Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Website to share and distribute photos

Website to share and distribute photos

divoch

I am looking for advice on the best free way to electronically view,
share and distribute/download digital photos taken by a group of people on
the same
trip but who live in diverse locations around the globe.

Thanks
Roman

www.flickr.com

Do you want the photos to be public or private?

news:Ukvpi.450$(E-Mail Removed)...

hellman@stanford.edu

On Jul 24, 3:48 pm, "divoch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am looking for advice on the best free way to electronically view,
> share and distribute/download digital photos taken by a group of people on
> the same
> trip but who live in diverse locations around the globe.

The only site I'm aware of that allows full resolution downloads is
phanfare.com. If anyone is aware of others that are cheaper (phanfare
is ~$50 per year) that do a good job with a nice user interface,
please chime in.

I'm not sure phanfare will meet your needs though, since you probably
want all the people in the group to be able to upload to the same
account and I don't think phanfare supports that. On the other hand,
if each person gets their own account, you can get the cost down to
half the usual (for the first two years) since they have a deal where
getting a friend to sign up gets you a free year. The algorithm isn't
too hard to figure out. Person n gets person n+1 to sign up. That way,
all but the last person get two years for the price of one. Of course,
if these people are traveling to see the same sites, $50 a year
shouldn't be a big deal.

Bruce Lewis

"divoch" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I am looking for advice on the best free way to electronically view,
> share and distribute/download digital photos taken by a group of
> people on the same
> trip but who live in diverse locations around the globe.

Mine is the best for photos that tell a chronological story, like your
trip. It can be free with ads, or you can pay to keep it ad-free. It's
easy to make a group site. It's easy to cross-post your photos between
the group site and personal sites. If you want to keep people
up-to-date via email it has the absolute best interface.

--

http://ourdoings.com/
Amazingly simple photo sharing

ray

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 22:48:20 +0000, divoch wrote:

> I am looking for advice on the best free way to electronically view,
> share and distribute/download digital photos taken by a group of people on
> the same
> trip but who live in diverse locations around the globe.
>
> Thanks
> Roman

Why not set up your own web site? You can host commercially, for example,
at netfirms.com for $5/month - plenty of bandwidth and storage space -
then you can set up whatever you want.

divoch

Private
Roman

"N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46a68600$0$31412$(E-Mail Removed)...
> www.flickr.com
>
> Do you want the photos to be public or private?
>
> "divoch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Ukvpi.450$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am looking for advice on the best free way to electronically view,
>> share and distribute/download digital photos taken by a group of people
>> on the same
>> trip but who live in diverse locations around the globe.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Roman

Hamid

Roman, we just launched a site for just that:

http://www.photodrop.com

It's the easiest of the bunch to use.

Hamid

On Jul 24, 3:48 pm, "divoch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am looking for advice on the best free way to electronically view,
> share and distribute/download digital photos taken by a group of people on
> the same
> trip but who live in diverse locations around the globe.
>
> Thanks
> Roman

That makes it easy. Flickr handles it well.

"divoch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vEMpi.2030$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Private
> Roman
>
> "N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:46a68600$0$31412$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> www.flickr.com
>>
>> Do you want the photos to be public or private?
>>
>> "divoch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Ukvpi.450$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I am looking for advice on the best free way to electronically view,
>>> share and distribute/download digital photos taken by a group of people
>>> on the same
>>> trip but who live in diverse locations around the globe.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Roman

Bruce Lewis

Hamid <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Roman, we just launched a site for just that:
> http://www.photodrop.com
> It's the easiest of the bunch to use.

If it's "just for that" regarding the original poster's question, your
web site really doesn't make it clear. Your site reads as if it's for
individuals' photos, not a place to pool photos from a group. Also, a
diverse group of people from around the globe might not all be running
Microsoft Windows, and I think your "easiest of the bunch" claim relies
on people (1) running Windows and (2) being willing to install the
DropZone Client.

Hamid

On Jul 25, 8:41 pm, Bruce Lewis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hamid <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > Roman, we just launched a site for just that:
> >http://www.photodrop.com
> > It's the easiest of the bunch to use.

> If it's "just for that" regarding the original poster's question, your
> web site really doesn't make it clear. Your site reads as if it's for
> individuals' photos, not a place to pool photos from a group. Also, a
> diverse group of people from around the globe might not all be running
> Microsoft Windows, and I think your "easiest of the bunch" claim relies
> on people (1) running Windows and (2) being willing to install the
> DropZone Client.

Bruce, good points. But even if you're not running Windows or install
the DropZone client, you can upload 12 pics at a time without even
having an account. That's sort of what makes it easier than the rest.