Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Installing NTSC on win 2K?

Installing NTSC on win 2K?

Tom Tricep

Hello Good People:

I have win 2k with fat 32. My puter guy set it up that way for some
reason eons ago, or at least 2 years ago. My office software has
morphed, so I can go to NTSC and win xp if need be. I need NTSC cause
I can't convert files over 4gig with fat 32.

1. Can I install NTSC on my win2K or must I go to and install xp?

2. Do most programs work with xp that have worked with win 2K? I know
that's a tough question.

3. Can you use an xp disc on more than one computer if only one is
connected to the internet? I am the only user. Puter "B" is not
networked.

3. I do office work, my programs are relatively primitive that I run.
I do download and run DVD's, hence my problem.

Thanks in advance. You guys and gals rock!

Tom Tricep

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Tom Tricep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have win 2k with fat 32. My puter guy set it up that way for some
>reason eons ago, or at least 2 years ago. My office software has
>morphed, so I can go to NTSC and win xp if need be. I need NTSC cause
>I can't convert files over 4gig with fat 32.

That's NTFS

>1. Can I install NTSC on my win2K or must I go to and install xp?

NTFS, Yes

Start | Run <type in>
cmd /k convert /?
<enter>

Will just show info on the command, this will not do anything to your
drives.
--
Fourth grade math genius calculates
a high probability of getting beat up

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Tom Tricep wrote:

> Hello Good People:

G'day.

> I have win 2k with fat 32. My puter guy set it up that way for some
> reason eons ago, or at least 2 years ago. My office software has
> morphed, so I can go to NTSC and win xp if need be. I need NTSC cause
> I can't convert files over 4gig with fat 32.

Which of these applies to your statement?
http://www.acronymattic.com/results.aspx?q=NTSC

> 1. Can I install NTSC on my win2K or must I go to and install xp?

Let's first find out what NTSC is.

> 2. Do most programs work with xp that have worked with win 2K? I know
> that's a tough question.

Many, if not most, will work with both versions of the OS.

> 3. Can you use an xp disc on more than one computer if only one is
> connected to the internet? I am the only user. Puter "B" is not
> networked.

You mean you want to move the hard disc (drive) from one to another?

XP may check your hardware, think it is on a new computer than the one
it was registered on, and require you to re-authenticate with Microsoft.
Do you want to have that hassle every time you move the drive?

> 3. I do office work, my programs are relatively primitive that I run.

Then why not stay with Win2K, which is probably the most stable OS that
ever came from Redmond.

> I do download and run DVD's, hence my problem.

I play DVDs on my Win2K box, though they are from DVD disks, not
downloaded.

--
-bts

Meat Plow

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:37:50 -0700, Tom Tricep wrote:

> Hello Good People:
>
> I have win 2k with fat 32. My puter guy set it up that way for some
> reason eons ago, or at least 2 years ago. My office software has
> morphed, so I can go to NTSC and win xp if need be. I need NTSC cause
> I can't convert files over 4gig with fat 32.
>
> 1. Can I install NTSC on my win2K or must I go to and install xp?
>
> 2. Do most programs work with xp that have worked with win 2K? I know
> that's a tough question.
>
> 3. Can you use an xp disc on more than one computer if only one is
> connected to the internet? I am the only user. Puter "B" is not
> networked.
>
> 3. I do office work, my programs are relatively primitive that I run.
> I do download and run DVD's, hence my problem.
>
> Thanks in advance. You guys and gals rock!
>
> Tom Tricep

Why not add a new internal hard drive formatted with NTFS? Should be able
to pick up a 200 gig for 50 bucks or so. It would be safer than converting
your current file system.

wisdomkiller & pain

Tom Tricep wrote:

> Hello Good People:
>
> I have win 2k with fat 32. My puter guy set it up that way for some
> reason eons ago, or at least 2 years ago. My office software has
> morphed, so I can go to NTSC and win xp if need be. I need NTSC cause
> I can't convert files over 4gig with fat 32.
>
> 1. Can I install NTSC on my win2K or must I go to and install xp?

Since you are not talking about television standards, it is probably "NTFS".
Open a "command prompt" or type "cmd" in start - run, then "convert /?" for
a brief explanation of what it does.
Remember, there is no way back from ntfs to fat32 using windows tools.
You may as well end with a cluster size of 512 Bytes only, which slows down
your pc a bit, and leads to really bad fragmentation in the long run.

> 2. Do most programs work with xp that have worked with win 2K? I know
> that's a tough question.

In fact, I have not seen one that doesn't. Instead, winxp runs many, mostly
old dos/game programs, that win2k won't.

> 3. Can you use an xp disc on more than one computer if only one is
> connected to the internet? I am the only user. Puter "B" is not
> networked.

If you mean the harddisk, no (same goes for win2k) since it will detect the
different hardware, barf for drivers or even refuse to start
with "inaccessable boot device" bluescreen on different type chipsets/ide
controllers, and finally (xp only) request re-activation due to changed
hardware.
If you mean a install cd, it *can* be done but you need to activate by phone
with no internet unless you have a OEM "branded" or bios-locked key/cd.
Though, it is not permitted by the EULA.

> 3. I do office work, my programs are relatively primitive that I run.
> I do download and run DVD's, hence my problem.

As already told, "convert" will do that for you, but you need to defragment
regularly afterwards, and/or use 3rd-party tools to change the clustersize
to the usual 4kB.

How to reformat NTSC formated SATA drive from WIN ME on ATA IDE master TJ Computer Support 10 06-01-2007 02:17 PM
Installing Win XP drivers on an Win 98 PC Jerry Rivers Computer Support 4 01-03-2004 07:25 PM
NTSC-PAL-NTSC question You DVD Video 4 12-17-2003 08:40 PM
I Need to Generate a NTSC Signal - Help! Shanon Fernald VHDL 1 10-23-2003 03:27 AM

Advertisments