Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak's new CMOS camera

Kodak's new CMOS camera

C J Campbell

This is interesting.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0707/07072501kodakc513.asp

It seems we are seeing a sea change here. Granted the camera's specs
are pedestrian, but it does make you wonder what is just around the
corner.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

ASAAR

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 08:23:51 -0700, C J Campbell wrote:

> This is interesting.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0707/07072501kodakc513.asp
>
> It seems we are seeing a sea change here. Granted the camera's specs
> are pedestrian, but it does make you wonder what is just around the
> corner.

Umm, the same 1/2.5" sensor, but with 10mp instead of 5mp?

It would be nice if their new sensor technology delivers what
DPReview and Kodak's press release suggests.

Jim

"C J Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> This is interesting.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0707/07072501kodakc513.asp
>
> It seems we are seeing a sea change here. Granted the camera's specs are
> pedestrian, but it does make you wonder what is just around the corner.
> --
> Waddling Eagle
> World Famous Flight Instructor

Or, yet another failed Kodak product.
They do make some very good products for the astronomy folks.
Jim

sw2U

In article <2007072508235150073-christophercampbell@hotmailcom>,
> This is interesting.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0707/07072501kodakc513.asp
>
> It seems we are seeing a sea change here. Granted the camera's specs
> are pedestrian, but it does make you wonder what is just around the
> corner.

No optical viewfinder. Ugh.

Next, no LCD screen. Just point and hope for the best.

Also, I'm wondering how the introduction of this $99 camera squares
with Kodak CEO's announcement of a few weeks ago that his company
is getting out of the low-end digicam field.

--
sw2U

David J Taylor

sw2U wrote:
> In article <2007072508235150073-christophercampbell@hotmailcom>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> This is interesting.
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0707/07072501kodakc513.asp
>>
>> It seems we are seeing a sea change here. Granted the camera's specs
>> are pedestrian, but it does make you wonder what is just around the
>> corner.
>>

> No optical viewfinder. Ugh.
>
> Next, no LCD screen. Just point and hope for the best.
>
> Also, I'm wondering how the introduction of this $99 camera squares
> with Kodak CEO's announcement of a few weeks ago that his company
> is getting out of the low-end digicam field.

Looks like a large LCD screen on the back?

David

Ron Hunter

C J Campbell wrote:
> This is interesting.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0707/07072501kodakc513.asp
>
> It seems we are seeing a sea change here. Granted the camera's specs are
> pedestrian, but it does make you wonder what is just around the corner.

For a camera in this price range, the specs aren't bad. A 5mp camera
for under $100 is somewhat of a breakthrough. It should be fairly
popular for the casual photographer, although the movie mode is pretty
much inadequate.

Ron Hunter

sw2U wrote:
> In article <2007072508235150073-christophercampbell@hotmailcom>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> This is interesting.
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0707/07072501kodakc513.asp
>>
>> It seems we are seeing a sea change here. Granted the camera's specs
>> are pedestrian, but it does make you wonder what is just around the
>> corner.
>>

> No optical viewfinder. Ugh.
>
> Next, no LCD screen. Just point and hope for the best.
>
> Also, I'm wondering how the introduction of this $99 camera squares
> with Kodak CEO's announcement of a few weeks ago that his company
> is getting out of the low-end digicam field.
>
> --
> sw2U

If he made such a statement, then I suspect he won't be around long.
Kodak has leadership in the low end of the market, and NO presence in
the high end of the consumer market. Kodak has some really professional
products, but nothing in the high end of amateur photographic equipment,
so they would need to design and sell such cameras before dropping the
low end. Such a project could take many years to develop.

John Turco

Jim wrote:

> "C J Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > This is interesting.
> >
> > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0707/07072501kodakc513.asp
> >
> > It seems we are seeing a sea change here. Granted the camera's specs are
> > pedestrian, but it does make you wonder what is just around the corner.
> > --
> > Waddling Eagle
> > World Famous Flight Instructor
> >

> Or, yet another failed Kodak product.
> They do make some very good products for the astronomy folks.
> Jim

Hello, Jim:

Aw, c'mon! The C513 won't be introduced, till August, and you're calling
it a failure, already?

For your information, Kodak's own Web site lists it, at $79.95 USD:

KODAK EASYSHARE C513 Zoom Digital Camera
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

With such a tempting price, I seriously doubt that it won't succeed,
in the marketplace. After all, I challenge you to find even a no-name
digicam with the C513's specs, retailing for under $80 USD.

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Rich

On Jul 25, 11:23 am, C J Campbell <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> This is interesting.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0707/07072501kodakc513.asp
>
> It seems we are seeing a sea change here. Granted the camera's specs
> are pedestrian, but it does make you wonder what is just around the
> corner.
> --
> Waddling Eagle
> World Famous Flight Instructor

Weren't they saying less than 6 months ago they were leaving the
cheapo camera arena?

Ron Hunter

John Turco wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>> "C J Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> This is interesting.
>>>
>>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0707/07072501kodakc513.asp
>>>
>>> It seems we are seeing a sea change here. Granted the camera's specs are
>>> pedestrian, but it does make you wonder what is just around the corner.
>>> --
>>> Waddling Eagle
>>> World Famous Flight Instructor
>>>

>> Or, yet another failed Kodak product.
>> They do make some very good products for the astronomy folks.
>> Jim

> Hello, Jim:
>
> Aw, c'mon! The C513 won't be introduced, till August, and you're calling
> it a failure, already?
>
> For your information, Kodak's own Web site lists it, at $79.95 USD:
>
> KODAK EASYSHARE C513 Zoom Digital Camera
> http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US
>
> With such a tempting price, I seriously doubt that it won't succeed,
> in the marketplace. After all, I challenge you to find even a no-name
> digicam with the C513's specs, retailing for under $80 USD.
>

> Cordially,
> John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

John,
Surely you have noticed a mild anti-Kodak bias in this newsgroup? Grin.
Like Iran mildly dislikes Israel....

CMOS vs CCD - why Kodak has used a CMOS sensor in a small-sensor camera David J Taylor Digital Photography 4 08-15-2007 07:37 PM
CMOS camera-FPGA-USB ontos VHDL 2 05-16-2007 10:07 AM
CMOS battery low wrong memory on CMOS battery Uncle Nobby Computer Information 1 11-08-2006 12:13 AM
CMOS camera J. Davidson Digital Photography 13 08-29-2005 07:33 PM
VHDL & OV6620 cmos camera PC VHDL 0 07-02-2003 08:30 PM

Advertisments