Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Dear rf...

Dear rf...

dorayme

Dear rf,

I just like you to know that I made a special note just now of my
upload speed on my ADSL2 Optus connection and it hovered on 85KB
per sec for the few mins it took to upload a 36MB zip file to an
external server.

regards

dorayme

PS. I hope it is ok to be all friendly like now and then.

--
dorayme

Yorkshire Pete

On 25 Jul 2007 dorayme wrote in alt.html

> regards
>
> dorayme
>
> PS. I hope it is ok to be all friendly like now and then.

Only if I can top post.

--
D?
Yorkshire Pete

rf

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear rf,

G'day.

> I just like you to know that I made a special note just now of my
> upload speed on my ADSL2 Optus connection and it hovered on 85KB
> per sec for the few mins it took to upload a 36MB zip file to an
> external server.

That's not too bad. Actually, for upload that is very good.

Oddly enough a mate of mine just upgraded to ADSL2 and got less than he had
before. 20KB/s or something. Turns out they had put him on a throttled plan
by mistake. Sorted now.

I think I'll stay with my cable though. A recent download peaked at 473KB
per second, although upload is limited to 128KB/s.

--
Richard.

dorayme

In article <wmUpi.12171$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Dear rf,

> G'day.
>
> > I just like you to know that I made a special note just now of my
> > upload speed on my ADSL2 Optus connection and it hovered on 85KB
> > per sec for the few mins it took to upload a 36MB zip file to an
> > external server.

> That's not too bad. Actually, for upload that is very good.
>
> Oddly enough a mate of mine just upgraded to ADSL2 and got less than he had
> before. 20KB/s or something. Turns out they had put him on a throttled plan
> by mistake. Sorted now.
>
> I think I'll stay with my cable though. A recent download peaked at 473KB
> per second, although upload is limited to 128KB/s.

128KB/sec is respectable indeed.

While OT, it would be silly not to add something:

I made a bit of an investigation of the way Optus throttle things
at the end of last month, it is quite interesting. My plan calls
for throttling back to modem speed when you go over the download
limit on the broadband. I am not a big downloader (I am a fair
uploader though) so I often have spare at the end. It is 'use it
or lose it' so I rush to get all my favourite podcasts from the
ABC and software updates...

Optus seem to decelerate the speed, it does not simply happen all
of a sudden! And I can understand why, if this is right: it would
cause too much of a shock and they could be sued for health
effects. It is incredibly slow at the very end, in fact, I get
the feeling that the engineers were so taken by the technical
problem of easing us poor schmucks into dialup-land that they
simply forgot to put the limit of 28 on. Or, diabolically,
deliberately so to encourage a higher take up of a more expensive
plan.

--
dorayme

rf

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <wmUpi.12171$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> While OT, it would be silly not to add something:

> I made a bit of an investigation of the way Optus throttle things
> at the end of last month, it is quite interesting. My plan calls
> for throttling back to modem speed when you go over the download
> limit on the broadband.

Bigpond take the monetory approach. Go over the limit and megabytes suddenly
cost $0.15 per each. That zip file you mentioned would cost $5.40 to
upload.

--
Richard.

dorayme

In article <J_Upi.12178$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In article <wmUpi.12171$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > While OT, it would be silly not to add something:

> > I made a bit of an investigation of the way Optus throttle things
> > at the end of last month, it is quite interesting. My plan calls
> > for throttling back to modem speed when you go over the download
> > limit on the broadband.

> Bigpond take the monetory approach. Go over the limit and megabytes suddenly
> cost $0.15 per each. That zip file you mentioned would cost $5.40 to
> upload.

The interesting thing about my Optus plan is they don't count
uploads at all, that suits me fine. Yes, I know about Bigpond.
Tell you what though, Optus is not easy to deal with on the admin
side, it is simply too big (like Telstra). These dinosaurs can
get about for a while but they are not a pretty sight.

--
dorayme

Toby A Inkster

rf wrote:

> Bigpond take the monetory approach. Go over the limit and megabytes suddenly
> cost $0.15 per each.

$150 per gig? Ouch!

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.12-12mdksmp, up 36 days, 15:46.]

Cryptography Challenge
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/0...pto-challenge/

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)5n.co.uk>,
Toby A Inkster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> rf wrote:
>
> > Bigpond take the monetory approach. Go over the limit and megabytes
> > suddenly
> > cost $0.15 per each.

> $150 per gig? Ouch!

Indeed.

Which reminds me. Because of the rival Optus policy of throttling
speed back with absurd gusto when you have reached your limit, I
find it quicker to keep a dial up account and use this old
chestnut for minor end of month work... That may be a better
policy for Telstra customers too. With Optus at least, keeping a
dial up account is quite cheap as an extra. And handy for when
travelling.

--
dorayme

Dear Canon ,Dear Panasonic,Dear Fuji... tiresia2@hotmail.it Digital Photography 1 08-15-2006 01:36 PM
OT: Dear Lord... Neil MCSE 13 01-24-2005 09:03 PM
Dear MCNGP Lost MCSE 3 05-17-2004 07:21 PM
Dear Sir . Mohammad Nowshad Sikder MCSE 5 10-10-2003 10:57 PM

Advertisments