Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Headset Options for Sony Vaio

Headset Options for Sony Vaio

Dick K

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-C1Z/B running Windows MCE 2005.
It uses the Toshiba Bluetooth Stack for Windows
v4.00.36.0(SO)with driver version 5.0.2129.0, has a
Sony cordless mouse and connects wirelessly to the
internet.

I'd like to use a cordless device for audio playback
and recording and in particular for VoIP with Skype.
I naively bought a Plantronics Pulsar 590E headset -
after all it was Bluetooth so what could possibly go
wrong? Oh boy! Well, firstly Bluetooth insists that
the device is an "audio sink", not a "headset", so
that's the mic and Skype kaput. Secondly, as Bluetooth
help would have warned me had I bothered to read it,
Bluetooth headphones only work properly if no other
Bluetooth devices are connected. Audio playback breaks
up and lags hopelessly unless I disable the mouse and
the internet connection. I gather from Google that a
number of people have encountered similar problems. I
couldn't find any convincing solutions, so I think the
Pulsar is a lost cause though I'd be grateful if
anyone has any useful suggestion to offer.

My next option seems to be a corded headset plugged
directly into the sound card but I would really like
a cordless solution if possible. So, I'd be grateful
for recommendations for a binaural stereo cordless
headset which would actually work with my system for
audio playback and recording, including VoIP.

TIA

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Dick K wrote:
> I have a Sony Vaio VGN-C1Z/B running Windows MCE 2005.
> It uses the Toshiba Bluetooth Stack for Windows
> v4.00.36.0(SO)with driver version 5.0.2129.0, has a
> Sony cordless mouse and connects wirelessly to the
> internet.
>
> I'd like to use a cordless device for audio playback
> and recording and in particular for VoIP with Skype.
> I naively bought a Plantronics Pulsar 590E headset -
> after all it was Bluetooth so what could possibly go
> wrong? Oh boy! Well, firstly Bluetooth insists that
> the device is an "audio sink", not a "headset", so
> that's the mic and Skype kaput. Secondly, as Bluetooth
> help would have warned me had I bothered to read it,
> Bluetooth headphones only work properly if no other
> Bluetooth devices are connected. Audio playback breaks
> up and lags hopelessly unless I disable the mouse and
> the internet connection. I gather from Google that a
> number of people have encountered similar problems. I
> couldn't find any convincing solutions, so I think the
> Pulsar is a lost cause though I'd be grateful if
> anyone has any useful suggestion to offer.
>
> My next option seems to be a corded headset plugged
> directly into the sound card but I would really like
> a cordless solution if possible. So, I'd be grateful
> for recommendations for a binaural stereo cordless
> headset which would actually work with my system for
> audio playback and recording, including VoIP.

Does the FCC know you're trying to do all this?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Rgr wrote:

> Does the FCC know you're trying to do all this?

Never mind, you're a limey.