Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Different types of video output - I'm confused

Reply
Thread Tools

Different types of video output - I'm confused

 
 
robotiser@googlemail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-25-2007
I have a new DVD player (Logik LD3330 - yes, I'm a cheapskate who
wanted to try making DIVXs of home movies). I'm rather confused by the
large number of video outputs. It has a SCART cable, and the manual
says to set video output to TV-RGB if using SCART. It also has YPbPr
component video output, Composite video output, and S-Video output. As
far as I can tell from reading on the web, Composite is bad, all the
others are better. My TV is a Toshiba 21S23. This has only SCART
input, and composite video input (one, on the front). The specs on
Toshiba site list its input as SCART 2, RGB 1. S-Video is listed as
"SCART only". I'm not sure what they mean listing the RGB input
separate to the SCART connections.

Can I presume that the DVD is outputting RGB video through SCART, and
the television is reading this information during DVD playback. Hence
new/fancy cables are unlikely to give me a better picture? Or, is
there something which means that I could be getting worse pictures
from my setup than I should do?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Steve Roberts
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-25-2007
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 05:02:47 -0700, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a new DVD player (Logik LD3330 - yes, I'm a cheapskate who
>wanted to try making DIVXs of home movies). I'm rather confused by the
>large number of video outputs. It has a SCART cable, and the manual
>says to set video output to TV-RGB if using SCART. It also has YPbPr
>component video output, Composite video output, and S-Video output. As
>far as I can tell from reading on the web, Composite is bad, all the
>others are better. My TV is a Toshiba 21S23. This has only SCART
>input, and composite video input (one, on the front). The specs on
>Toshiba site list its input as SCART 2, RGB 1. S-Video is listed as
>"SCART only". I'm not sure what they mean listing the RGB input
>separate to the SCART connections.


It probably means it has two SCARTs, one of which is RGB capable. I
suspect the other one is S-Video capable.

I don't know Toshiba TVs, but it's usual for manufacturers to make
SCART1 the RGB-capable one.

If RGB is enabled on the DVD player SCART, the TV should automatically
switch to RGB input. You could see if you can switch RGB off in the
player setup menu and see if there's a difference - find a DVD menu
with lots of fine text on it, this should show off the difference
quite well.

Steve

The Doctor Who Restoration Team Website
http://www.restoration-team.co.uk
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
robotiser@googlemail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-29-2007
On Jul 25, 1:27 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Steve Roberts) wrote:
> It probably means it has two SCARTs, one of which is RGB capable. I
> suspect the other one is S-Video capable.
>
> I don't know Toshiba TVs, but it's usual for manufacturers to make
> SCART1 the RGB-capable one.
>
> If RGB is enabled on theDVDplayer SCART, the TV should automatically
> switch to RGB input. You could see if you can switch RGB off in the
> player setup menu and see if there's a difference - find aDVDmenu
> with lots of fine text on it, this should show off the difference
> quite well.


Thanks. It looks like my system is fairly well set up (DVD player into
RGB capable SCART) for the price of the components.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
os.popen output different from native shell output nickname Python 7 08-26-2009 02:18 PM
Different behaviour in different struct declaration types __PaTeR C Programming 7 01-01-2009 12:13 AM
list of html code same but output is different on different browsers pradeep HTML 3 06-07-2007 05:54 PM
how to play different types of audio-video files in the browser? anil.rita@gmail.com Javascript 13 01-01-2007 05:10 AM



Advertisments