Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Webpage loading takes about 15 seconds with DSL

Webpage loading takes about 15 seconds with DSL

Danny

Hi,

we have just uploaded our first APS.NET webpage some days ago.

Now we had to notice that it takes soo long until the page is shown. About
15 seconds.

First we thought, maybe it's because we have our clients in germany and the
server is located in the USA. But this is not the reason, because the ping
is ok.

Now we looked at the code, the pictures sizes and so on, but we could not
find a problem here. Everything should be quite fast.

Then we asked our provider and they said, well, if the ping is ok, then it
must be our problem. I guess that it has to do with the shared server and
thus shared IIS we are using, because haved loaded the page one time and
deleting the clients cache, the next loading of the page is much faster.

Visitors will be very disappointed, because they want to have a quick
Please help? What could be the problem and how to solve it?!

Regards
Danny

Kevin Spencer

Do you have a URL we can look at?

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP

Printing Components, Email Components,
http://www.miradyne.net

"Danny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> we have just uploaded our first APS.NET webpage some days ago.
>
> Now we had to notice that it takes soo long until the page is shown. About
> 15 seconds.
>
> First we thought, maybe it's because we have our clients in germany and
> the server is located in the USA. But this is not the reason, because the
> ping is ok.
>
> Now we looked at the code, the pictures sizes and so on, but we could not
> find a problem here. Everything should be quite fast.
>
> Then we asked our provider and they said, well, if the ping is ok, then it
> must be our problem. I guess that it has to do with the shared server and
> thus shared IIS we are using, because haved loaded the page one time and
> deleting the clients cache, the next loading of the page is much faster.
>
> Visitors will be very disappointed, because they want to have a quick
> Please help? What could be the problem and how to solve it?!
>
> Regards
> Danny

Mark Fitzpatrick

Danny,
The basic process in ASP.Net is the code is compiled the very first time it
is run when the web application starts. Once the site has had 20 minutes or
so of inactivity, and the last session is destroyed the application is
released from memory. That's how IIS recovers resources and maintains a
healthy state. When the site is hit again IIS creates the application space
and the ASP.Net code is re-compiled. This is just how the process works. You
could try to set up some automated browser that will view an .aspx web page
on your site every so often to try to maintain the application in a compiled
state in memory.

--
Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick

"Danny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> we have just uploaded our first APS.NET webpage some days ago.
>
> Now we had to notice that it takes soo long until the page is shown. About
> 15 seconds.
>
> First we thought, maybe it's because we have our clients in germany and
> the server is located in the USA. But this is not the reason, because the
> ping is ok.
>
> Now we looked at the code, the pictures sizes and so on, but we could not
> find a problem here. Everything should be quite fast.
>
> Then we asked our provider and they said, well, if the ping is ok, then it
> must be our problem. I guess that it has to do with the shared server and
> thus shared IIS we are using, because haved loaded the page one time and
> deleting the clients cache, the next loading of the page is much faster.
>
> Visitors will be very disappointed, because they want to have a quick
> Please help? What could be the problem and how to solve it?!
>
> Regards
> Danny

LiveTecs

Hi Danny,

On shared hosting environemnt on IIS6, by default, application pool always
shutdown asp.net process in case of 20 minutes of inactivity. And then
whenever we are requesting page after asp.net process shutdown, it always
take about 10 to 20 seconds to restart itself.

I switched 3 shared hosting company for one of my client and finally get one
good hosting company where I didn't find this issue.

Please read for more information
http://www.mitchelsellers.com/Blogs/...3/Default.aspx

Livetecs.com
http://www.livetecs.com
Free integrated web based timesheet, task management and bug tracking
solution.

"Danny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> we have just uploaded our first APS.NET webpage some days ago.
>
> Now we had to notice that it takes soo long until the page is shown. About
> 15 seconds.
>
> First we thought, maybe it's because we have our clients in germany and
> the server is located in the USA. But this is not the reason, because the
> ping is ok.
>
> Now we looked at the code, the pictures sizes and so on, but we could not
> find a problem here. Everything should be quite fast.
>
> Then we asked our provider and they said, well, if the ping is ok, then it
> must be our problem. I guess that it has to do with the shared server and
> thus shared IIS we are using, because haved loaded the page one time and
> deleting the clients cache, the next loading of the page is much faster.
>
> Visitors will be very disappointed, because they want to have a quick
> Please help? What could be the problem and how to solve it?!
>
> Regards
> Danny

bruce barker

check the page's viewstate size. a site accessed with dsl like yours
should not be using viewstate.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Danny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we have just uploaded our first APS.NET webpage some days ago.
>
> Now we had to notice that it takes soo long until the page is shown. About
> 15 seconds.
>
> First we thought, maybe it's because we have our clients in germany and the
> server is located in the USA. But this is not the reason, because the ping
> is ok.
>
> Now we looked at the code, the pictures sizes and so on, but we could not
> find a problem here. Everything should be quite fast.
>
> Then we asked our provider and they said, well, if the ping is ok, then it
> must be our problem. I guess that it has to do with the shared server and
> thus shared IIS we are using, because haved loaded the page one time and
> deleting the clients cache, the next loading of the page is much faster.
>
> Visitors will be very disappointed, because they want to have a quick
> Please help? What could be the problem and how to solve it?!
>
> Regards
> Danny

Danny

Hi guys,

thanks a lot for the explanations and the tipps you gave me!

I will try to reproduce the behaviour you set and follow your hints.
If there still will be any question, I would like to answer again, but at
the moment I think I have retrieved very wealthy information from you guys!

Thanks again,
Danny

news:(E-Mail Removed)...