Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Netscape loses its settings inexplicably

Netscape loses its settings inexplicably

dontspam@dontspam.dontspam

My kids use an old but nicely functional computer running Windows
2000. The browser on this computer is Netscape 7.2 (I've installed FF
on there too because I prefer that, but my kids use Netscape).

With disgusting regularity, like maybe once every ten days or so, the
Netscape settings just get overridden. The blank home page that the
preferences choose reverts to Netscape's home page. The saved
passwords are all lost. The bookmarks are all lost.

I've become adept at having a saved backup copy of a working profile,
and plopping that in over the useless settings, and that fixes things,
until the next time it happens.

My question is, why is it happening?

It's not viruses or spyware; I regularly sweep the computer for those
and no issues. And I know all the negatives about Netscape 7.2. As
I've said, FF is my own browser of choice.

I'm just disturbed about this behavior that has not been seen before,
and what the cause might be, and I'd like some ideas to check out,
free of the obvious digs at Netscape or at Windows 2000.

meerkat

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My kids use an old but nicely functional computer running Windows
> 2000. The browser on this computer is Netscape 7.2 (I've installed FF
> on there too because I prefer that, but my kids use Netscape).
>
> With disgusting regularity, like maybe once every ten days or so, the
> Netscape settings just get overridden. The blank home page that the
> preferences choose reverts to Netscape's home page. The saved
> passwords are all lost. The bookmarks are all lost.
>
> I've become adept at having a saved backup copy of a working profile,
> and plopping that in over the useless settings, and that fixes things,
> until the next time it happens.
>
> My question is, why is it happening?
>
> It's not viruses or spyware; I regularly sweep the computer for those
> and no issues. And I know all the negatives about Netscape 7.2. As
> I've said, FF is my own browser of choice.

Are you using a `cleanup program` perhaps ?.
Something, like CCleaner say, could be wiping out
the settings.
If not, it must be FF getting jealous <g>.

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 15:52:20 GMT, "meerkat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Are you using a `cleanup program` perhaps ?.
>Something, like CCleaner say, could be wiping out
>the settings.
>If not, it must be FF getting jealous <g>.

No cleaner program or any thing of that sort.

I'd kind of thought that some of this may have been due to my son, who
does crazy and reckless things on the computer at times, often
including locking it up and having to just turn it off without
properly shutting Windows down.

But he has been away the past few days, and my daughter had a "normal
browsing experience" in his absence, then an abnormal one.

But yes, I guess a key missing detail would be that it looks like
Netscape is making a new profile folder (same name as the one it
replaced, with a starter set of bookmarks, passwords, and settings).
So something is causing Netscape to know or remember what the default
profile folder is caused, but to not properly write the contents to
it, resulting in trashed bookmarks and passwords, as described in the
original post.

Or at least that's what it looks/seems like to me.

Now if I could just figure out WHAT is causing that...

meerkat

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 15:52:20 GMT, "meerkat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Are you using a `cleanup program` perhaps ?.
>>Something, like CCleaner say, could be wiping out
>>the settings.
>>If not, it must be FF getting jealous <g>.
>>

> No cleaner program or any thing of that sort.
>
> I'd kind of thought that some of this may have been due to my son, who
> does crazy and reckless things on the computer at times, often
> including locking it up and having to just turn it off without
> properly shutting Windows down.
>
> But he has been away the past few days, and my daughter had a "normal
> browsing experience" in his absence, then an abnormal one.
>
> But yes, I guess a key missing detail would be that it looks like
> Netscape is making a new profile folder (same name as the one it
> replaced, with a starter set of bookmarks, passwords, and settings).
> So something is causing Netscape to know or remember what the default
> profile folder is caused, but to not properly write the contents to
> it, resulting in trashed bookmarks and passwords, as described in the
> original post.
>
> Or at least that's what it looks/seems like to me.
>
> Now if I could just figure out WHAT is causing that..

I`m afraid I don`t use/know 2000.
Does it have an Event Viewer that might give you a clue ?.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"meerkat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I`m afraid I don`t use/know 2000.
>Does it have an Event Viewer that might give you a clue ?.

Same commands and tools of XP pro.

But to make best use of the Event Viewer, the OP would need to audit
the process, it's the process to audit that's the question.
--
Man changing flat tire on his RV surprised when airplane
bounces over his vehicle during emergency landing.

meerkat

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "meerkat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I`m afraid I don`t use/know 2000.
>>Does it have an Event Viewer that might give you a clue ?.

> Same commands and tools of XP pro.
>
> But to make best use of the Event Viewer, the OP would need to audit
> the process, it's the process to audit that's the question.

Thanks for the info Pw.
And your right, I was just trying to lead the OP in the correct
direction.

bw..

Shel-hed

Probably a corrupt prefs.js file.
Google
netscape profile corrupt

ISTR a that a few bugs could cause this corruption.
Wild-assed-guess, go through your bookmarks and make sure that there are no
duplicates.
Better yet, get the Mozilla suite or Seamonkey.
Your old profile is probably still there, just a little lost. If it happens
again, open profile manager and see if the old one is still there. You can then
delete the new one it created.
Remember, this is all from memory..,