Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > P&S vs DSLR - Does this argument make sense?

Reply
Thread Tools

P&S vs DSLR - Does this argument make sense?

 
 
aniramca@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2007
I want to buy a DSLR because it is the only type of digital camera
that has larger size sensor, not because I am looking for more
flexibility of using (and spent more money on) different types and
ranges of lenses. As long as it has a reasonable zoom lens, I am
happy.
Comments?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Scott W
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2007
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I want to buy a DSLR because it is the only type of digital camera
> that has larger size sensor, not because I am looking for more
> flexibility of using (and spent more money on) different types and
> ranges of lenses. As long as it has a reasonable zoom lens, I am
> happy.
> Comments?


A lot depends on the zoom range you believe you will need. If you want
anything close to wide angle and also close to telephoto you will most
likely need at least two lenses to cover the whole range. Some people
don't seem to care about the telephoto end and just leave on a lens that
has a zoom range on the order of 17- 85mm

But if you are going to get a DSLR a couple of nice prime lenses are
also nice to have.

Scott

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Michael Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2007
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I want to buy a DSLR because it is the only type of digital camera
> that has larger size sensor, not because I am looking for more
> flexibility of using (and spent more money on) different types and
> ranges of lenses. As long as it has a reasonable zoom lens, I am
> happy.


Sounds like you should consider something like a Canon 400D, or other
entry level DSLR, with a super zoom lens such as a Sigma 18-200mm OS or
a Tamron 18-250mm. The Sigma gives you optical lens stabilization to
match many P&S cameras. Another choice would be a Nikon DSLR with their
18-200mm VR lens. This type of DSLR/lens combination, IMO, beats any
P&S camera available in a variety of aspects.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Raphael Bustin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2007
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 19:05:32 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I want to buy a DSLR because it is the only type of digital camera
>that has larger size sensor, not because I am looking for more
>flexibility of using (and spent more money on) different types and
>ranges of lenses. As long as it has a reasonable zoom lens, I am
>happy.
>Comments?



Unfortunately, yes, that's the way it is at the moment.

I went through the same gyrations shopping for my most
recent P&S. I was ready to spend serious cash, but
there really weren't any options. The few I found were
nearly as heavy (or heavier) than an SLR. (Eg.,
Lumix DLC-L1K @ $1499.)


rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
David J Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2007
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I want to buy a DSLR because it is the only type of digital camera
> that has larger size sensor, not because I am looking for more
> flexibility of using (and spent more money on) different types and
> ranges of lenses. As long as it has a reasonable zoom lens, I am
> happy.
> Comments?


You don't /have/ to go DSLR:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1/

and perhaps one of two rangefinder cameras.

But the Sony may end up as big, heavy and expensive as more versatile DSLR
with a kit lens. Might work better in a dusty enviroment, though.

David


 
Reply With Quote
 
Trev
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2007

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I want to buy a DSLR because it is the only type of digital camera
> that has larger size sensor, not because I am looking for more
> flexibility of using (and spent more money on) different types and
> ranges of lenses. As long as it has a reasonable zoom lens, I am
> happy.
> Comments?
>

Yes It can have a bigger sensor. But a High end lens attached can produce
some cracking A3 prints. So its only of benefit if you can see the
difference in the finished results


 
Reply With Quote
 
Akiralx
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2007

"Raphael Bustin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 19:05:32 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>I want to buy a DSLR because it is the only type of digital camera
>>that has larger size sensor, not because I am looking for more
>>flexibility of using (and spent more money on) different types and
>>ranges of lenses. As long as it has a reasonable zoom lens, I am
>>happy.
>>Comments?

>
>
> Unfortunately, yes, that's the way it is at the moment.
>
> I went through the same gyrations shopping for my most
> recent P&S. I was ready to spend serious cash, but
> there really weren't any options. The few I found were
> nearly as heavy (or heavier) than an SLR. (Eg.,
> Lumix DLC-L1K @ $1499.)
>


The L1 is a DSLR. The Sony R1 may be a good choice, a bit old now though.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Pete D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2007

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
wrote in message news:ZOXpi.4389$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I want to buy a DSLR because it is the only type of digital camera
>> that has larger size sensor, not because I am looking for more
>> flexibility of using (and spent more money on) different types and
>> ranges of lenses. As long as it has a reasonable zoom lens, I am
>> happy.
>> Comments?

>
> You don't /have/ to go DSLR:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1/
>
> and perhaps one of two rangefinder cameras.
>
> But the Sony may end up as big, heavy and expensive as more versatile DSLR
> with a kit lens. Might work better in a dusty enviroment, though.
>
> David


Not necessarily better, any lens going in and out has to move air somewhere,
if your zoomy P&S manages to get some dust into the sensor area it is
basicly impossible to get out, with a D-SLR it is easy.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael J Davis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2007
Akiralx <(E-Mail Removed)> observed
>
>"Raphael Bustin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 19:05:32 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>>I want to buy a DSLR because it is the only type of digital camera
>>>that has larger size sensor, not because I am looking for more
>>>flexibility of using (and spent more money on) different types and
>>>ranges of lenses. As long as it has a reasonable zoom lens, I am
>>>happy.
>>>Comments?

>>
>> Unfortunately, yes, that's the way it is at the moment.
>>
>> I went through the same gyrations shopping for my most
>> recent P&S. I was ready to spend serious cash, but
>> there really weren't any options. The few I found were
>> nearly as heavy (or heavier) than an SLR. (Eg.,
>> Lumix DLC-L1K @ $1499.)

>
>The L1 is a DSLR. The Sony R1 may be a good choice, a bit old now though.


I was shopping for a *silent* multipurpose camera earlier this year and
looked at the Sony R1. Really interesting camera - at the original price
much too expensive, but it was available at around the 400 price when I
looked. (It's now back up in the 500+ range so the price I saw may be a
mistake). But the lens (especially 24mm eqiv) and sensor size made a
lot of sense, but the max aperture of f4.8 at 120mm worked against it
for my needs.

I eventually decided on the Panasonic FZ50 at 299, because I needed a
longer lens for nature and candid photography and use RAW to rescue the
image!

But as a long term M3 user, I really hate the sound an SLR makes - which
is the quietest SLR?

Mike

[The reply-to address is valid for 30 days from this posting]
--
Michael J Davis
<><
Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".
<><
 
Reply With Quote
 
Raphael Bustin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2007
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 07:11:53 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I want to buy a DSLR because it is the only type of digital camera
>> that has larger size sensor, not because I am looking for more
>> flexibility of using (and spent more money on) different types and
>> ranges of lenses. As long as it has a reasonable zoom lens, I am
>> happy.
>> Comments?

>
>You don't /have/ to go DSLR:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1/
>
>and perhaps one of two rangefinder cameras.
>
>But the Sony may end up as big, heavy and expensive as more versatile DSLR
>with a kit lens. Might work better in a dusty enviroment, though.
>
>David



Pretty much. The Sony that's pictured in the link isn't
exactly sized for a shirt or jacket pocket.

It's not an unusual form factor nowadays, but it's not
exactly "compact."

I still don't see why a 15x23 mm sensor "requires" a
large, heavy camera body. Back in the day, there
were slim, lightweight "half-frame" 35 mm cameras.

You're talking about a "normal" lens of 28 mm, which
isn't that much of a challenge.


rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there a dslr on the market that does not require looking at it to make adjustments? ronviers@gmail.com Digital Photography 55 03-23-2006 05:50 PM
Which P&S to complement a dSLR (follows "Hamstrung by a dSLR") Siddhartha Jain Digital Photography 17 07-10-2005 03:31 AM
[DSLR] rpd.slr-systems is _the_ place for DSLR discussion Alan Browne Digital Photography 41 04-14-2005 06:33 AM
Nikon D70 dSLR or Nikon CP8800 Non dSLR (Non-CCD Cleaning!!) ?? Digital Photography 61 03-18-2005 07:41 AM
Advice please: DSLR or DSLR-style? JB Digital Photography 10 10-21-2004 10:07 AM



Advertisments