Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > The *real* value of MCSE

The *real* value of MCSE

John R

I just thought I'd tell you guys about this.

Recently, a local community college ran an ad for a network administrator.
For the requirements they put that they wanted someone with a minimum of 2-5
years experience in network administration for a multi-location business,
MCSE, and preferrably heavily into security.

Hey, that's right up my alley, no harm in talking. So I filled out their 15
page application and submitted it in triplicate, etc, etc (The package
ended up costing me about $2 in postage).

I received a telephone call a couple days ago from their HR department.

"Hi John, this is Bruce with xxxxx college. We wanted to let you know that
you are the leading candidate for the network administrator position that we
have available and we would be very interested in talking with you. By the
way, we noticed your salary requirements in the application. We just wanted
to let you know that this position will pay in the low to mid 30's which is
significantly less than you make right now, but we hope you are still
interested."

John R

TheITGirl

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just thought I'd tell you guys about this.
>
> Recently, a local community college ran an ad for a network administrator.
> For the requirements they put that they wanted someone with a minimum of
> 2-5 years experience in network administration for a multi-location
> business, MCSE, and preferrably heavily into security.
>
> Hey, that's right up my alley, no harm in talking. So I filled out their
> 15 page application and submitted it in triplicate, etc, etc (The package
> ended up costing me about $2 in postage).
>
> I received a telephone call a couple days ago from their HR department.
>
> "Hi John, this is Bruce with xxxxx college. We wanted to let you know
> that you are the leading candidate for the network administrator position
> that we have available and we would be very interested in talking with
> you. By the way, we noticed your salary requirements in the application.
> We just wanted to let you know that this position will pay in the low to
> mid 30's which is significantly less than you make right now, but we hope
> you are still interested."
>
> John R

Ah, but the real reward would be the knowledge that you would be serving
your local community <g>..

Seriously though, that's what really P's me off about job adverts. They
hardly ever tell you what salary they're offering. Don't they realise
they're wasting their own time as well as that of the applicants?

I suspect it's because 9 times out of 10 employers will check out the salary
the successful applicant is earning and then offer about 1-2K more - the
minimum they need to tempt them away from their current employer.

IT Girl MCDST

Neil

did you hear "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> say in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> which is
> significantly less than you make right now, but we hope you are still
> totally stupid."

I fixed thier quote

- I'm not arrogant, I'm RIGHT!

The Rev [MCT]

Thats college. Sadly it works that way. My sister teaches at a state school
and I easily make more than twice her salary, and then some perhaps.

--
..rev

accepting it"
~Aristotle

Save 20% off any Microsoft MCP Exam when testing with Pearson VUE. Use
Discount code: MSUU7C1E9359

Register on-line @ vue.com
..
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just thought I'd tell you guys about this.
>
> Recently, a local community college ran an ad for a network administrator.
> For the requirements they put that they wanted someone with a minimum of
> 2-5 years experience in network administration for a multi-location
> business, MCSE, and preferrably heavily into security.
>
> Hey, that's right up my alley, no harm in talking. So I filled out their
> 15 page application and submitted it in triplicate, etc, etc (The package
> ended up costing me about $2 in postage).
>
> I received a telephone call a couple days ago from their HR department.
>
> "Hi John, this is Bruce with xxxxx college. We wanted to let you know
> that you are the leading candidate for the network administrator position
> that we have available and we would be very interested in talking with
> you. By the way, we noticed your salary requirements in the application.
> We just wanted to let you know that this position will pay in the low to
> mid 30's which is significantly less than you make right now, but we hope
> you are still interested."
>
> John R

Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]

news:Xns99786A174FFE3neilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6:

> did you hear "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> say in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > which is
> > significantly less than you make right now, but we hope you are still
> > totally stupid."
> >

> I fixed thier quote
>
> --
> The InterNeil "V2 w/tabbed browsing & decreased verbosity" MCNGP Triple X
>
> - I'm not arrogant, I'm RIGHT!

Now see, that was funny. Even if "their" was misspelled.

--
Michael D. Alligood,
MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST

catwalker63

"Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
prattled ceaselessly in news:#(E-Mail Removed):

> news:Xns99786A174FFE3neilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6:
>
>> did you hear "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> say in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > which is
>> > significantly less than you make right now, but we hope you are
>> > still totally stupid."
>> >

>> I fixed thier quote
>>

> Now see, that was funny. Even if "their" was misspelled.

I think his spolling adds something to make it more amusing.

--
Catwalker
MCNGP #43

Neil

did you hear "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> say in news:#5SMj3szHHA.1184
@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl:

> "their" was misspelled.

no it wasn't, we are talking about "college" here...

- I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong.

Neil

did you hear catwalker63 <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
news:Xns997854B918B4Acatwalker63athotmail@216.196. 97.136:

> I think his spolling adds something to make it more amusing.

part of my charm...

you know you want me...

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

....to spell properly...

- Make friends with SYSOPs: [O]perator at 3:00 a.m.