Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > PIX with software 6.3 permit-hostdown equivalent?

PIX with software 6.3 permit-hostdown equivalent?

JLindsey.FW@gmail.com

I know that version 6.3 of the pix firewall software does not have the
permit-hostdown command for syslogging. Does anyone know if theres an
equivalent of that? We've been trying this new syslog server and were
trying to work some of the bugs out that we've come across... but when
it flakes out on us our internet goes down do to the fact that if
logging is on on the PIX and it can't log it doesn't allow any new
connections.

Long story short... does anyone know how to tell the PIX to keep
working normally even when it can't log to the log server???

Justin Lindsey

R&D Network Technician
Stryker Communications

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Long story short... does anyone know how to tell the PIX to keep
>working normally even when it can't log to the log server???

Use udp syslog (the default). The PIX will only halt traffic
flow if it is unable to log to a tcp syslog server. With udp
it doesn't even get told whether the message made it as far as
the syslog server.