Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > [OT] The noise level is increasing

[OT] The noise level is increasing

Wojtek

As I understand it, this newsgroup is for technical discussion.

Yet increasingly we are getting a LOT of personal attacks on other
people. I do not really care who insulted who first, or who perceives a
harmless post as an attack.

I quit reading advocacy groups a long time ago because most
"discussions" devolved into a few individuals jumping all over each
other.

So how about ceasing all this pointless bickering. You are all right
and you are all wrong. Nobody is going to convince anyone else of their
righteousness.

Meanwhile the rest of us have to wade throught this garbage. Go find an
advocacy group somewhere....

Or at the very least start a new thread, so I can kill-file the thread
subject line. Because the alternative is to kill-file individuals, and
some of you have made interesting on-topic posts in the past.

--
Wojtek

Daniel Pitts

On Jul 24, 8:40 am, Wojtek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> As I understand it, this newsgroup is for technical discussion.
>
> Yet increasingly we are getting a LOT of personal attacks on other
> people. I do not really care who insulted who first, or who perceives a
> harmless post as an attack.
>
> I quit reading advocacy groups a long time ago because most
> "discussions" devolved into a few individuals jumping all over each
> other.
>
> So how about ceasing all this pointless bickering. You are all right
> and you are all wrong. Nobody is going to convince anyone else of their
> righteousness.
>
> Meanwhile the rest of us have to wade throught this garbage. Go find an
> advocacy group somewhere....
>
> Or at the very least start a new thread, so I can kill-file the thread
> subject line. Because the alternative is to kill-file individuals, and
> some of you have made interesting on-topic posts in the past.
>
> --
> Wojtek

I second!

Patricia Shanahan

Daniel Pitts wrote:
> On Jul 24, 8:40 am, Wojtek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> As I understand it, this newsgroup is for technical discussion.
>>
>> Yet increasingly we are getting a LOT of personal attacks on other
>> people. I do not really care who insulted who first, or who perceives a
>> harmless post as an attack.
>>
>> I quit reading advocacy groups a long time ago because most
>> "discussions" devolved into a few individuals jumping all over each
>> other.
>>
>> So how about ceasing all this pointless bickering. You are all right
>> and you are all wrong. Nobody is going to convince anyone else of their
>> righteousness.
>>
>> Meanwhile the rest of us have to wade throught this garbage. Go find an
>> advocacy group somewhere....
>>
>> Or at the very least start a new thread, so I can kill-file the thread
>> subject line. Because the alternative is to kill-file individuals, and
>> some of you have made interesting on-topic posts in the past.
>>
>> --
>> Wojtek

> I second!

I hereby pledge not to post any more articles in the "Java and avoiding
software piracy?" thread.

Patricia

Joe Attardi

On Jul 24, 12:05 pm, Patricia Shanahan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I hereby pledge not to post any more articles in the "Java and avoiding
> software piracy?" thread.

Since I have become one of the biggest offenders in that thread, I
will pledge the same.

kaldrenon

Agreed. As far as the "Java and avoiding.." thread, I just entered
that arena, but if my comments evoke a response I'll take the
discussion elsewhere.

Sometimes OT discussions go interesting places, but it's important to
keep relevance in mind.

Joe Attardi

On Jul 24, 12:32 pm, kaldrenon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Sometimes OT discussions go interesting places, but it's important to
> keep relevance in mind.

I'll tell you one thing - I bet the OP of that thread is watching this
thinking, "What the hell did I start?!"
Just kidding OP, if you're still out there and we haven't scared you
away yet.

Wojtek

Joe Attardi wrote :
> On Jul 24, 12:32 pm, kaldrenon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Sometimes OT discussions go interesting places, but it's important to
>> keep relevance in mind.

> I'll tell you one thing - I bet the OP of that thread is watching this
> thinking, "What the hell did I start?!"
> Just kidding OP, if you're still out there and we haven't scared you
> away yet.

Oh, it was not an idle post.

There are always individuals that take EVERYTHING personally, so I
expect some sort of, um, retribution. After 15+ years of newsgroups, I
have pretty well seen it all. Actually I find attacks on me amusing,
that the poster has nothing else to fall back on except personal
attacks.

In other words, attack me, lose the discussion. Sad really...

--
Wojtek

Wojtek

Just to give some statistics:

Java and Avoiding Piracy - 208 posts
The modernization of EMACS - 329 posts

But the all time winner is:

Giving an application a window in a sensible way - 671 posts

--
Wojtek