to a car NG instead as he extolled the virtues of the fold down
>>>seats, built in 19" monitor, keyboard tray and wireless antenna?

>>
>> Irrelevant. This newsgroup is *not* dedicated to work environments,
>> such as IDEs, monitors, computers, task chairs, etc. If you want a
>> group about programming work environments, find one or start one.

>
>And again my point goes totally over a regulars head.


Hardly. You postulated a newsgroup dedicated to working environments,
then described a post regarding working environments. Not at all the
same as discussing working environments in a group dedicated to the C
language. It seems, rather, that my point went over your head.
>
>Here's another option : rather than savage some polite nOOb looking for
>C programmers opinions in this NG,


Polite noobs asking off-topic questions are not usually "savaged" in
this newsgroup. Rather, they are usually informed that they are
off-topic, and usually get suggestions about where to post. The
"savaging" come in when trolls like you object to this, claiming that
all computer, programming, and any other vaguely associated subjects
are fit subjects for discussion in this group.

In fact, you do newbies a disservice by answering off-topic questions
here rather than directing them to a venue where you might be
contradicted or corrected.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed Jensen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2007
Al Balmer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This morning, I downloaded over 400 messages which were posted since
> Friday afternoon. That, of course, does not include the few posters
> that I've killfiled, or the threads I've marked ignore. comp.lang.c
> get quite enough traffic, thank you. We *really* don't need to
> encourage off-topic posts.


The number of articles posted has jumped sharply ever since the
****ing contest got rolling.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rui Maciel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2007
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 21:09:01 +0200, Richard wrote:

> Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:


> That statement is total rubbish of course. Talking about C IDE is
> talking about C. Whichever way you want to cut it.


You seem to be a bit confused. An integrated development environment is a
tool that helps writing code. It is not a language.

As with all other tools used to help write software, although many
programmers use IDEs and therefore may have knowledge and some insight
about the tool, that does not mean that the integrated development
environment is the programming language or that the programming language
is the development environment, not even in those IDEs which try to tie
down and blur those concepts.

So obviously no. Talking about IDEs that can be used to write C code is
not talking about C. And never was.


> You seem to think
> that the NG would crumble into a pile of doggy doo just because some
> experienced programmers might offer some advice on an IDE to a C nOOb. I
> think you might need to get out more. As I said, this is a good resource
> for experienced programmers. It doesn't kill anyone to tolerate the odd
> thread about C support whether platform specific or not.


No one is advocating intolerance. On the other hand, emphasis must be
given to topicality, not only to reduce the so called "signal to noise
ratio" but also to offer a better service to those who would like to clear
whatever doubt they may have or even learn a bit more on a particular
subject. Once that emphasis ceases to exist and the set of accepted
topics widens indefinitely, I do not know where and how the group will
manage to stay relevant.


Rui Maciel
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rui Maciel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2007
On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 19:46:53 +0100, Malcolm McLean wrote:

> "What colour is best for displaying C source?" is a C question. It is not
> about the language standard, except in so far as it might influence our
> colouring decisions, but it is certainly not a platform-specific matter.
> Flashing indigo is distracting but the underscore is not?


You seem to be a bit confused. Font colours, or even font types for that
matter, have absolutely nothing to do with any programming languages, let
alone C. It isn't a matter of being a part of the language standard. It's
simply a matter of having absolutely nothing to do with the language.

On the other hand, people who frequently write code may have some
experience and opinions regarding that subject. Nonetheless, that doesn't
mean that a newsgroup dedicated to the discussion about a programming
language should also be used to discuss issues that, as luck would have it,
some people who happen to have an interest about that particular
programming language also have some experience or even opinion about.

I believe that that confusion is the main source of off-topic posts. "C is
a programming language. KDE programs are also written in a programming
language, as operating systems. C programmers also use IDEs and
some tweak their fonts. Therefore that newsgroup is the perfect place to
ask about operating systems that run KDE and support IDEs that enable the
user to tweak the IDE's fonts." Then people get offended when their
off-topic post gets redirected. Go figure.


Rui Maciel
 
Reply With Quote
 
Malcolm McLean
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2007

"Al Balmer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 19:46:53 +0100, "Malcolm McLean"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>
>>"Kelsey Bjarnason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> However "Personally I believe in flashing indigo for size_t,
>>>> why MacroHard's C++Latte IDE implements just that and productivity is
>>>> +50%" would be acceptable.
>>>
>>> Should be *green*, not indigo, and not flashing; that's simply
>>> distracting. (Hmm, what, exactly, does this have to do with C, again?)
>>>

>>"What colour is best for displaying C source?" is a C question.

>
> Huh? What color to paint my house is a carpentry question, I suppose.
>

What colours to use for the various wires is an electrical engineering
question.
Nothing inherently to do with electricity, of course, but a useful
convention.

--
Free games and programming goodies.
http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm

 
Reply With Quote
 
Al Balmer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2007
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 21:40:34 +0100, "Malcolm McLean"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>"Al Balmer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 19:46:53 +0100, "Malcolm McLean"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>"Kelsey Bjarnason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>> However "Personally I believe in flashing indigo for size_t,
>>>>> why MacroHard's C++Latte IDE implements just that and productivity is
>>>>> +50%" would be acceptable.
>>>>
>>>> Should be *green*, not indigo, and not flashing; that's simply
>>>> distracting. (Hmm, what, exactly, does this have to do with C, again?)
>>>>
>>>"What colour is best for displaying C source?" is a C question.

>>
>> Huh? What color to paint my house is a carpentry question, I suppose.
>>

>What colours to use for the various wires is an electrical engineering
>question.
>Nothing inherently to do with electricity, of course, but a useful
>convention.


But it's still not an electrical engineering question. The electrons
don't care what color the sheath is, any more than your compiler cares
what editor you used.

There's no similar convention for C, because it's not needed. Syntax
coloring can be useful as a parsing aid, but there's no need for it to
be standardized. I can identify a function without it being colored,
but can't tell a hot wire from a ground just by looking at it.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help adding a chart in VB.NET =?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljaw==?= ASP .Net 2 04-18-2008 07:55 AM
A real challenge: Create a Gantt-chart-like chart gnewsgroup ASP .Net 4 02-06-2008 02:27 PM
ASP can generate a chart (pie chart) ? Tarek ASP General 6 11-19-2004 06:33 PM
Protocol Chart - Learn how to use a Protocol Analyzer news.comcast.giganews.com Wireless Networking 0 08-21-2004 04:35 PM
Re: hierarchy chart Alan Pretre ASP .Net 0 07-25-2003 02:51 PM



Advertisments