Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > VS & IIS alternative?

Reply
Thread Tools

VS & IIS alternative?

 
 
xz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2007
I'm looking for a toolset to do basic web-dev w/ some easy if-then
type encapsulated biz logic that hits a db - even Access. Can't use
VS because IIS isn't an option... and the tool wont even install on
the machine. Any alternative tools that have at least a decent GUI
environment. I know I may be asking in the wrong ng, but I figured
I'd ask.

thanks!
xxz

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ThunderMusic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2007
hi,
what are your requirements? you say you can't install VS, is it because
you're not on Windows? the machine you're on is not powerful enough? if so,
what is the machine specs? it could help to find something suitable...

There are express editions for each language but I think you can't do any
web dev with it... but I'm not sure...
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/ex...p/default.aspx

I hope it helps

ThunderMusic

"xz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I'm looking for a toolset to do basic web-dev w/ some easy if-then
> type encapsulated biz logic that hits a db - even Access. Can't use
> VS because IIS isn't an option... and the tool wont even install on
> the machine. Any alternative tools that have at least a decent GUI
> environment. I know I may be asking in the wrong ng, but I figured
> I'd ask.
>
> thanks!
> xxz
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark Fitzpatrick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2007
VS 2005 does have a built-in test web server actually. I'm not sure if
Visual Web Developer Express comes with it as well, but it's worth a try:
http://www.asp.net/downloads/essential.aspx?tabid=62

Most of the other tools would still require a test web server of some sort
to be able to view what you'd written so VS may be your best bet.

--
Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft FrontPage MVP 199?-2006. 2007 and beyond

"xz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I'm looking for a toolset to do basic web-dev w/ some easy if-then
> type encapsulated biz logic that hits a db - even Access. Can't use
> VS because IIS isn't an option... and the tool wont even install on
> the machine. Any alternative tools that have at least a decent GUI
> environment. I know I may be asking in the wrong ng, but I figured
> I'd ask.
>
> thanks!
> xxz
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
xz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-27-2007
IIS seems to be blocked at work (don't ask) on this test box. I've
got Cassini. Apache could be a possibility, haven't tried.
For whatever reason VS won't install, so I'm looking for alternative
places to write some test business logic and get a couple pages up and
running. I have Access but don't want to be writing spaghetti inside
vb-modules


 
Reply With Quote
 
Patrice
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2007
This is just text so any text editor would provide at least basic
capabilities.

That said my personal preference would be likely to find out why VS (which
version, on which OS are you trying to install) doesn't install possibly
asking to your system administrators...

--
Patrice

"xz" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
(E-Mail Removed) m...
> IIS seems to be blocked at work (don't ask) on this test box. I've
> got Cassini. Apache could be a possibility, haven't tried.
> For whatever reason VS won't install, so I'm looking for alternative
> places to write some test business logic and get a couple pages up and
> running. I have Access but don't want to be writing spaghetti inside
> vb-modules
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IIS 6 vs IIS 5 ASP.NET Performance Issues JMaelstrom ASP .Net 2 04-30-2010 04:32 PM
IIS 6.0 win2003, IIS users moe_rodrigue MCSE 1 04-01-2004 07:37 AM
IIS 6.0 vs IIS 5.1 Hai Nguyen ASP .Net 1 03-02-2004 06:22 AM
ASP.NET application works in IIS PWS, but not in remote IIS. Matthew Louden ASP .Net 3 11-07-2003 09:58 PM
.NET IIS to IIS credentials problem... Grind Boy ASP .Net 4 08-14-2003 12:59 PM



Advertisments