Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Panasonic challenges Olympus for P&S mediocrity crown

Panasonic challenges Olympus for P&S mediocrity crown

Rich

18x zoom. And of course the miserable, noisy, dynamic range"less" and
tiny 1/2.5" sensor. Why is it what most appeals to the uninformed is
always the worst choice possible? Where are the P&S cameras with high
quality 5x zooms and 2/3"s sensors?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0707/07...fz18.asp#specs

Scott W

Rich wrote:
> 18x zoom. And of course the miserable, noisy, dynamic range"less" and
> tiny 1/2.5" sensor. Why is it what most appeals to the uninformed is
> always the worst choice possible? Where are the P&S cameras with high
> quality 5x zooms and 2/3"s sensors?
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0707/07...fz18.asp#specs

I believe that the inexpensive DSLRs have killed the market for really
good P&S cameras.

Scott

James Silverton

Scott wrote on Tue, 24 Jul 2007 07:29:36 -1000:

SW> Rich wrote:
??>> 18x zoom. And of course the miserable, noisy, dynamic
??>> range"less" and tiny 1/2.5" sensor. Why is it what most
??>> appeals to the uninformed is always the worst choice
??>> possible? Where are the P&S cameras with high quality 5x
??>> zooms and 2/3"s sensors?
??>>
??>>
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0707/07...fz18.asp#specs
??>>
SW> I believe that the inexpensive DSLRs have killed the market
SW> for really good P&S cameras.

That's not my opinion . I like a camera that I can put in my
pocket and I suspect a lot of others do too. For this purpose I
don't want a long zoom as long as it will go from moderate wide
angle (28mm equiv) to about 100mm (equiv) and have optical
stabilization. Being old fashioned, I like an optical finder
since monitor screens still wash out in bright light.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Paul Mitchum

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 18x zoom. And of course the miserable, noisy, dynamic range"less" and
> tiny 1/2.5" sensor. Why is it what most appeals to the uninformed is
> always the worst choice possible? Where are the P&S cameras with high
> quality 5x zooms and 2/3"s sensors?
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0707/07...fz18.asp#specs

I was looking at the Samsung NV line (the NV11 in particular), which
seems to have nice optics (and nice optics, if you know what I mean).
It's still a small sensor, though.

--
http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2..._argument.html

Bob Williams

Rich wrote:
> 18x zoom. And of course the miserable, noisy, dynamic range"less" and
> tiny 1/2.5" sensor. Why is it what most appeals to the uninformed is
> always the worst choice possible? Where are the P&S cameras with high
> quality 5x zooms and 2/3"s sensors?
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0707/07...fz18.asp#specs

Panasonic's new 7MP, L1, DSLR uses a 4/3" sensor and they will doubtless
have Leica develop some great lenses for this size sensor.
Now if they can use that experience to build a 7 MP, 4/3", P/S with an
I.S. Superzoom like the FZ series,(I'll even settle for 6X) they will
OWN the P/S market. I can dream, can't I?
Bob Williams

Michael Johnson

Scott W wrote:
> Rich wrote:
>> 18x zoom. And of course the miserable, noisy, dynamic range"less" and
>> tiny 1/2.5" sensor. Why is it what most appeals to the uninformed is
>> always the worst choice possible? Where are the P&S cameras with high
>> quality 5x zooms and 2/3"s sensors?
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0707/07...fz18.asp#specs
>>

> I believe that the inexpensive DSLRs have killed the market for really
> good P&S cameras.

Wait until Canon and Sony start supplying low noise CMOS sensors for the
P&S market. Then the P&S segment might start taking a big chunk from
DSLR sales.

John Sheehy

Scott W <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:46a63701$0$29690
$(E-Mail Removed):

> I believe that the inexpensive DSLRs have killed the market for really
> good P&S cameras.

I have noticed in NYC that lately the typical photographer taking more than
vacation snapshots is using a DSLR, usually a budget-end Nikon.

--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

David J Taylor

Michael Johnson wrote:
[]
> Wait until Canon and Sony start supplying low noise CMOS sensors for
> the P&S market. Then the P&S segment might start taking a big chunk
> from DSLR sales.

I don't think that Canon will do that if it hits profits from their DSLRs
and accessories.

David

Hermit

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
wrote in message news:hiBpi.3621$(E-Mail Removed) k...
> Michael Johnson wrote:
> []
>> Wait until Canon and Sony start supplying low noise CMOS sensors for
>> the P&S market. Then the P&S segment might start taking a big chunk
>> from DSLR sales.

> I don't think that Canon will do that if it hits profits from their DSLRs
> and accessories.
>
> David

Absolutely!

Sell a P&S - sell a camera.

Sell a DSLR - sell the whole system.

SMS

Hermit wrote:
> "David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
> wrote in message news:hiBpi.3621$(E-Mail Removed) k...
>> Michael Johnson wrote:
>> []
>>> Wait until Canon and Sony start supplying low noise CMOS sensors for
>>> the P&S market. Then the P&S segment might start taking a big chunk
>>> from DSLR sales.

>> I don't think that Canon will do that if it hits profits from their DSLRs
>> and accessories.
>>
>> David

> Absolutely!
>
> Sell a P&S - sell a camera.
>
> Sell a DSLR - sell the whole system.

At least Canon has said that they will be using their own CMOS sensors
in some of their non-D-SLR cameras.

I doubt if they think that it will hurt D-SLR sales, at least not as
much as it will help P&S sales. The sensors may help the noise problem,
but they'll do nothing for other P&S issues like shutter lag.

[ANN] crown 1.0.0 Joel VanderWerf Ruby 5 08-20-2009 05:13 PM
Gates loses his crown to a Mexican GreenieLeBrun Computer Support 4 07-07-2007 12:32 AM
The Growing Dependency on Mass Mediocrity Silverstrand Front Page News 0 09-01-2006 04:01 PM
budget CPU takes crown Nova NZ Computing 15 05-12-2006 02:22 AM
Queen or Crown Plato Computer Support 13 12-16-2004 08:17 AM

Advertisments